AFL Season 2015

Started by Aerlik, April 26, 2015, 09:18:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aerlik

Round 18

Well....

Richmond 71-53 Hawthorn
The result the nation did not anticipate, unless of course you are a Tigers fan and even then only the most optimistic, surely, must've thought they'd win.  It was a great win in many ways.  A great effort by the Tigers and great for other teams in the Top 4.  Perhaps the unstoppable juggernaut is not as fallible as anticipated.

Geelong 113-57 Brisbane.
You've got to feel for Pearce.  Another shite performance.

Melbourne 91-54 Collingwood
Can the season get much worse for the Pies?  The second of the shocks for the round.  Many anticipated a Collingwood win to keep their final's chances alive but the Demons just wanted to win more.

Sydney 117-65 Adelaide
Now we're talking.   This was a game steeped in significance.  The fans came out in support of their stalwart, Adam Goodes, the victim of some awful racist discrimination in the past few weeks culminating in the disgraceful performance of the other WA team's fans last Sunday.  Goodes decided not to play to get away from the hassle and Jetta acknowledged his mentor with an indigenous dance to celebrate his first goal.

North Melbourne 118-54 Carlton
Yet more shite.

Gold Coast 83-83 Themmuns.
A goal with four seconds remaining drove 50% of Western Australia into elated joy and the rest into agony.  The former being Freo fans supporting the Suns (me included) the latter being, well, themmuns.  A hugely significant result for the table as a result would've put the eagles on top again.  Not to be.  Hark is that the sound of gnashing teeth I hear?

Port Adelaide 112-49
Nuff said.

Western Bulldogs 127 - 47 Essendon
The agony compounds itself I thind.

Fremantle 84-63 Greater Western Sydney
Not the most impressive win, but I'll take a win. 

To find his equal an Irishman is forced to talk to God!

AZOffaly

Quote from: Aerlik on August 05, 2015, 02:24:30 PM
Round 18

Well....

Richmond 71-53 Hawthorn
The result the nation did not anticipate, unless of course you are a Tigers fan and even then only the most optimistic, surely, must've thought they'd win.  It was a great win in many ways.  A great effort by the Tigers and great for other teams in the Top 4.  Perhaps the unstoppable juggernaut is not as fallible as anticipated.

Geelong 113-57 Brisbane.
You've got to feel for Pearce.  Another shite performance.

Melbourne 91-54 Collingwood
Can the season get much worse for the Pies?  The second of the shocks for the round.  Many anticipated a Collingwood win to keep their final's chances alive but the Demons just wanted to win more.

Sydney 117-65 Adelaide
Now we're talking.   This was a game steeped in significance.  The fans came out in support of their stalwart, Adam Goodes, the victim of some awful racist discrimination in the past few weeks culminating in the disgraceful performance of the other WA team's fans last Sunday.  Goodes decided not to play to get away from the hassle and Jetta acknowledged his mentor with an indigenous dance to celebrate his first goal.

North Melbourne 118-54 Carlton
Yet more shite.

Gold Coast 83-83 Themmuns.
A goal with four seconds remaining drove 50% of Western Australia into elated joy and the rest into agony.  The former being Freo fans supporting the Suns (me included) the latter being, well, themmuns.  A hugely significant result for the table as a result would've put the eagles on top again.  Not to be.  Hark is that the sound of gnashing teeth I hear?

Port Adelaide 112-49
Nuff said.

Western Bulldogs 127 - 47 Essendon
The agony compounds itself I thind.

Fremantle 84-63 Greater Western Sydney
Not the most impressive win, but I'll take a win.

What's this about? I haven't heard anything but I've been away. Racist abuse is big news in US Sports and Soccer, but I'm not sure I've heard of a lad missing a game, or choosing to miss a game, because of it?

gallsman

If you listen to podcasts, there was a great one about him on off the ball last week. Basically Australia is full of racist c***ts.

Aerlik

It has been a couple of weeks for various reasons, none less than the fekkers who invaded my laptop.  Be gone satan.  Anyhow, it has been a massive two weeks and as we near the end of the regular season nothing is confirmed regarding which team will finish where.  Except Carlton and Brisbane.  Both shite and both bottom of the heap.

Round 19

Adelaide 88-52 Richmond.
Only a week before, we were lauding and cheering as the Tigers beat the Hawks comprehensively in a great game of Friday Night Footy.  Fast forward a week and the Tigers fans must have been ropeable.  Another great game of footy for the neutral.

Collingwood 107-87 Carlton
Yep, Carlton lose again.  They were in it up to three-quarter time but then Collingwood pulled away.  Both teams can't wait for the end of the season, I bet.

