Search for New Mayo Manager

Started by IolarCoisCuain, September 28, 2015, 11:17:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Shrewdness on September 30, 2015, 09:45:00 AM
Have heard the name of a prominent member of the Mayo team, who is '' rumoured'' to have been one of the 7 players who voted to keep H/C in charge. However, there aren't any quotes directly from the player himself, so i don't think he should have been named... I know i'm from a different county, but i feel a bit sorry for H/C. They maintained Div 1 status, won 5 in a row in Connacht by a record margin, and then lost an AISF in a replay, to the eventual winners..

And likely would have won it if Keegan had put the ball over the bar and O'Sé had kept his cool and avoided the black card. 

blanketattack

Mayo players must have been listening to the interviews with Conor Deegan and James McCartan recently where they spoke about a similar mutiny in the Down camp in 93 and without any changes in management won the following years All-Ireland

Farrandeelin

Meeting tomorrow, not next Thursday. Apologies Vincent.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: ck on September 29, 2015, 12:10:36 PM
Can any Mayo people tell us what the issues with the two lads where? Why are the players against them? Is it just basic incompetence?
Indirectly I have heard that a number of players questioned their commitment as Connelly wasn't always there due to work?

Player power continues it seems. Best thing the two lads can do is resign as soon as
This row has been going on for quite some time; it's not a case of players reacting badly to the loss of the semi-final or anything like that.
Definitely, at the time Mayo played Dublin in the league, it was plain for all to see that there was  something seriously wrong going on behind the scenes.
James Horan took the unprecedented step of appealing to the Mayo coach, Donie Buckley, to step in and sort things out (or something like that.)
From what I hear, players are unhappy at the cut back in expenses. Horan stood up to the county board, same as Mickey Moram did and look where it got him!  I'm told  that now even the bloody sandwiches are counted at  the end of training sessions.
I can understand the Board's pov to an extent alright; they have to worry about a whole assload of other expenses and not just the senior panel. But IMO it's extremely mean-spirited to cut back on the facilities the panel enjoyed under Horan. The vast majority have sweated and slaved for five years or more and they have every reason to believe that they are up to the standard required to lift the Sam  Maguire. It's not as if they don't earn their keep.
After all, the thousands that follow the team pay good money at the gate and they don't come along to see Laurel and Hardy arsing about on the sideline. There are other issues causing the present standoff but they are only hearsay.
In any event, the two buckos were dead men walking as soon as they took on the gig.

Pateen said first of all that he wasn't interested in replacing Horan. Then he made a dramatic U turn and re-entered the proceedings. It was obvious to the dogs in the street that he was letting himself be used - anything to stop Kevin McStay. Same goes for Connelly- he came out of nowhere- maybe it's just coincidence that he happens to be Mike's brother!
In common-or-garden English both were parachuted in to save the Board's blushes. The players have earned the respect of all concerned with Mayo football and if they are not happy, gobshites like Carney won't  make things any better.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

macdanger2

This vote of no-confidence has nothing to do with the results (which were generally better than what I would have expected at the start of the year) or player selection and everything to do with the team preparation over the course of the year. Malachy Clerkin's piece in the Times mentions of few of these - from what I can see, no single complaint represents a "smoking gun" of incompetence but combined I guess the players felt the whole setup was amateur compared to what they were used to. I'd imagine that this feeling around the team setup contributed to Buckley leaving also.

It's worth remembering that C&H were U21 managers from 06-09 so it's not a case of the team simply being used to Horan's methods since a large chunk of the senior players would have served under them (and won an AI in 06) at one stage or another.

Farrandeelin

Keegan, ALLEGEDLY voted in favour of H+C.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

MusclesMagoo

Quote from: Farrandeelin on September 30, 2015, 11:46:32 AM
Keegan, ALLEGEDLY voted in favour of H+C.

He didn't. The only spin that's coming out is coming from H/C. The players have not come out and said anything in public as yet. The fact that Pat Holmes saw fit to run to the local papers with it speaks volumes about the level of respect that they have for this group of players.

Nihilist

Quote from: MusclesMagoo on September 30, 2015, 11:50:19 AM

He didn't. The only spin that's coming out is coming from H/C. The players have not come out and said anything in public as yet. The fact that Pat Holmes saw fit to run to the local papers with it speaks volumes about the level of respect that they have for this group of players.
Why do you say it was Pat Homes only? Surely it could have been either of the Connelly brother or someone else for that matter as well? Or do you just see Pat solely as the issue here?

JoG2

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on September 30, 2015, 09:56:22 AM
Quote from: Shrewdness on September 30, 2015, 09:45:00 AM
Have heard the name of a prominent member of the Mayo team, who is '' rumoured'' to have been one of the 7 players who voted to keep H/C in charge. However, there aren't any quotes directly from the player himself, so i don't think he should have been named... I know i'm from a different county, but i feel a bit sorry for H/C. They maintained Div 1 status, won 5 in a row in Connacht by a record margin, and then lost an AISF in a replay, to the eventual winners..

And likely would have won it if Keegan had put the ball over the bar and O'Sé had kept his cool and avoided the black card.

agree with all this. Have a good few Mayo players lost the run of themselves?

rodney trotter

The players apparently didn't want McHale involved in the management with Kevin McStay last year because of comments Mchale made about them in a local Mayo paper.

They don't want the current 2, who do they want?

Syferus

Quote from: rodney trotter on September 30, 2015, 12:41:14 PM
The players apparently didn't want McHale involved in the management with Kevin McStay last year because of comments Mchale made about them in a local Mayo paper.

Mayo posters have repeatedly said that was the Mayo CB seeding BS to support their agenda.  That's the more believable of the two possibilities too.

rodney trotter

Maybe the ballina posters were saying. Mchale does talk a lot of shite, made no impression with Cavan this year.

Syferus

Quote from: rodney trotter on September 30, 2015, 01:05:52 PM
Maybe the ballina posters were saying. Mchale does talk a lot of shite, made no impression with Cavan this year.

In fairness he wasn't working with forwards the calibur of what he has now..  :-X

weareros

Quote from: Syferus on September 30, 2015, 12:46:33 PM
Quote from: rodney trotter on September 30, 2015, 12:41:14 PM

Mayo posters have repeatedly said that was the Mayo CB seeding BS to support their agenda.  That's the more believable of the two possibilities too.

That raises the question why the players never corrected the record when a clearly dejected McHale said he never saw himself involved with Mayo again upon hearing the news and when McStay stated that the players were over-sensitive (God bless their sensitive souls or something to that effect were his words) if that was the reason he was not considered. Why would they not correct the record with two highly respected Mayo legends if they had not objected to McHale? And what were the words in the local Mayo press that so rattled them?

MusclesMagoo

Quote from: Nihilist on September 30, 2015, 11:59:23 AM
Quote from: MusclesMagoo on September 30, 2015, 11:50:19 AM

Why do you say it was Pat Homes only? Surely it could have been either of the Connelly brother or someone else for that matter as well? Or do you just see Pat solely as the issue here?
No I don't and you could probably have included Noel in that as well but I only know about Pat being behind the story whereas anyone elses involvement I'm not 100% sure of.