Car Problems!!

Started by downgirl, January 04, 2009, 08:34:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Abble

if car is parked and warming up its possible to smell fumes, it doesnt even have to be in traffic....i hate thoughts of it tbh

Hereiam

Get air filter and pollen filter changed. Have exhaust checked on your own car incase it is faulty

macdanger2

Quote from: Abble on April 29, 2019, 08:38:08 AM
if car is parked and warming up its possible to smell fumes, it doesnt even have to be in traffic....i hate thoughts of it tbh

I don't own a VW but I had a similar problem on an opel - have a look underneath (jack up the car if needed) and see if the exhaust pipe just under where the engine bay ends looks corroded. It could be a hard pipe or a flexi.

paddyjohn

Could be an injector problem to. is it a 1.6 diesel?

Abble

Quote from: paddyjohn on April 29, 2019, 10:16:16 AM

it is

paddyjohn

Quote from: Abble on April 29, 2019, 11:10:20 AM
Quote from: paddyjohn on April 29, 2019, 10:16:16 AM

it is

Could be an injector, they give serious hassle on those cars.

Abble

also I will add, that if car is running at all at front of house, i will try to make and make sure the kids are in the car with the fan turned to off, the fumes around the car are bad also, not visible smokey type fumes, just bad exhaust smell of fumes, cant be good for anyones lungs

Rois

Accidentally put a small amount of coolant on top of a fairly fully brake fluid reservoir. Can i DIY fix it (car not being driven) or would I be best going to get it properly flushed? I sort of know it is the latter but just in case...

GJL

Quote from: Rois on May 02, 2019, 08:39:21 AM
Accidentally put a small amount of coolant on top of a fairly fully brake fluid reservoir. Can i DIY fix it (car not being driven) or would I be best going to get it properly flushed? I sort of know it is the latter but just in case...

Take no chances with brakes Rois. Needs completely flushed out. When it mixes with the brakes fluid your braking efficiency will reduce and the brake pedal will likely get a lot softer. It also has the potential to damage the rubber seals in the brake system.

Rois

Quote from: GJL on May 02, 2019, 09:01:08 AM

Take no chances with brakes Rois. Needs completely flushed out. When it mixes with the brakes fluid your braking efficiency will reduce and the brake pedal will likely get a lot softer. It also has the potential to damage the rubber seals in the brake system.
As I thought.  Would it cause much damage if I drove it (for the first time since putting the fluid in) to a garage about 1k away? 

GJL

Quote from: Rois on May 02, 2019, 10:04:51 AM
Quote from: GJL on May 02, 2019, 09:01:08 AM

As I thought.  Would it cause much damage if I drove it (for the first time since putting the fluid in) to a garage about 1k away?

Should be ok as the mechanic will completely flush the system with new fluid from the reservoir right down to each wheel.

toby47

Random one.

The near side of my driver seat has ended up with a 4-5 inch rip in it. People probably know where i'm talking about as it seems quite common.

1) I've never understood how the rip occurred/got worse over the past couple of year
2) What's the best way of fixing etc?

Aristo 60

Sounds like you just need your gluteus maximus resized 😆

toby47

Quote from: Aristo 60 on May 03, 2019, 08:43:37 AM
Sounds like you just need your gluteus maximus resized 😆

:o :o :-X

BenDover

Quote from: BenDover on April 25, 2019, 12:23:12 PM
I'm after some advice for 2 different problems  :'( :'(
Vauxhall Zafira 1.9 2008 - there last week when I went to start the car it made a kind of whirring noise - like something was spinning under the bonnet but wouldn't start first time. Turned of and tried a second time and car started no problem. This happened a few days in a row but then this week it's been starting no bother - any ideas? I've it booked into the garage for monday thinking it maybe the starter motor playing up. Recently fitted a new battery.

Ford S-Max 2.0 Automatic 2015 - within the last 2 weeks this car has been firing up a Transmission Function Limited or Transmission Malfunction message. With the limited message car goes into limp mode but won't go into reverse. On the Malfunction message no power goes to the wheels at all. Turning the car off and on clears the message for a short while. This car was ex mobility has 45k miles on it atm. We had it at a Ford dealer last week who told us the gearbox is meant to be serviced @ 37.5k miles or every 3 years whichever comes first. I got them to service the gearbox in the hope that would help, did Donegal over Easter weekend no bother but the Transmission messages came back on the other day. Has anyone ever had bother like this before? New gearbox is £2.5-3k when the cars driving everything seems fine there's no chugging between gear changes so I'm hopeful it's more electrical than mechanical.

I connected an OBDII to the car and this fault code appeared:
U0415 - invalid data received from the ABS control module.

I'm a little more hopeful that the issue isn't with the gearbox but with the ABS sensor/unit am I being too optimistic? Booked in with Ford on the 14th