Mayo Millionaire backer withholds Money

Started by TheGreatest, September 26, 2019, 08:59:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

weareros

larryin89

Is the  supporters foundation organisation now defunct ?
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

rosnarun

Amazing efficiency by mayo county board  almost as though thy had the Statement  pre-prepared
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

five points

Quote from: rosnarun on February 25, 2020, 11:37:10 AM
Amazing efficiency by mayo county board  almost as though thy had the Statement  pre-prepared

It was surely only a matter of time before it would be needed.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: five points on February 25, 2020, 11:54:33 AM
Quote from: rosnarun on February 25, 2020, 11:37:10 AM

It was surely only a matter of time before it would be needed.
Arra, I dunno. ;D
I mean the Mayo secretary called poor Tim a donkey in an email and some bright spark got the idea to play Shoe the Donkey on the pa system at a game on Mchale and Timmy still forgave the whole sodden lot of them.
Now, he just let slip what the entire CB are probably thinking and the board tells him to frig off. Doesn't seem fair to me.
In all seriousness although, I think the parting of the ways was coming and if it wasn't te Tweet, it would have been something else.
It's a great pity but since neither party is spilling the beans, I can't pass judgement.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

ballinaman

Rudi

Quote from: ballinaman on February 25, 2020, 01:23:29 PM
100% right call by the board.

I agree, shameful comment. Blaming drink for stupidity is a cop out.

thegreeenandgold

Said something stupid when he was drunk, not a whole pile different from any amount of GAA followers.  He apologised and removed said tweet, christ Mayo County Board are they that stupid! Maybe trawling the corners of Mayo with raffle tickets will rise them from their stupidity.  You should never look a gift horse in the mouth,  O Leary is passionate and like us all says stupid things at times.  But the treatment he gets for funding Mayo is nothing short of farcical.  Mayo = give us your money and say SFA.  Leave the GAA to the lads who would be hard pressed to put a €5 in the pot.

rosnarun

Quote from: thegreeenandgold on February 25, 2020, 04:33:22 PM
Said something stupid when he was drunk, not a whole pile different from any amount of GAA followers.  He apologised and removed said tweet, christ Mayo County Board are they that stupid! Maybe trawling the corners of Mayo with raffle tickets will rise them from their stupidity.  You should never look a gift horse in the mouth,  O Leary is passionate and like us all says stupid things at times.  But the treatment he gets for funding Mayo is nothing short of farcical.  Mayo = give us your money and say SFA.  Leave the GAA to the lads who would be hard pressed to put a €5 in the pot.
it would have been fine had he been a regular follower but he was not . he was like he Israelis promising a peace deal and starting a new settlement  straight away.
the most we can hope for now is he'll go quietly and not restart the court case maybe stretching things too far but maybe other members of the foundation could keep it going?
after all it was for the good of the GAA in mayo rather than as a sign of support for tim o leary .
Personally I think the apology should have been accepted and if they did not want to deal with him he should be told without any hiding

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Rudi on February 25, 2020, 04:05:35 PM
Quote from: ballinaman on February 25, 2020, 01:23:29 PM
100% right call by the board.

I agree, shameful comment. Blaming drink for stupidity is a cop out.

Another plus 1 here. For a drunken message there were no spelling mistakes. I initially thought he had the right intention, but his outbursts, however sporadically they will be are not what the GAA is about.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Dubhaltach

Quote from: thegreeenandgold on February 25, 2020, 04:33:22 PM

You should look back over his list of 'demands' last December. What's clear is that he thought that his money could buy him a position of influence in Mayo GAA. Definite right call by the board.

blast05

All might have apparently been rosy in the garden from January when statements were released and all was good again again after the election of the new executive.
However, from my view of it, 3 or 4 tweets from O'Leary where he was watching a Mayo match on GAAGO while drinking a €500 bottle of wine (the bottle strategically placed so that everyones was curiosity was perked as to what the brand was and how much it cost) was just the wrong 'look'..... Attention seeking. 'Look how wealthy i am'. 'Now get busy and massage my ego with your replies.'

The tweet on Saturday .... well, one of the problems was it was 'tweets'. He initially sent the tweet with 'Horan out' at end of rugby game and then quickly deleted it after a couple of comments back to him. Then a couple of hours later, it went up again and he engaged a few people with replies.
Again, this is all a bad 'look' .... smacks of a presumption that he actually has some influence in decision making in the county.

My feeling/suspicion is that there are other wealthy people who will now get on board given the better governance plus the impressive people now in the key executive positions; and moreso that any money they contribute won't ultimately be feeding the perception that 'Tim O'Leary is doing a great job' and helping boost his ego, i.e.: he gets credit for money others are contributing.

Bottom line, O'Leary violated the agreements made with the county board and it was a binary simple and correct decision as a consequence. Time to move on and switch the focus back exclusively to the pitch (while also calling out those half-wits who abuse players on social media)

rosnarun

QuoteTime to move on and switch the focus back exclusively to the pitch (while also calling out those half-wits who abuse players on social media)

I missed that  and only saw the reaction.
who was being targeted. The only players that really seem to get abuse on the mayo team are hennely, S coen and previously Drake

Rossfan

Thankfully we have a dignified backer.
Well he would be dignified being a Rosman.
Sure we have an unfair advantage.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

J70

Was just reading about this lad. I'd assumed he was some ex-pat made good abroad. Turns out he's a Londoner who supports England in the soccer and lives in the Bahamas. Nothing wrong with that (I've London-born and based cousins who go to some Donegal games), just the England support coupled with GAA obsession is unusual.