McKenna Cup 2024

Started by never kickt a ball, December 30, 2006, 02:22:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

realredhandfan

Listen........ thats the sound of Uladh ploughing a very lonely furrow..

imtommygunn

I wouldn't have said it was a lone furrow - I'd have thought many people shared his views...

I hold nothing against Tyrone - quite like their style of football. The way they've behaved with regard to university players in this mckenna cup has been , in my opinion and I would't say I'm alone,slap bang out of order.

They didn't respect rules put in place for competition. They didn't respect those players as they put them in a position where they were probably aware they were screwed for county chances for the year, and possibly further, if they went against Mickey Harte and played university. They didn't respect the universities by not giving them thei rplayers in preparation for the sigerson campaign.

Spout all the bullshit you want about the rules. I don't know how finely detailed it was but the understanding of managers was that universities should have precedence on county players. Every other manager respected that - why not Mickey Harte. If you're saying it wasn't a rule but it wasn't written down explicitly and to the finest detail and was just assumed then I think that's being stupidly pedantic.

Forget petty grudges between tyrone - armagh and all the rest. They were slap bang out of order - and what did these players get for their trouble? About one and a half games in a tyrone setup and a severe hole in their chances of playing sigerson.

When are they even reducing their panel? Have they not still a big panel for the league? Training panel anyway - obviously for match day it'll have to be reduced.

magpie seanie

Gas seeing all the anti Tyrone brigade suddenly cherishing the value of the McKenna Cup ajnd its rules and regulations. If this controversy didn't kick up they'd be on about how worthless it was and asking why Tyrone took it so seriously.

From Harte's point of view the competition has against proved to be a valuable one. The extra game was a bonus as it was another chance to see some lads in action. Maybe the Ulster council will order a reply of the final? That would suit Harte lovely too I dare say.

never kickt a ball

Quote from: magpie seanie on February 19, 2007, 02:57:42 PM
Gas seeing all the anti Tyrone brigade suddenly cherishing the value of the McKenna Cup ajnd its rules and regulations. If this controversy didn't kick up they'd be on about how worthless it was and asking why Tyrone took it so seriously.

From Harte's point of view the competition has against proved to be a valuable one. The extra game was a bonus as it was another chance to see some lads in action. Maybe the Ulster council will order a reply of the final? That would suit Harte lovely too I dare say.
Surely the game has to be Donegal V Monaghan if Tyrone are thrown out of the competition?

Norf Tyrone

QuoteThe people who have suffered most in this whole thing too is those players. Where were the most of them come sigerson last week? Not where they should have been is the answer. I know one boy played but what about the rest?

Where were they? Two played (McCaul and Boggs), and one was injured (Cavanagh), hence why he didn't appear on Sat night. The other I am not too sure.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

never kickt a ball

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on February 19, 2007, 03:16:21 PM
QuoteThe people who have suffered most in this whole thing too is those players. Where were the most of them come sigerson last week? Not where they should have been is the answer. I know one boy played but what about the rest?
Where were they? Two played (McCaul and Boggs), and one was injured (Cavanagh), hence why he didn't appear on Sat night. The other I am not too sure.

Did Cavanagh not play for Jordanstown freshers on Saturday norf?

GMIT dump out UUJ
17 February 2007
Eoin Concannon was the hero for Galway-Mayo IT as his side recorded a 3-12 to 2-13 All-Ireland Freshers semi-final win over UUJ at Garrison county Fermanagh.
Concannon scored a dramatic late goal to upset the vaunted visitors in a real thrilling encounter.
GMIT raced into an early lead with 1-2 from the boot of Donegal man Brendan McGuire but UUJ steadied themselves and eased their way back into the match thanks in the main to Tyrone youngster Colm Kavanagh.
GMIT enjoyed a 2-6 to 1-7 advantage with Mayo senior Aidan Campbell's goal setting them on the frontfoot.
UUJ Came out a revitalised outfit for the second half and held a one point lead with time almost up only for Concannon to spoil the party for the Ulstermen.
http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=72929

Star Spangler

What say did the 9 county boards have in the decision to allow university sides to play in the competition?

Uladh

Quote from: magpie seanie on February 19, 2007, 02:57:42 PM

Seanie... noone gives a shite about the mckenna cup (except harte)... least of all the colleges from what i can gather. if you read carefully, you will see that the point i am making is larger one with respect to harte's total disregard for the ulster council and the rules of the association in general.

his count was already punished for exactly this infringement and yet e just doea the same thing again. they should be excluded from the competition next year.

Over the Bar

Quotethey should be excluded from the competition next year.

probably the only way anyone else might win it!  :D

never kickt a ball

Quote from: Over the Bar on February 19, 2007, 03:39:07 PM
Quotethey should be excluded from the competition next year.

probably the only way anyone else might win it!  :D

And the McKenna's et al will go into hiding again  :D :D :D Gaelic life and TG4 would love that NOT

Norf Tyrone

QuoteGMIT raced into an early lead with 1-2 from the boot of Donegal man Brendan McGuire but UUJ steadied themselves and eased their way back into the match thanks in the main to Tyrone youngster Colm Kavanagh.

Is he a fresher? I thought he was in his last year?
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

Armamike

QuoteAs for Armagh Club football being strong.  Do any of our other esteeemed Armagh contributors wish to back Uladh up on this?  Im waiting!!!!

RRHF - how are you measuring the strength of the club scene?
Armagh currently mightn't be the strongest, compared to Derry for instance, but it's not exactly the weakest either. Armagh's senior club won Ulster and is in the AI final (4th time in 10 years). The intermediate club reached the Ulster final and only last narrowly after a replay to Coleraine, who are now in the AI final. Didn't fare as well on the junior front, though An Portmor didn't disgrace themselves, winning their first round game and then only narrowly beaten (while missing 2-3 key players).   

For fear of being tarred anti-Tyrone here, i agree with Uladh re. Mickey Harte's total disdain for the rules of the McKenna cup.  It's not just the McKenna cup though, he's been acting a law onto himself this past couple of years. This is just another case of Mickey trying to bend/break the rules to suit himself.  Inevitably the Tyrone posters here will defend his right to do so to the hilt, while some of the rest of us might view his actions in a slightly different light.

That's just, like your opinion man.

Tyrones own

" Seanie... noone gives a shite about the mckenna cup (except harte)... least of all the colleges from what i can gather."

Boo Hoo Uladh, While your gathering, Gather up those Kleenex's that piling up around your feet. :'(
Your making a fool of yourself.
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

tyroneman

QuoteIf they haven't broken any rules, why were they deducted points previosly and why didn't the litigious mr harte appeal?

Once again Uladh...................quote me the rule(s) MH has broken. Not your opinion that he has - quote the actual rule.

pintsofguinness

Which one of you bitches wants to dance?