Traveller attempts to rob family while they bury their son

Started by Tubberman, April 15, 2009, 09:35:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tubberman

I know some posters may say that the 'settled' community is prejudiced/discriminatory/racist against the 'Traveller' community (I can't see how Travellers are a different race tbh) but is it any wonder when you read this kind of thing.

Human behaviour doesn't get much lower than this  >:(

A SUSPICIOUS caller arrived at the house of dead Garda Robert McCallion on Monday while his family were attending his State funeral.

The man, who is understood to be a member of the Travelling community, entered the grounds of the McCallion home at Park Road, Swinford, Co. Mayo, some ten minutes after the family had departed for the funeral Mass in the local Our Lady Help of Christians Church.

When questioned about the purpose of his presence by a garda who was on duty, the man claimed that he wanted to sympathise with the family.

The head of the Mayo Garda Division, Chief Superintendent Tony McNamara, confirmed last night there had been an incident but added there had been no arrest and there would be no charges.

Chief Supt McNamara added: "It has been decided that in view of the extreme sensitivity of the whole situation the matter will not be taken any further."

The McCallion family, father, Bob; mother, Nancy; brother, John and sisters, Noreen and Deirdre, vacated the family home around 12.30pm for the funeral Mass.

It is understood the man who was under suspicion arrived on the scene about ten minutes later.

- Tom Shiel

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Gnevin

Quote from: Tubberman on April 15, 2009, 09:35:06 AM
I know some posters may say that the 'settled' community is prejudiced/discriminatory/racist against the 'Traveller' community (I can't see how Travellers are a different race tbh) but is it any wonder when you read this kind of thing.

Human behaviour doesn't get much lower than this  >:(

A SUSPICIOUS caller arrived at the house of dead Garda Robert McCallion on Monday while his family were attending his State funeral.

The man, who is understood to be a member of the Travelling community, entered the grounds of the McCallion home at Park Road, Swinford, Co. Mayo, some ten minutes after the family had departed for the funeral Mass in the local Our Lady Help of Christians Church.

When questioned about the purpose of his presence by a garda who was on duty, the man claimed that he wanted to sympathise with the family.

The head of the Mayo Garda Division, Chief Superintendent Tony McNamara, confirmed last night there had been an incident but added there had been no arrest and there would be no charges.

Chief Supt McNamara added: "It has been decided that in view of the extreme sensitivity of the whole situation the matter will not be taken any further."

The McCallion family, father, Bob; mother, Nancy; brother, John and sisters, Noreen and Deirdre, vacated the family home around 12.30pm for the funeral Mass.

It is understood the man who was under suspicion arrived on the scene about ten minutes later.

- Tom Shiel

Maybe it's just me but what's so suspicious about a man calling to the house?
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

ludermor

Ah come on Gnevin are you saying that they wouldnt have known the funeral was on? The town was in a near shutdown at that time and every man and his dog knew the times involved.

Tubberman

Do you really honestly believe he was calling to sympathise and just happened to arrive when everyone had left  ::)

QuoteIt is understood the man who was under suspicion arrived on the scene about ten minutes later.

And would the fact that he was already under suspicion not tell it's own tale

mouview

I've said it before and will again - Padraig Nally is a hero.

Hardy

This is not unusual. It's standard procedure. I don't know whether it's exclusively travellers, or travellers at all, but burglars have certainly been known to scan the death notices for funeral arrangements and plan their operations accordingly.

I had heard this for years, but assumed it to be modern myth until it happened on the day of my father-in-law's funeral. A neighbour was in to mind the house. A van pulled up outside and a man rang the doorbell. When it was answered, he asked for directions somewhere. This was in a street of maybe fifty houses. The family had been there 37 years. Nobody had ever called at the door to look for directions before.

nifan

yeah hardy - also weddings.

Happened to a mate of mine when I was at their wedding in Kilcoo.
House not that far from the church - went back to the house after the service and the place had been robbed. In and out under the hour.

Main Street

Quote from: Hardy on April 15, 2009, 10:28:11 AM
This is not unusual. It's standard procedure. I don't know whether it's exclusively travellers, or travellers at all, but burglars have certainly been known to scan the death notices for funeral arrangements and plan their operations accordingly.