Western Bulldogs 128-64 Port Adelaide
The battle of the most improved versus the biggest flops for this season.  Score says it all I suppose.  I didn't watch the game and I believe I didn't miss much.

Gold Coast 114-100 Brisbane.
Nearly as bad as the pies-blues game for boredom.  Both teams are light years behind the top 5 teams in the league.

Geelong 95-63 Sydney
A magnificent effort from the Cats keeping their finals chances alive while Sydney get knocked out of the top 4 after this loss being replaced by Western Bulldogs.  Credit, too, to the Cats fans showing respect and dignity towards Adam Goodes on his first game back after the racism he was shown by themmuns' "fans".

Hawthorn 88-74 Themmuns
This was a great game to watch especially the last 17 minutes when the Hawks staged a late comeback to win.  Cyril Rioli, what a player.  Cue the gurning and whinging from the themmuns-biased WA media. 

North Melbourne 127-92 Melbourne
Not a bad effort from the demons who weren't expected to put up any show against the roos.  North are plodding along nicely and are surely going to make the top 8 this season.

Greater Western Sydney 93-61 Essendon
Oh dear, oh dear oh dear oh dear.  Drivvel. 

Fremantle 96-59 St. Kilda
A good solid win for the Dockers scoring at will in the first half, including 7 goals from their first 7 entries into the Saints' 50. 

So at the end of the round, Freo are 10 clear of themmuns and 12 ahead of Hawthorn.

Aerlik

Round 20 (Groan)

Sydney 87-76 Collingwood
A decent game to watch made all the more enjoyable by the fact that Collingwood actually made a real go of it and could've won.  Another week without Buddy but still the Swans are floating around the Top 4.  However, finals footy is all but over for the pies now.

Adelaide 171-59 Essendon
And to think I tipped Essendon for this game.  Sweet mother of mercy what was I thinking?  And the coach, James Hird, was sacked two days later.  The WADA  drug findings are not long away either.  Hmmmm...

North Melbourne 120-83 St. Kilda
North just keep on winning and are sitting nicely in the top 8.  Brent Harvey has just resigned for the 2016 season potentially making him the competition's games played record holder.

Port Adelaide 111-90 Greater Western Sydney
Port are not giving up without a fight to play finals footy this season.  Not the most comprehensive win of their season but they are still in with a mathematical chance of getting to the finals.  GWS, however, will be struggling.

Hawthorn 121-85 Geelong.
Yep, it was that good.    Some unit is the Hawks.  Great game to watch with some great play.  And did I mention Cyril Rioli before?  The man's a magician.

Brisbane 131-67 Carlton
Yep, that is just how pathetic Carlton are right now.  And both teams have players wanting to leave...wonder why.

Richmond 138-55 Gold Coast Suns
A comprehensive win for the Tigers who will play finals footy if they keep on playing like this, and who knows, maybe take a big scalp with them.

Western Bulldogs 153-55 Melbourne
There is a reason why the doggies are in the top 4.  A mauling of the demons is putting it politely.

Themmuns 104-80 Fremantle.
Not happy, Not happy at all.  All over us in the first quarter and kicked 7 to 1 and we were playing catch up after that.  But the game will be remembered for two unsavoury incidences.  Firstly, I say it again that I am against any type of thuggery on any sports pitch.  So, onto the incidents.
Firstly, Alex Silvagni's strike to the head of the Eagles player was wrong, just wrong and he got a 4 week suspension for it.  Deserved, in my opinion.
However...

Secondly, Chris Masten biting a player's arm and then only getting two weeks and having the gall to say the player was lying is just typical of that trash organisation and the reason why it is so hated by other clubs in the AFL.  The WA media was pointing the finger at the Freo player saying he shouldn't have complained to the ref; the Eastern States media had other opinions which sadly don't reflect those of the Tribunal who only gave out two weeks suspension.    This has created much bad blood in WA and it will be interesting to see how things pan out as the season progresses especially if both teams meet in the final.  Now that will be fun.

Still, Freo sit atop the ladder six points clear. 

TabClear

Watched  the eagles Freo game and as Aerlik said, the dockers didn't show up until the second quarter and left themselves to much to do.  West coast have some serious firepower up front in Darling and Kennedy.     

Hawks defeat at Richmond a couple of rounds back could be crucial. If Freo and the eagles win their remaining games then the hawks will have to win on the West Coast at some point. Having watched them against geelong they will still be favourites but it might close the gap.  Some of the football they have played this year has been incredible.  Rioli 8)

Geelong showed enough to be an outside bet for an upset in the finals.  Selwood is a class act. They play the crows on the last day which could be for the final spot in the eight.

