Willie Barret - Referees Development Chairman

Started by Dinny Breen, August 13, 2018, 02:57:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: hardstation on August 14, 2018, 11:15:39 AM
No, steps don't reset on advantage. Once the player breaks the steps rule, it is a free the other way.
The advantage rule needs looked at anyway. If a player shoots and misses during the advantage the free shouldn't be given. The advantage was that he was allowed to go on and have a shot. One or the other, not both ffs.

I sort of disagree with that, if a player is allowed to shoot within the 5 seconds and it goes wide call it back or if the ref is smart enough and in a good position to see its going wide, call it back before it crosses the line.. the player being fouled is not gaining any advantage from missing the score, had a free been given then it would, more than likely be scored..

As for the steps rule, there seems to be a cross over from the old advantage rule (that wasnt a rule) when a ref allowed a few extra steps to give the player a chance to break a unfair challenge..

yeah your right about the advantage rule needs looked at, I think there are so many good things about it but a small tweak here and there would help with it..

Steps, hmm I'm not as hard on this like some, I should be though, if you're hard on it in every game then the players will know that you must release the ball quicker and eventually that should cut out the steps, being a defender I hated when forwards overcarried the ball, as I went in to tackle at the fourth step and the ref generally allowed another one or two, which was enough for him to get away..

I think on the face of it most ref's allow a couple more to prevent a stop start game (rightly or wrongly it happens) and were he's running around counting the steps, as long as its not bad most ref's get it right and its the exact same for both teams..

The swarm tackle, there has to be an obvious free within that situation, pulling of arm when player is trying to release the ball, tugging the top or punching the stomach not the ball, if there are 14 players arond a player and they are blocking him (legally) then unless the player plays the ball or drops the ball then its not a foul.. the players are allowed to tackle the ball not the man, I know our club players perfected this for a good period
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

oliverkelly

Quote from: Tyrdub on August 14, 2018, 11:43:36 AM
Quote from: DuffleKing on August 13, 2018, 07:10:58 PM

Barry Cassidy and Anthony Nolan are the All Ireland football semi final referees this year. That summarises where we are at.

As an ex-Ref, and someone who has feet in both camp on AIF day, i thought Barry was outstanding on Saturday, Anthony less so

Barry is the worst ref i have seen over the last few years. He is disgracefully bad tbh.

Tyrdub

Quote from: oliverkelly on August 14, 2018, 12:31:56 PM
Quote from: Tyrdub on August 14, 2018, 11:43:36 AM
Quote from: DuffleKing on August 13, 2018, 07:10:58 PM

Barry Cassidy and Anthony Nolan are the All Ireland football semi final referees this year. That summarises where we are at.

As an ex-Ref, and someone who has feet in both camp on AIF day, i thought Barry was outstanding on Saturday, Anthony less so

Barry is the worst ref i have seen over the last few years. He is disgracefully bad tbh.

definitely do not agree with you, there are a whole lot worse than him

Milltown Row2

Quote from: hardstation on August 14, 2018, 12:35:50 PM
For me, whether it is a score or not is irrelevant to the attacking player having an advantage. It needs to be determined whether he was in a better attacking position than where the free took place. So, if he gets in 10 yards more and more straight in front of the posts, he has gained the advantage regardless of what he does with the ball.
Calling the free back because he fluffed it is ridiculous.
Basically what I'm saying is - if you're given an advantage and you fcuk it up yourself, tough.

Must remember that one this year  ;D

At least I'll have one in the crowd who'll tame the crowd if given against yas
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Unlaoised

Nolan's woeful performance on sunday has robbed him of any chance of an all ireland in the future.
LAOIS ABÚ

Milltown Row2

Yee's are very hard on the referee lads.. watched the Dublin match, to be honest i never seen anything that was stand out bad.. seen plenty shit football mind you :)

joemamas

Quote from: Unlaoised on August 14, 2018, 01:58:52 PM
Nolan's woeful performance on sunday has robbed him of any chance of an all ireland in the future.

Hopefully

As a neutral,

I was at the game, he ruined it with his whistle happy style and some mind boggling calls.

The three minutes injury time a complete joke.
When Colin Walsh got booked in second half, the play did not restart for 55 seconds.
There should have been at least six.

Those type of mistakes are inexcusable at this level.

theticklemister

I'm a ref also.

Regarding 5 second rule- if a player is in a lot more advantageous after the foul ( for example escapes from tackle and a lot of metres ahead and then hits the shot and misses, I say take your oil) but if he does escape the tackle but still off balance or in a worse position,I will bring it back for foul. Yet again down to referee's discretion, which can vary.

I seen a ref call out 5 seconds loudly after the foul, which is a help I find.

magpie seanie

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 14, 2018, 02:05:38 PM
Yee's are very hard on the referee lads.. watched the Dublin match, to be honest i never seen anything that was stand out bad.. seen plenty shit football mind you :)

I thought the ref for Dublin/Galway was decent to be fair. I do remember a great example of what I'm talking about from that game. A point by Ciaran Kilkenny from the left in the first half.....at least 12 steps. The replay helped me count the steps....in real time thought it was about 6/7.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: theticklemister on August 14, 2018, 02:44:54 PM
I'm a ref also.

Regarding 5 second rule- if a player is in a lot more advantageous after the foul ( for example escapes front tackle and a lot of metre ahead and then hits the shot and misses, I say take your oil) but if he does escape the tackle but still off balance I will bring it back for foul. Yet again down to referee's discretion, which can vary.

Does he say "one Mississippi two Mississippi...."

theticklemister

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 14, 2018, 02:54:05 PM
Quote from: theticklemister on August 14, 2018, 02:44:54 PM
I'm a ref also.

Regarding 5 second rule- if a player is in a lot more advantageous after the foul ( for example escapes front tackle and a lot of metre ahead and then hits the shot and misses, I say take your oil) but if he does escape the tackle but still off balance I will bring it back for foul. Yet again down to referee's discretion, which can vary.

Does he say "one Mississippi two Mississippi...."
Na, was "1 bog-side, 2 bog-side..."

Nevertheless I thought it was a good addition

trileacman

Quote from: joemamas on August 14, 2018, 02:30:46 PM
Quote from: Unlaoised on August 14, 2018, 01:58:52 PM

Hopefully

As a neutral,

I was at the game, he ruined it with his whistle happy style and some mind boggling calls.

The three minutes injury time a complete joke.
When Colin Walsh got booked in second half, the play did not restart for 55 seconds.
There should have been at least six.

Those type of mistakes are inexcusable at this level.

Is it the ref who calculates injury time? I thought it was always the 4th official.

Often the ref gets abuse for shit that's not his fault like Dan Flynn's red card v Galway. It was Mc quillan the sideline official who called the strike not Hurson though many blamed the ref for that call afterwards.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

Milltown Row2

Quote from: hardstation on August 14, 2018, 02:55:58 PM
It must be hard to count steps and advantage seconds at the same time.

Multi tasking! Women are good at that

Hound

Quote from: hardstation on August 14, 2018, 01:53:08 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 14, 2018, 01:45:24 PM
Quote from: hardstation on August 14, 2018, 12:35:50 PM
For me, whether it is a score or not is irrelevant to the attacking player having an advantage. It needs to be determined whether he was in a better attacking position than where the free took place. So, if he gets in 10 yards more and more straight in front of the posts, he has gained the advantage regardless of what he does with the ball.
Calling the free back because he fluffed it is ridiculous.
Basically what I'm saying is - if you're given an advantage and you fcuk it up yourself, tough.

Must remember that one this year  ;D

At least I'll have one in the crowd who'll tame the crowd if given against yas
It's certainly the way I think it should be.
A foul doesn't prevent a score, it prevents the opportunity of a score. If a better opportunity to score is available instead of the free and the player takes it and misses it, that's tough.
The better opportunity and the free shouldn't both be given.
Yes they should, and they are! 😀
Tough shit for the fouler who gave the forward two chances to score instead of one