McKenna Cup 2024

Started by never kickt a ball, December 30, 2006, 02:22:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cloc Mor

Not sure.  I wasn't at the match but that is the score I received.  Unless you know something different.

Dubh driocht

No, wasn't there but your score tallies with BBC. Not a lot of odds mind you. Still, RC and DJ are right.Scunder,mind you.

Josey Whales

harte is right - why shouldn't he allowed pick his own players - the universities add zippo to the competition and should be ejected with immediate effect. they have the higher education leagues and the sigerson/fitzgibbon cups. if they want something else to play iin -they should make up their own competitions instead of polluting everyon'e else's. We have to put with pox like UCD in the dublin championship - one wonders how long it will be before they seek entry into the county championships up north then we'll see how many fans they have here then.

never kickt a ball

Quote from: never kickt a ball on January 13, 2007, 01:23:50 AM
What's the odds on: Armagh, Monaghan, Tyrone, Donegal, Cavan and UUJ? All to win?

17.4/1 or £174 for  £10.

never kickt a ball

Tyrone 1-15 0-9 Derry 

Tyrone's first-half blitz enabled them to comfortably defeat Derry in Sunday's Gaelic Life McKenna Cup clash at Omagh.
Red Hand boss Mickey Harte used UUJ squad players Colm Cavanagh, Brendan Boggs and Damien McCaul in the game, defying an Ulster Council directive.
Derry led 0-2 to 0-1 but Tyrone hit 10 unanswered points before Cathal McCarron's goal just before the break.
The Oak Leafers produced a mini-revival after the break but Tyrone were never in danger and won pulling up.
Early points from the Bradley brothers, Paddy and Eoin, gave Derry a promising start, but Tyrone were soon into their stride.
Midfielder Mickey Murphy hit three points, with Tommy McGuigan, Damien McDermott, Paul Rouse, Davy Harte and Colm Cavanagh also getting their names on the scoresheet.
Newcomers Damien McDermott and Cathal McCarron were also on target, and while Paddy Bradley pulled back a Derry point late in the half, but by that stage Tyrone had already racked up 11 scores.
The Red Hands hit the visitors with another blow in stoppage time when McCarron grabbed his goal from a rebound after Derry goalkeeper Shane O'Kane had failed to hold his initial shot.
Derry narrowed the gap with scores from Paddy and Eoin Bradley and Conleth Gilligan in the third quarter but McCarron's accuracy from frees kept Tyrone comfortably in front.

Tyrone scorers: C McCarron 1-3 (3 frees), M Murphy 0-3, T McGuigan, D McDermott 0-2 each, C Cavanagh, O Mulligan, D Harte, D Carlin, P Rouse (free) 0-1 each.

Derry scorers: Paddy Bradley 0-5 (2 frees), E Bradley 0-2, C Gilligan, R McElhone 0-1 each.

Tyrone: P McConnell, D McCaul, C McGinley, P Marlow, D Harte, D Carlin, B Boggs, M Murphy, S Cavanagh, T McGuigan, O Mulligan, C Cavanagh, C McCarron, P Rouse, D McDermott. Subs: R Mellon for S Cavanagh, E McGinley for Murphy, N Gormley for McDermott, M Penrose for Harte.

Derry: S O'Kane, K McGuckin, K McCann, J Keenan, A McAlynn, F Doherty, L Hinphey, Patsy Bradley, J Conway, R McElhone, A McCartney, C Moran, C Gilligan, Paddy Bradley, E Bradley. Subs; K McCloy for Hinphey, P O'Hea for McAlynn, J Kelly for Moran, Paul Bradley for McCartan

Gaelic Life Dr McKenna Cup Results

Section A
Armagh 0-9 1-5 Fermanagh
Monaghan 2-16 0-11 St Mary's

Section B
Tyrone 1-15 0-9 Derry
Cavan 1-13 1-11 Queens

Section C
UUJ 1-19 1-6 Down
Antrim 0-8 0-9 Donegal

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/northern_ireland/gaelic_games/6261225.stm

Donagh

Mickey's obviously aiming for a glorious three in a row.