Club Rossa

Hawks lose to Port :-[
The 3 in a row does not look the cert it was 4-5 weeks ago.

smort

Club Rossa

18 goals in 15 VFL games.It seems the Essendon fans have high hopes for Conor.

Aerlik

Round 21
Only two rounds to go and things are still not clear cut as to which team finishes where.  This has been an enthralling last month of AFL footy.  And what a result to start of the round...

Port Adelaide 108-86 Hawthorn
Bloody hell, what a final quarter by Port.  What has happened this team this year?  Why weren't they doing this all season?  Ah questions, questions, questions but all too little too late methinks.  Anyways, it is great for Freo as it keeps the Hawks on a collision course with themmuns in the finals.  A superb game for the neutral and those of us who have Port as our second team.

Richmond 147-56 Collingwood
Massive result for the Tigers as it keeps them just in touch with the top 4 and that double chance.  I didn't see the game but watched the highlights.  I'm not sure if the Tigers were actually just that good or Collingwood totally shite.  One is inclined to presume the latter.

Sydney 133-44 Greater Western Sydney
The battle of the Bridge became a bit of a disaster for the new boys.  Even without the huge presence of Buddy Franklin, Sydney were waaaaay to strong for the Giants.   Still, many are not convinced that a fully fit Sydney squad are capable of winning the comp.  Interesting.

Gold Coast Suns 97-95 Essendon
And it gets worse.  Yet despite the loss this wasn't actually a bad game for the neutral, such was its closeness throughout. 

Geelong 97-97 St. Kilda
A disaster for Geelong.  They badly needed this win to keep in touch with the top 8 but, again, the neutral won't be complaining as this was good value viewing.  Both teams had their chances to seal a win but the first official draw of the season was the result.

Adelaide 131-44 Brisbane
Something tells me there is an outside chance for the flag and that team is not from WA or Victoria.

North Melbourne 94-83 Fremantle.
Jeeeeeeeeeeeezusss, you'd have heard me guldering at the TV during this final quarter of this game.  Fekkin disaster.  How the folk Freo gave up in the final quarter really pisses me off and reminds me of the horror days pre-2013.  Suddenly the Top position is slipping away to, ahem, themmuns down the road.  Horror of horrors, no less.

Carlton 78-55 Melbourne
Dung.

Themmuns 162-85 Western Bulldogs.
Sweet jaysus as if Freo throwing away the game against North Melbourne wasn't bad enough, we now have to contend with themmuns for the top spot.  And the meeeeejya are in overdrive here in WA now, salivating at the thought of a WA Grand Final.  Won't happen.   

So that is the end of that round.  Freo are STILL top of the league, yes still top of the league.  Themmuns are two points behind followed by Hawthorn. 
Am I nervous about next week?  Bloody oath as themmuns have a chance to steal our top spot. 

Aerlik

Round 22 – the round that sorted them all out (save for a couple of positions).

Collingwood 110-62 Geelong
From disaster to collapse this week for the cats and any chance of a finals berth this year.  On a positive note the return to the paddock after four years being out with a serious knee injury for Geelong player Josh Menzies was great to see and to cap it all off he kicked a few too.  Both teams are now officially out of the finals series.  It's many's a year since that happened.

Greater Western Sydney 132-51 Carlton
More crap.

Hawthorn 134-62
Ditto the above

Western Bulldogs 96-73 North Melbourne.
A great game to watch.  Real finals-like atmosphere and tension right up to the last few minutes when the dogs managed to pull away.   Both teams will play finals this year but when and where has yet to be decided such is the closeness of the comp of the top 8.
Richmond 74-47 Essendon
The only point of interest was the goal from Connor McKenna of Tyrone with his first kick in his first game of AFL footy.  Well done, chap (even if you are a bushman).  The tigers are clinging on to a minute hope of sneaking a top 4 place but will still be a potent force in Melbourne.

Port Adelaide 88-51 Gold Coast.
Not a great game to watch but Port did enough.  Oh how they must be kicking themselves at this stage of the competition.

Adelaide 126-69 Themmuns
Now whilst I was punching the air with every Adelaide goal, as was every Freo fan I'd imagine, one thing that came from this is the serious and genuine threat that Adelaide poses to the other finalists.  This was some win. 

Sydney 135-38 St. Kilda
Yep, nothing to see.  Shite.

