A United Ireland. Opening up the discussion.

Started by winghalfback, May 27, 2015, 03:16:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

armaghniac

Quote from: seafoid on November 02, 2018, 12:04:34 PM
I keep coming back to this quote by Stephen Rea

"Unionists were, and still are, cut off not just from Catholics and from Ireland, but from the world. It's pure isolation. And it is so drummed into the young that they cannot let go of these views."

If Irish is x, Unionism is 1-x

Good point. The Irish x has changed over the years and 1-x now doesn't have much left of any use.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

RedHand88

Long gone is the stereotype of the South being an economic wasteland compared to glorious Ulster. The tables have completely turned. Middle of the road people in the north are looking towards Dublin as a prosperous outlook looking city.

Solo_run

Quote from: RedHand88 on November 02, 2018, 12:53:23 PM
Long gone is the stereotype of the South being an economic wasteland compared to glorious Ulster. The tables have completely turned. Middle of the road people in the north are looking towards Dublin as a prosperous outlook looking city.

If I was living back over there I would be heading to Dublin but would live up north and commute.

The job market in Dublin is much better than what Belfast has to offer.

seafoid

I was in Lebanon a few years ago in a bar that had pictures of 60s Hollywood stars like Ryan O'Neal on the wall. Beirut used to be a financial centre and a place for the jet set but in 1975 the civil war started. After it ended in the early 90s finance had moved to the gulf and the jet set were somewhere else. You can't drop out of the world for 10 or 20 or 30 years to deal with sectarian headcounts and expect the world to wait.

Unionists are Brits and Brits are very bad at industrial strategy. Thatcher destroyed a lot of the UK industrial base in the 80s and put millions of people on disability. NI did something similar , dropped the industry and replaced it with nothing .It let the industrial knowledge it had fall away after shipbuilding etc got into trouble.
England could maybe afford to shaft the coalfields but NI could not afford to move everything to services or else to the public sector.   

The South never really had any industry so it didn't have to downsize and it has a fairly decent education system. Plus it is politically stable. If a company has to choose between the South and the North it is no contest. 

NI was only possible because of the economics at the time. Unionist economic hegemony since has been appalling.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

johnnycool

Quote from: Solo_run on November 02, 2018, 01:10:02 PM

If I was living back over there I would be heading to Dublin but would live up north and commute.

I know loads of lads and ladies either side of the political divide working and living in Dublin so looking towards Dublin actually means living there and I don't think that is the shinners strategy.

Solo_run

Quote from: johnnycool on November 02, 2018, 02:16:16 PM
Quote from: Solo_run on November 02, 2018, 01:10:02 PM

I know loads of lads and ladies either side of the political divide working and living in Dublin so looking towards Dublin actually means living there and I don't think that is the shinners strategy.

And to add to that there are probably quite a few from both sides leaving the North to go to uni somewhere else.

Walter Cronc

There may be plenty of jobs in Dublin but with the housing crisis, theres definitely a drop in the standard of living.

From having experience of working and living in London the grass isn't always greener. Yes you earn 30-40% more but you pay a mortgage for a room to rent so it balances out.

That's not to say Belfast/the north can't be improved greatly by a more sensible approach from the politicians.

ardtole

There are brickies from south Armagh commuting an hr at most each way to the north side of Dublin, with 1500 euro in their arse pocket on a Friday afternoon, maybe more. That would give you a very comfortable lifestyle in the north.

seafoid

Quote from: ardtole on November 02, 2018, 02:53:56 PM
There are brickies from south Armagh commuting an hr at most each way to the north side of Dublin, with 1500 euro in their arse pocket on a Friday afternoon, maybe more. That would give you a very comfortable lifestyle in the north.
Does Paul Hearty still deliver milk to Dublin?
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Rois

I'm typing this from the Enterprise train.

Wee Jeffrey Donaldson was hiding away at the back of the carriage I'm in and got off in Newry.

Would love to know what he thinks of the smoothness of AI infrastructure Surely a brief experience of how much sense it all makes.

He boycotted the toilets - the signs are bi-lingual. 

Franko

Quote from: Rois on November 02, 2018, 05:35:07 PM
I'm typing this from the Enterprise train.

Wee Jeffrey Donaldson was hiding away at the back of the carriage I'm in and got off in Newry.

Would love to know what he thinks of the smoothness of AI infrastructure Surely a brief experience of how much sense it all makes.

He boycotted the toilets - the signs are bi-lingual.

Probably down at the passport office.

yellowcard

Brickies taking home over €70k per annum so before tax over €100k gross a year??!!

Why would anybody go to college now when they can earn that sort of money. There are plenty of professional people earning nowhere near those sums.

trailer

Quote from: yellowcard on November 02, 2018, 10:09:18 PM

Brickies taking home over €70k per annum so before tax over €100k gross a year??!!

Why would anybody go to college now when they can earn that sort of money. There are plenty of professional people earning nowhere near those sums.

Bricklaying is seasonal work and it's also heavy work. You'd want €1500 if not more, a week. In fact I don't think I'd do it for €1500 a week.

armaghniac

Those professional people are probably not working in Dublin.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Tubberman

Quote from: trailer on November 02, 2018, 10:16:41 PM

Bricklaying is seasonal work and it's also heavy work. You'd want €1500 if not more, a week. In fact I don't think I'd do it for €1500 a week.

well its november now and brickies are still working so the off-season must be fairly short!
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."