McKenna Cup 2024

Started by never kickt a ball, December 30, 2006, 02:22:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redhandfan

A very competitive game for the time of year, but the refereeing was absolutely atrocious. 

Despite the result, I still think Joe Kernan will be much happier than Brian McIver.  Most of Donegal's big guns appeared on the field of play at some stage in this contest but they still struggled to beat a barely recognisable Armagh outfit.  Peadar Toal looks as if he could certainly be one of the new faces who could command a regular place on the Armagh starting fifteen this season and that big ginger fella (McClelland, I think you call him) could well be the next Francie Bellew. 

If Donegal had great difficulty beating Armagh's second string side today, what chance do they have overturning a full strength Armagh team in the summer?

Tyrones own

How long did Donegal play with 14 men?
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

Redhandfan

Cassidy was sent off with about 20 minutes of normal time still to play.  It was a very harsh decision to issue him with a second yellow.  The referee was brutal today.

Sandy Hill

If Donegal had great difficulty beating Armagh's second string side today....

More like their third string! I agree that Joe will be the happier tonight. From what was on view for Armagh, I was impressed by Peadar Toal although I hear that he isn't dependable which is a pity. Of the rest I'd expect to see more of C McKinney, P Duffy, Enda of course (tenacious as ever), maybe Tony McClelland, Gareth Swift and Mal Mackin. JP Donnelly (still a liability) will also probably get Joe's vote.
It would have been nice to have stolen it today.
"Stercus accidit"

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

And for my next trick... wednesdays lottery numbers will be....................  ;)

Well done Donegal, a bit of goodsportsmanship would be nice from the posters on this board, bad referee, neither side at full strength, weather not great, NFL starting next week, alot of factors, but if anyone who tells me that Big Joe put out a THIRD string FFS get a life, also do youse eejits think that Kernan didn't want to win the game or thought any less of the competition, if so then why did he bother trying to play a side to win the other matches!!!
Credit where credit's due the better team won on the day and with 14 men!!!  >:(

Tbc....

J70

Quote from: Redhandfan on January 28, 2007, 04:23:40 PM
A very competitive game for the time of year, but the refereeing was absolutely atrocious. 

Despite the result, I still think Joe Kernan will be much happier than Brian McIver.  Most of Donegal's big guns appeared on the field of play at some stage in this contest but they still struggled to beat a barely recognisable Armagh outfit.  Peadar Toal looks as if he could certainly be one of the new faces who could command a regular place on the Armagh starting fifteen this season and that big ginger fella (McClelland, I think you call him) could well be the next Francie Bellew. 

If Donegal had great difficulty beating Armagh's second string side today, what chance do they have overturning a full strength Armagh team in the summer?

As with last year against Down, I don't think we should bother turning up! :P

Seriously though, and obviously we'll know a little more after the league, in Ballybofey I'd say we've a good chance. McGrane's goal and Hearty's late save were all that separated the teams last season. Apart from the 2004 Ulster Final (when the players got carried away after beating Tyrone) and the 2005 replay indiscipline disgrace, the games have usually been fairly tight, although Armagh have generally looked like they're just that wee bit too good for Donegal. Despite the appearance of a few veteran Donegal players today, I don't know how many of them will play against Armagh in the championship. The likes of Roper and Adrian Sweeney didn't feature too much last year, while Hegarty and Toye didn't cover themselves in glory last year either, so the opportunities may be there for others. McIver went with a lot of youth last season, so I can't see him completely reverting back to the boys who were coasting a bit in the last days under McEniff. Finding a midfield partner for Neil Gallagher and reasonably settled forward six should the main aim for the league, along with avoiding relegation to Division 3. We said the same things this time last year though!

Anyway, I think Donegal were in a no-win situation today given Armagh's experimentation. Avoiding defeat and getting decent games from the likes of McMenamin, Donoghue and Cassidy (at midfield) were probably the main aims. Its was a scrappy McKenna Cup game in January with a shite referee, and it will be forgotten in a few days. And maybe Armagh's "third-string" players are not that bad!

stew

Quote from: Redhandfan on January 27, 2007, 09:37:23 PM
Quote from: stew on January 26, 2007, 04:07:01 PM
Just like you would be brave enough to tell Gerard Houlihan that you enjoyed seeing him getting his head stamped on during a game many moons ago!

Hypocrite.

stew, your ludicrous posts would suggest that Mr Houlahan was not the only man to get his head stamped on during a game.  Who were you playing for at the time....Longstone F.C.?

I wish you would also show the ex-Armagh All-Star some respect by spelling his name correctly.  It is the least the man deserves after years of great service to the Orchard County.

Redhandfan, my post does not suggest that Mr Houlihan was the only man ever to get his head stamped on, I merely highlighted the fact that you gloated about it on the old board and I thought that was disgusting and cowardly of you.

I was playing for Longstone at the time though.

As for Houlie's name, yep I got the spelling wrong, you got me.

Did you ever kick a ball in your life or are you happy being an administrative pencil pusher?????
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Orior

Quote from: Over the Bar on January 28, 2007, 07:09:23 PM
From a Tyrone perspective I'm glad Armagh got thru and providing Mickey Harte's young pups can get thru againt Monaghan it will be interesting to see them up against Kernan's cubs in the final as I'm sure both managers will give youth a chance to see how they fair against each other rather than fielding their best team of established players.  Donegal were even-money today and I had a good wager on them, so at lest I have a bit to blow against the Dubs next weekend.   :-\

What the hell are you on about chief?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Over the Bar

Lol.  Sorry about that.  Don't post after drinking................

never kickt a ball

Donegal win scrappy McKenna semi 

Donegal edged out youthful Armagh 0-9 to 0-7 in Sunday's scrappy Gaelic Life McKenna Cup semi-final at Healy Park.
Brian McIver's side led by 0-4 to 0-0 after 13 minutes with the impressive Kevin McMenamin hitting three points.
However, three Peadar Toal points helped Armagh fight back with five unanswered scores before half-time.
Donegal ended 31 minutes without a score to regain the lead and they held on to win despite the dismissal of Kevin Cassidy for two yellow cards.
McMenamin emphasised his status as Donegal's main find during the McKenna Cup by hitting the opening three scores of the game and Hegarty's neat finish then extended McIver's side lead to four points by the 13th minute.
However, Donegal's periodic problem of over-elaboration then began to set in and midfielder Joe Friel's over-carrying enabled Peadar Toal to open Armagh's account in the 22nd minute.
Toal then hit two fine points from play to cut Donegal's lead to the minimum and injury-time scores from Gareth Swift and Kevin O'Rourke left Joe Kernan's side with an unlikely half-time advantage.
The main talking point of the first half was Cassidy's vigorous challenge which led to the enforced departure of Armagh's Paul Duffy.
The Armagh management were extremely unhappy with Cassidy's attempted shoulder but referee Barry Toland didn't feel that it warranted a booking although the Donegal player did pick up his first yellow card later in the half for another challenge.
Donegal, playing with the wind, ended their long scoreless spell when Brendan Devenney notched his first score of the game with a 38th-minute free.
They regained their lead a minute later when McMenamin finished off the move of the game to swing over a fine point.
Armagh levelled two minutes later when Stephen Faulkner pointed after Joe Friel had been caught in possession in his own defence.
Devenney, close marked by Enda McNulty for the most part, finally showed his attacking skills in the 45th minute when he superb run set up a point for Brian Roper with the substitute's goal attempt going inches over the crossbar.
Cassidy got his early bath in the 53rd minute after a harsh second booking.
However, Armagh's man advantage wasn't in any way obvious during the remainder of the game as Joe Kernan's young side appeared to run out of steam. Devenney swung over a wind-assisted free to extend Donegal's lead to two with five minutes left.
Armagh sub Barry McKevitt cut Donegal's lead to a point in the first minute of injury-time but McMenamin's fourth score of the game was the final kick of the game.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/northern_ireland/gaelic_games/6307631.stm

Paul Duffy looked to have injured his left shoulder after Cassidy's vigorous challenge and was taken to hospital.

Armagh Exile

Armagh's Paul Duffy has a suspected broken collar-bone.

ziggysego

Quote from: Armagh Exile on January 28, 2007, 07:57:16 PM
Armagh's Paul Duffy has a suspected broken collar-bone.

The way he was holding his head as he left the pitch, I suspected that.
Testing Accessibility

Over the Bar

QuoteArmagh's Paul Duffy has a suspected broken collar-bone.

Bloody painful injury and not much you can do with it other than sit still.

Cloc Mor

QuoteArmagh's Paul Duffy has a suspected broken collar-bone.

Can't remember, but was this the result of a late tackle or did it happen in open play?  I mentioned earlier about the inconsistency of the referee but it must say that the number of late tackles in the game, some pulled up on and others let go, were unreal.  I suppose the players must take most responsibility for this.  But why in the modern game do most 'hard' tackles merit a blank or a yellow card?  Cassidy made a legitimate tackle and was sent off for it.  It wasn't even a foul?  Please explain.

Cloc Mor

Anyone notice John Mc Cluskey 'lurking' behind Joe Kernan and John Rafferty.  I'm not sure how much input he had when Grimley was there but he looked lost.  Anyone else notice this?