Fremantle 108-54 Melbourne
Our win today coupled with the win by Adelaide means that with one game to go Fremantle are the 2015Minor Premiers, the first accolade the club has won in its 21-year history.  We sit top of the pile and have the huge advantage of two home finals and, as it transpired today, the luxury of resting anything up to eleven regular players for the last game against Port Adelaide next weekend.  And to think I was going to go to that game in anticipation of it being a must-win for Freo to win the league.
This game wasn't great to be honest and yet another third quarter fade-out has more than a few of us worried.  We shouted and we roared and we clapped and we cheered.  And we won.  It is a great feeling.  Now for the serious stuff. 

AZOffaly

Geelong, Carlton, Saint Kilda and Melbourne have no right being in the top division and should play a different competition.

AlriteHorse

Despite a few hints to Aerlik, he's been unable to get me a ticket for tomorrows game.  ;)

Hard to say what kind of shape the field will be in tomorrow after the bitta rain we had yday / today and then tonights game. I honestly don't fancy Swans chances though with Buddy missing, it may force players to raise the game.....even though Franklin had a fairly average season.

If Swans don't make the final, I'd love to see an All-Perth Final just to see the general mayhem it would cause here in Perth.
Allez les bleus! Forza azzurri!

Aerlik

Apologies for the delay.  Those fekkin gremlins in my computer came back but I think I've finally got rid of the wee hoors.

So, here it is, the last round for the 2015 season.  For Freo there was nothing to play for other than fulfilling a fixture as we could not be over taken.  In fact, the whole Top 8 was decided last week, and all that needed to be sorted were positions from two to eight with any number of possibilities eventuating depending on the results.

Richmond 108-67 North Melbourne
Yep, the result was par for the course when you decide to rest a dozen or so of your best players.  And why not, as the Roos had nothing to lose and not really alot to gain.  Nothing really of significance in this game.  The Tigers finished in fifth spot and the Roos in eighth.  Oh those losses to Freo and other weaker teams will haunt the Tigers.

Geelong 119-80 Adelaide
Adelaide would probably have been hoping that Geelong had decided not to renew Stevie Johnson's contract until after this game because if there is one thing that will spur a player, fan favourite and damned good player (albeit a bit of a thug), it was the news that his services were not needed.  And that is what happened as the Cats threw the form book out the window and belted the Crows.  Now why didn't the Cats play like this all year?  The Crows might regret this loss as it meant they were stuck on seventh spot.

Brisbane 130-122 Western Bulldogs
What?  How the blazes did the Lions manage to flop practically the whole season and yet turn on a show like this?  I dunno.  Ah well, the result meant the Bulldogs couldn't get better than sixth and luckily for them the Adelaide Crows lost.  Season over for the Lions, but some good shows form Pearse Hanley.

Port Adelaide 122-53 Freo "B" team
Yep, just a stroll in the park for both teams.  Nothing to gain.  The Power will look back on this as a bloody disaster.  Too many "coulda, woulda, shoulda" scenarios.

Hawthorn 113-56 Carlton
And the winner of the Wooden spoon is....Carlton.  What a shite season.  Utter garbage.  Where to from here?  I dunno.  Whilst he wasn't the worst, Tuohy didn't exactly set the world alight. 

Sydney 127-64 Gold Coast
A season that held so much promise for the Suns couldn't have come quickly enough and the Swans rubbed salt into the proverbial wounds.  The win guaranteed the Swans fourth spot and a chance at the double chance in the Finals.  What came to light afterwards was the Franklin had an epileptic fit the day before and still played this game.  Not all is well for the man.  Oh, and some season-ending injuries occurred to which will greatly affect the Swans chances.

Themmuns 125-30 St. Kilda
They had to win to secure second spot and they did.  But jaysus the bias of the media in Perth is fekkin painful.  You'd think first of all there was only one team in WA, then when it is brought to their attention that we exist, they yack on about Perth's "two" teams.  Nooo, we are not a Perth team.  We are Fremantle. 

Melbourne 103-77 Greater Western Sydney
Yep, the one game I was certain the Giants would win.   They didn't.   Wrecked my perfect 9/9 tipping chances.  Fekkit.  I even got the Richmond score difference bang on correct.

Essendon 95-92 Collingwood
What better time to kick the winning goal against one of your most hated rivals than in the last few seconds of the last game.  Not a bad game to watch to be honest.  But both teams will be really disappointed with their showings.  And as I predicted the Pies wouldn't make the finals.

So, that is it for another season...or, well, for ten of the eighteen teams, that is.

The final Top 8 standings were:
(1) Fremantle  ;D
(2) Themmuns
(3) Hawthorn
(4) Sydney
(5) Richmond
(6) Western Bulldogs
(7) Adelaide
(8) North Melbourne.

Dinny Breen

Any word on Paddy Brophy or Sean Hurley's progress?
#newbridgeornowhere