Should Tyrone speak to RTE

Started by CD, August 20, 2018, 11:17:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lenny

Quote from: redhandefender on August 21, 2018, 01:30:12 AM
RTE is probably the worst channels on tv atm. Production value is brutal and it's like a step back in time. Streaming player is worthless.

I personally couldn't care less if they speak to them or not.

Forget your tyrone prejudices. Rte is one of a small number of free to air channels available in Ireland. It's the best of those channels by far in terms of content. There are lots of people who cannot afford sky, virgin or any of the pay tv options which can be very expensive. Rte is an essential public broadcaster which provides a very good service in the main. I have a couple of elderly aunts and uncles who live in the south and they totally rely on rte.

haranguerer

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on August 21, 2018, 12:21:49 AM
Off the football field, there are a number of issues that Mickey Harte holds that I wouldn't agree with, but he's very well entitled to hold such positions bar the letter to RTÉ about Brian Carthy's position in the sports department- that was a case of him and other signatories sticking their nose in where it wasn't their business.

However what I do know is this - if I had a son or daughter that was recently murdered while on their honeymoon and a short while after burying them I hear a presenter doing a "satirical" sketch on a mid-morning show on the most popular national station in Ireland that also is the flagship radio station of the country's public broadcaster, make a complaint to them and then get palmed off with a mealy mouthed apology, I'd have absolutely no problem telling anyone who works for the broadcaster that wants to speak to me to f**k off. And when they get there, f**k off again, then f**k off some more and keep f**king off until they return back to where they started and then they can f**k off for another indefinite period.

And at the risk of those accusing me of playing the "oppressed nordie" card (which I'm not, as this could apply to most counties outside of NI or Ulster), I can safely say that if Mickey Harte at the time of the incident was the senior football manager for Dublin, then RTÉ's management would have been going apeshit & kicking arses out of Donnybrook with P45's attached to them rather than just issuing a statement "apologising for any offence caused".

I concur

mrdeeds

Quote from: lenny on August 21, 2018, 06:37:48 AM
RTE is probably the worst channels on tv atm. Production value is brutal and it's like a step back in time. Streaming player is worthless.

Forget your tyrone prejudices. Rte is one of a small number of free to air channels available in Ireland. It's the best of those channels by far in terms of content. There are lots of people who cannot afford sky, virgin or any of the pay tv options which can be very expensive. Rte is an essential public broadcaster which provides a very good service in the main. I have a couple of elderly aunts and uncles who live in the south and they totally rely on rte.

It's not free to air.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Syferus on August 21, 2018, 12:26:04 AM
Indignation has a sell-by date.

Imagine if you had a son/daughter. Would you be so forgiving if the national broadcaster did a sketch about him/her if him/her died?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

BennyHarp

Would somebody please think of Lennys elderly aunt and uncle in all this!! What sort of civilised society takes away someone's right to see interviews at a banquet after a sporting event?
That was never a square ball!!

delgany

TÍR EOGHAIN: THE UNBREAKABLE BOND - Our new
NIScreen supported film about a unique generation of
TyroneGAA footballers who transformed the game, premieres this Sunday (26th August) on @TG4TV @ 20.30

Dire Ear

He's some pup talking about prejudices !!!!  Biased and bitter,  ...and from Derry too- no wonder he's pissed off  ;D ;D

screenexile

Quote from: mrdeeds on August 21, 2018, 08:42:17 AM

It's not free to air.

It is in the North!!

mrdeeds

Quote from: screenexile on August 21, 2018, 09:53:02 AM
Quote from: mrdeeds on August 21, 2018, 08:42:17 AM

It's not free to air.

It is in the North!!

Not in South. Well it's free for about 25% of people who don't bother paying the fee.

Captain Scarlet

There are a fair few pages on this, but I don't think another issue has been raised on this...

Your daughter has been murdered and RTE are broadcasting in front of your house and I am also told (feel free to confirm or not) that they approached him repeatedly for interviews using personal contacts when he was looking to be left alone.

The sketch was the icing on the cake if that is true.
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

Franko

Quote from: haranguerer on August 20, 2018, 03:49:34 PM
When someone has went through something that horrendous, you shouldn't be doing anything that could be considered even close to offensive, and if you inadvertently do, then you should go grovelling to them.

I can't imagine they'd have considered a skit about Lottie Ryan not long after Gerrys death, and certainly not with a song that could be interpreted as referring to him

I 100% detest Mickey Harte but this is true.  Anyone suggesting that he just get over it would want to be having a look at themselves.

weareros

Agreed. Harte well within his rights never to speak to RTE again and disturbing there was no one in an executive/producer position in RTE with the judgement to know that that piece of muck  should never have seen the light of day.

rosnarun

Quote from: Captain Scarlet on August 21, 2018, 10:42:14 AM
There are a fair few pages on this, but I don't think another issue has been raised on this...

Your daughter has been murdered and RTE are broadcasting in front of your house and I am also told (feel free to confirm or not) that they approached him repeatedly for interviews using personal contacts when he was looking to be left alone.

The sketch was the icing on the cake if that is true.
Rotten if True.
But its hard to see what he is achieving at this point 7 years  on . is he using it as part of a siege mentality ? as a crutch to hang on to Michelas memory and sees this as part of righting that wrong?
but I really think  for himself  he needs to forgive. it cant be doing him or the rest of the Family any good to hold a Grudge for so long?
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

yellowcard

Mickey Harte has every right to feel aggrieved but he does appear to be an incredibly stubborn man who does not forget. i seem to vaguely remember from reading his book how he fell out with his own club and then helped set up a rival team because of it. So he was never likely to back down on this boycott and I don't expect that he ever will. It was very insensitive at the time and who could really blame him.

However it is a very personal issue to him and I don't think that he should be dictating Tyrone GAA's policy on media access. Surely that is down to the county board to set the agenda and not Mickey Harte. 

Dougal Maguire

I think Harte has every right to be aggrieved over the sketch incident and should his decision to boycott TTE be based on that then it's perfectly justified. The Brian Carthy thing is none of his or any other signatories of the 4 pager to RTE's business. I don't understand however why the boycott extends to the entire Tyrone county set up but it does prove 1 thing. If he exerts that much influence in Tyrone then the decision to narrow the pitch at Healy Park before the Dublin match couldn't have better made without his knowledge or approval and his attempts to lie about that were totally wrong
Careful now