I had heard this for years, but assumed it to be modern myth until it happened on the day of my father-in-law's funeral. A neighbour was in to mind the house. A van pulled up outside and a man rang the doorbell. When it was answered, he asked for directions somewhere. This was in a street of maybe fifty houses. The family had been there 37 years. Nobody had ever called at the door to look for directions before.
This thread headline is bull.
The scam is not exclusive to Travellers.
Observing the funeral arrangement details printed in newspapers to find a likely target to rob is well known and practiced by low lifes for decades.
Low lifes from the settled community.

Orior

It sounds like something that Undertakers should be advising their clients on.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Gnevin

Quote from: ludermor on April 15, 2009, 09:56:23 AM
Ah come on Gnevin are you saying that they wouldnt have known the funeral was on? The town was in a near shutdown at that time and every man and his dog knew the times involved.
Owe forgot the funeral was down the country and that the whole town would be shutdown. Up here once the car has moved to the church you wouldn't be able to tell.
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: nifan on April 15, 2009, 10:38:33 AM
yeah hardy - also weddings.

Happened to a mate of mine when I was at their wedding in Kilcoo.
House not that far from the church - went back to the house after the service and the place had been robbed. In and out under the hour.

Weddings,funerals or just Mass in general..
My late Grans house was done in the space of 45mins that she went to mass,she lived almost beside the Church too,so they were watching her movments which makes it even harder to take,to think these c***ts were watching a 80 year old and what she was doing.
They were caught and yes they were Travellers
You'll Never Walk Alone.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Hardy on April 15, 2009, 10:28:11 AM

same happened when we were of playing a championship match (v Trim) the whole family (still living at hme at the time) obv went to watch and they headed home to find a hiace van parked out the front and two early teens in at the front door looking around nervously
when my father pulled the car into the drive and got out and asked them what were they looking for, they said 'the main road' (the N4) which was 150 yards away and both visibly and aubibly obvious as to where it was.
this isnt just the preserve of travellers, but this crew most def were, and maybe it was just a random casing of an apparantly empty house, but if they had info on the family movements or that it was a big football household and they coul dcall whenever a championship game was on, well it makes ya wonder where they get their info - as they were def not from around that area.

the parents were relieved that myself and the brothers didnt arrive back when they did.

which was

Tubberman

QuoteWeddings,funerals or just Mass in general..
My late Grans house was done in the space of 45mins that she went to mass,she lived almost beside the Church too,so they were watching her movments which makes it even harder to take,to think these c***ts were watching a 80 year old and what she was doing.
They were caught and yes they were Travellers

Same thing happened to my granny. She was in her 80s at the time living alone in a rural area. She went into the dining room one day to see a man peering in the window (where there was a fair amount of 'good furniture' as it was called). When she asked him what he was doing he said he was selling gates and wanted to talk to the man of the house. The granny said he was up the fields and would be back soon with the shotgun so you better go quick!  :D (the grandfather was dead over 10 years at this stage).
The man left in his van but he knew well there was no man there I'm sure. The following mroning Sunday neighbours spotted travellers parked up on the side of the road which wouldn't have been common in our village. Granny left to travel over to our house for a visit (we lived about an hour away at the time). When she came back the next day, the dining room had been cleared of all the good furniture.
The gardai said they knew it was Travellers from Ballina but could never prove it or prosecute  >:(
So I'd have very little sympathy for them because of that, and because I lived next door to an infamous Co. Galway pub that served Traveller weddings and funerals - you wouldn't believe the neck on some of them. My mother opened the front door once to find two traveller women walking out of our garage wheeling the 3 bikes belonging to myself, brother and sister.

ludermor

Quote from: Gnevin on April 15, 2009, 11:11:49 AM
Quote from: ludermor on April 15, 2009, 09:56:23 AM
Owe forgot the funeral was down the country and that the whole town would be shutdown. Up here once the car has moved to the church you wouldn't be able to tell.

Im not sure if you are being serious or not but just to emphasise that it was a state funeral in a very small town and the town literally did shut down, this wasnt just a normal funeral.
Mainstreet
How is the title bull? A traveller was responsible, just because settled scum also do this does not take away from the fact it was a traveller this time.
What would be a PC title for you 'Homo Sapien' attempts to rob family while they bury their son??

Main Street

It's xenophobia hidden under the well worn "well I am only relaying the facts" excuse.
A suspicious person was responsible for the suspicious conspiracy behaviour.

If 5 Travellers are included in the 100 rape prosecutions in Mayo,  it's xenophobic to headline Traveller  whenever a Traveller is prosecuted for rape without pointing out that the vast majority of 95 are from the well educated respectable settled community.

Big fecking shocking exposure,   "we have crime in Ireland" ::)