Donegal v Tyrone, Sunday Aug 5, Ballybofey

Started by Ball Hopper, July 21, 2018, 11:06:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blowitupref

I think Murphy more than Donegal is getting talked up too much based on that Roscommon game. Is it now ignored that Murphy was held to one score from play against both Fermanagh and Derry this summer? Best part of this Donegal team is their spread of different scorers, 3 of their last 4 games was into double figures.

Don't think Donegal are trying to get away from their defensive style its more the individual players are not as good as they were to carry out the defensive style they want to play and the loss of Eoghan Ban Gallagher will be huge.  One final bit this game will be played in August so what chance do Donegal have against Tyrone at their peak?

Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

J70

Quote from: Blowitupref on July 27, 2018, 04:52:49 PM
I think Murphy more than Donegal is getting talked up too much based on that Roscommon game. Is it now ignored that Murphy was held to one score from play against both Fermanagh and Derry this summer? Best part of this Donegal team is their spread of different scorers, 3 of their last 4 games was into double figures.

Don't think Donegal are trying to get away from their defensive style its more the individual players are not as good as they were to carry out the defensive style they want to play and the loss of Eoghan Ban Gallagher will be huge.  One final bit this game will be played in August so what chance do Donegal have against Tyrone at their peak?

Have you watched Donegal this year?

Blowitupref

Quote from: J70 on July 27, 2018, 05:22:34 PM

Many times.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

dlgael

Tough to call this game.
Paddy is a big loss but Odhran can do OK in his absence. Tyrone maybe a year further down the track than Donegal but our forwards are still (even without Paddy McBrearty) a good bit better than the Tyrone hybrid half back half forward animal. Ref McHugh, McNiallas, Murphy.

dlgael

Sludden a new venture. We need to do a Merchan job on him as it was shown he can be taken out of a game with close attention.

J70

Quote from: Blowitupref on July 27, 2018, 05:35:43 PM

Many times.

Well then you should know that Murphy has generally played out the field as playmaker and played extremely well, while Donegal's transition from ultra-defensive is absolutely tactical and intentional, starting with the press up on the opposition kick out.

On Eoghan Ban, I'm much less concerned about his loss than McBrearty. We've plenty of fast, ball carriers out of defense, even if they're not going quite the same level. McBrearty is irreplaceable, especially as Murphy will be needed out the field again against Tyrone.

Regardless, that's where we are. I see a Tyrone win too.

Therealdonald

I understand the point about Murphy, but sometimes he takes himself out of the game I feel purposely, to leave space for others. He's the most unselfish player in Ireland that way. If Donegal win and Murphy kicks zero points, doesn't bother him. If Bonner expects the Tyrone defence can be got at, I'd expect Murphy to play out round the middle.

Blowitupref

Quote from: J70 on July 27, 2018, 05:43:43 PM
Quote from: Blowitupref on July 27, 2018, 05:35:43 PM

Many times.

Well then you should know that Murphy has generally played out the field as playmaker and played extremely well, while Donegal's transition from ultra-defensive is absolutely tactical and intentional, starting with the press up on the opposition kick out.

On Eoghan Ban, I'm much less concerned about his loss than McBrearty. We've plenty of fast, ball carriers out of defense, even if they're not going quite the same level. McBrearty is irreplaceable, especially as Murphy will be needed out the field again against Tyrone.

Regardless, that's where we are. I see a Tyrone win too.

What year are you referring back to on the ultra defensive style because Donegal was a shambles in defence last summer especially against Galway and Tyrone.

From what i seen Murphy has been given the role to roam and he got much joy off Roscommon because they gave him the time and room to cause damage that won't happen against Tyrone. All the top teams look to press up on the opposition kick outs nowadays but again how much joy you get depends on the strength of the opposition.

Holding Down to 13 scores,Fermanagh to 12, Dublin to 17 and Roscommon to 13 didn't come about by abandoning their defensive style and i wouldn't surprised if this game v Tyrone isn't a similar contest to the Mayo v Donegal round 7 league game and in a low scoring contest the loss of McBrearty will be felt greatly.

Over the Bar

omagh_gael

What's the capacity of the ground? I wonder will it sell out. Couldn't order tickets through the club as I'll not know if I can go until Thursday or Friday. Wonder what the chances of getting a ticket online will be around Friday? No tickets currently available.

Fuzzman

Loads of free tickets available outside Healy park for the last game.
I always find that if you and stand around you'll get them, especially last minute

I never pay in to Croker any more  ;D

GalwayBayBoy

Donegal v Tyrone on RTE 1
Clare v Galway on RTE 2
Dublin v Roscommon on RTE News Now

omagh_gael

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/gaelic-games/45007830

There you are, she's a sell out. It'll be a case of having to land up in Ballybofey and take my chances.

Rossfan

Capacity reduced from 18K to 16,500 because it's an All ticket game.
Anyone know why that's done?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM