Hurling 2024

Started by seafoid, January 01, 2023, 08:24:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnycool

Quote from: The Premierview Podcast on March 21, 2023, 10:16:28 AM
Quote from: johnnycool on March 20, 2023, 08:20:08 AM
There's a lot of good in what Jamie says but it won't happen purely on the basis of the vested interests of the Munster and Leinster councils giving up their cash cows, it ain't going to happen.

Sometimes the hurling elite have no interest in developing hurling outside their own wee cabal.

the Munster Hurling Championship has nearly double the attendance of its next nearest Provincial Competition, which is the Ulster Football Championship

No one is going to wreck that competition for the sake of Counties who cant get their act together for the past 140 years

At least you are honest.

As regards the downgrading of the lower grade Hurling Competitions, that was done at Central Council Level and not by any Hurling Committee which you seem to have such enmity towards

And who was president at the time? A certain Nicky Brennan from Kilkenny who was more interesting in returning the minor semi-finals to those dates than allowing the CR and Nicky Rackard to maintain those dates. Why else would Central Council have made those changes?

The Premierview Podcast

Quote from: johnnycool on March 21, 2023, 12:12:23 PM
There's a lot of good in what Jamie says but it won't happen purely on the basis of the vested interests of the Munster and Leinster councils giving up their cash cows, it ain't going to happen.

Sometimes the hurling elite have no interest in developing hurling outside their own wee cabal.

the Munster Hurling Championship has nearly double the attendance of its next nearest Provincial Competition, which is the Ulster Football Championship

No one is going to wreck that competition for the sake of Counties who cant get their act together for the past 140 years

At least you are honest.

As regards the downgrading of the lower grade Hurling Competitions, that was done at Central Council Level and not by any Hurling Committee which you seem to have such enmity towards

And who was president at the time? A certain Nicky Brennan from Kilkenny who was more interesting in returning the minor semi-finals to those dates than allowing the CR and Nicky Rackard to maintain those dates. Why else would Central Council have made those changes?

The sense of victimhood is strong here

First the Hurling Elites

the stronger Hurling Counties

and now Nickey Brennan

Much and all as I love to blame Kilkenny for everything

Nickey Brennan was 1 man with 1 vote, there was more than him to relegate the lower hurling competitions to the wilderness

as if having them on before a Hurling Semifinal was going to be the cure for all the weaker counties Hurling Problems either

it might also have passed your attention that the Minor Hurling last year was a standalone competition with the final on in a packed Nowlan Park between Tipp and Offaly who in fairness to them are doing something about get ack to where they were in the 80' and 90's.

Bottom Line

As pointed out earlier

You will need over 9,000 players to win an All Ireland nowadays

Getting to those numbers requires huge work,rather than blaming everyone else

johnnycool

Quote from: The Premierview Podcast on March 21, 2023, 02:02:57 PM

At least you are honest.

First the Hurling Elites

and now Nickey Brennan

Nickey Brennan was 1 man with 1 vote, there was more than him to relegate the lower hurling competitions to the wilderness

as if having them on before a Hurling Semifinal was going to be the cure for all the weaker counties Hurling Problems either

it might also have passed your attention that the Minor Hurling last year was a standalone competition with the final on in a packed Nowlan Park between Tipp and Offaly who in fairness to them are doing something about get ack to where they were in the 80' and 90's.

Bottom Line

As pointed out earlier

Not every county is capable of winning an AI hence the reason I'm all on for the various grades in intercounty hurling championship, it's the false platitudes and in some cases downright arrogance of some with their plans to improve hurling in areas they know nothing about the issues faced in those areas;

Make up of the 2020 Hurling committee

Tipp x2
Galway x2
Cork x1
KK x1
Antrim x1
Limerick x1
Clare x1
Waterford x1

With the best will in the world and I know some have coached outside their own county most notable Paul Flynn who was up in Down for a year, what would these lads and one lady know what the issues are facing Fermanagh or Tyrone hurlers, let alone in Meath, Kildare, Westmeath and the likes.
There needs to be more voices from these areas on these focus groups to give a more rounded approach to hurling and it's development.

Once Down get the lads in Donaghadee, Bangor, Newtownards, East Belfast and Dundonald hurling we'll give Tipp a run for their money.  ;)

The Premierview Podcast

Quote from: johnnycool on March 22, 2023, 11:57:45 AM

At least you are honest.

First the Hurling Elites

and now Nickey Brennan

Bottom Line

As pointed out earlier

Not every county is capable of winning an AI hence the reason I'm all on for the various grades in intercounty hurling championship, it's the false platitudes and in some cases downright arrogance of some with their plans to improve hurling in areas they know nothing about the issues faced in those areas;

Tipp x2
Galway x2
Cork x1
KK x1
Antrim x1
Limerick x1
Clare x1
Waterford x1

With the best will in the world and I know some have coached outside their own county most notable Paul Flynn who was up in Down for a year, what would these lads and one lady know what the issues are facing Fermanagh or Tyrone hurlers, let alone in Meath, Kildare, Westmeath and the likes.
There needs to be more voices from these areas on these focus groups to give a more rounded approach to hurling and it's development.

Once Down get the lads in Donaghadee, Bangor, Newtownards, East Belfast and Dundonald hurling we'll give Tipp a run for their money.  ;)

back to my point of You should be helping yourselves not waiting for anyone to help you, there was no Down Nominee for that committee

I see Down has a Catholic/Nationalist population of around 250,000 people

Bigger than Limerick Tipperary Wexford Clare Waterford

2 and a half times the size of Kilkenny

smaller than only Galway Cork and Dublin of the so called Stronger Counties

and Ye cant grow the game of Hurling !!!!

Upandover

What sets apart down from the likes of tipp/kilkenny?
Is it facilities, interest, quality of coaching?

seafoid

Quote from: Upandover on March 22, 2023, 01:15:10 PM
Hurling footprint eg number of clubs
Relative isolation
The non religious nature of hurling in most of the county
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

johnnycool

Quote from: Upandover on March 22, 2023, 01:15:10 PM

Exposure to high level hurling across the age groups is a big issue.
Our minors were recently down in Tipp and played a Tipp minor team, totally blown away but were making a better fist of getting to the speed of the game the longer it went on, but that won't be repeated as the money isn't in Down to support it and the structures aren't in place to force Down CB to support it. Antrim beat them well in whatever form of championship it was this year, so they'll be in Leinster B I believe, but already I'm hearing of interest waning within the team and preferring to train with their clubs.
We've had teams at blitzes in KK, Dublin and the likes and can hold their own against clubs from traditional counties, but at IC level it's a totally different set of resources.

Hurling is by and far the least dominant sport in the GAA in Down, mostly by small, rural clubs so the player pool is small, Portaferry would be the biggest club at the minute and they'd be doing well to have 50 adult hurlers all in. There's more camogie clubs in Down FFS.
It's hard to expand when the next village up from you is Portavogie and they fly union jacks 365 days in the year.

It is improving with the two South Belfast clubs putting in serious effort as well as Castlewellan who've a decent catchment to work from, but there's little to no hurling in Newcastle, Downpatrick and to a lesser extent Newry who are fielding at senior which is good, but they've huge gaps in their underage structures, probably down to so few volunteers can only do so much. I'm not even sure now if Down have a hurling GDO to assist as the last one I was aware of is now working for Gaelfast in Antrim and isn't involved in Down.

IF Martin Fogarty is to be replaced it has to be by someone who isn't interested in coaching ballwall sessions and the likes but someone with an understanding
structures and is prepared to stamp on toes with football dominated County boards, Kilkenny and Tipp don't have that problem.
Give Cathal McErlean a crack at it, a lad who knows exactly what it takes to get hurling going in an area not known for it and also lets stop forcing kids having to chose between either sport which happens far too often in a lot of counties.

johnnycool

Quote from: The Premierview Podcast on March 22, 2023, 01:12:02 PM
Quote from: johnnycool on March 22, 2023, 11:57:45 AM

At least you are honest.

First the Hurling Elites

and now Nickey Brennan

Bottom Line

As pointed out earlier

Tipp x2
Galway x2
Cork x1
KK x1
Antrim x1
Limerick x1
Clare x1
Waterford x1

back to my point of You should be helping yourselves not waiting for anyone to help you, there was no Down Nominee for that committee

I see Down has a Catholic/Nationalist population of around 250,000 people

Bigger than Limerick Tipperary Wexford Clare Waterford

2 and a half times the size of Kilkenny

smaller than only Galway Cork and Dublin of the so called Stronger Counties

and Ye cant grow the game of Hurling !!!!

I'm on my club executive and at no point were we asking to put anyone forward.

The Ards peninsula has a nationalist population of less that 7K, with three senior clubs in that and 75% of the current senior team from there, there's bigger clubs in Tipp than that.

Kidder81

Limerick maybe even better this year  ???

manfromdelmonte

There are hurling clubs in galway that won't field m underage football teams after the age of 13 so lads can concentrate on hurling
That's the sort of stupidity you have to deal with in gaa circles

marty34

I wish they'd do a few takes of Cian Lynch's flicks and pick ups. They're unreal.

TG4's director always seem to cut the play short in the replays and we miss them.

He done 3 or 4 in that game tonight as  if he was in his back garden.

burdizzo

Quote from: Kidder81 on March 25, 2023, 08:56:41 PM

I agree. Tipp threw all they had at them.

marty34

Quote from: burdizzo on March 25, 2023, 09:35:53 PM
Quote from: Kidder81 on March 25, 2023, 08:56:41 PM

I agree. Tipp threw all they had at them.

And no Kyle Hayes. Flannagan only on for last 10 mins. No Dan Morrisery.  GH in for 10 mins.

They've used the league to blood another few lads properly including Ó Dalaigh, Houlihan and Ryan etc.

Eire90

does the hurling league suffer because format is too similar to the championship