Seriously though it's no good everyone paying lip service to the burnout issue and then backing Harte's ridiculous stance on this matter. At present the university students are expected to be out training with the county and uni teams at least three times a week on top of individual work, weights and study for exams at the same time – add on under 21 and freshers teams and the fact that they might not even be involved when the panels are cut back to 30 for the league and the situation is just crazy for the most talented.

Best to let them play for the university and if the likes of Harte feel's so hard done by maybe he could give a few club players a chance and have a look at the uni players in the league.

never kickt a ball

Quote from: Donagh on January 14, 2007, 05:52:44 PM
Mickey's obviously aiming for a glorious three in a row.

Is it not FOUR in a row he's looking Donagh?

Donagh

Quote from: never kickt a ball on January 14, 2007, 05:55:25 PM
Is it not FOUR in a row he's looking Donagh?

Feck I couldn't tell you. I think Mickey's probably the only person that pays attention to this competition.

Cloc Mor

Quoteharte is right - why shouldn't he allowed pick his own players - the universities add zippo to the competition and should be ejected with immediate effect. they have the higher education leagues and the sigerson/fitzgibbon cups. if they want something else to play iin -they should make up their own competitions instead of polluting everyon'e else's. We have to put with pox like UCD in the dublin championship - one wonders how long it will be before they seek entry into the county championships up north then we'll see how many fans they have here then.
Very good - makes no sense, but very good.

Quotethe universities add zippo to the competition and should be ejected with immediate effect. they have the higher education leagues and the sigerson/fitzgibbon cups. if they want something else to play iin -they should make up their own competitions instead of polluting everyon'e else's.
They add nothing - have not the universities contributed to adding an interest to a competition even the worms in the ground didn't want to see.  The actually were invited into this competition and are not polluting it in any way - they actually have helped invigorate it and raise it to an unprecedented level of interest and support.

QuoteWe have to put with pox like UCD in the Dublin championship - one wonders how long it will be before they seek entry into the county championships up north then we'll see how many fans they have here then
Not sure where you received you education but your Geography teacher needs a slap.  UCD is in Dublin (the D in UCD stands for Dublin) so I fail to see, Mr Josey Wales, why this team would want to play in any competition in Ulster.  Maybe you have an insight into restructuring of competitions within the capital city which you could share with us, but I can't see it getting to the stage where they want to compete in the Premiere Province - Ulster.

ONeill

A lot of crap Cloc Mor. I'll only say this about it and no more - don't believe all you read. I'm sure not all unis involved are overly delighted at being forced to compete in this tournament.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Cloc Mor

QuoteA lot of crap Cloc Mor. I'll only say this about it and no more - don't believe all you read. Not all unis involved are overly delighted at being 'forced' to compete in this tournament.

Ditto to some of your posts O'Neill.  You must have close contacts with University students to make such a statement as that.  Cant agree with your sentiments and neither do the players I have been speaking to.

Josey Whales

not a question of paying lip service to burnout but the following.

- If a player is good enough for Sigerson- he shouldn't be playing Freshers -that's hardly a pro-active approach by the UNiversity who are AS bad as anyone when it comes to contributing to  burnout.

- If  a player is good enough for the county senior panel - there should be no requirement for him to train with the 21 panel or play mickey mouse challenege games with them.

You have to look at the managers point of view as well. they have guys in university panels who may/may not be good enough for county football. How is Harte supposed to find out- if they are good enough unless they are playing for Tyrone. I don't agree that the Sigerson Cup is the standard of competition people think it is. It's played in the most awful weather conditions and having attended and played quite a few games- mundane is what i'd describe a lot of them. It's quite obvious county managers don'r rate the level of Sigerson training in a lot of the colleges.

Bogball XV

Harte is being a tosser about this - why is he so intransigent so frequently??  He should look on this as an opportunity to use other players - as Donagh say, there are other club players he can give a run out to in these games.
This matter is not related to the UCD in Dublin championship matter Josey, i am in complete agreement with you re that - it's non-sensical, let players play in 2 county championships - yeah, makes sense ::)

Josey Whales

You're entitled to your opinion Cloc Mor but I'm not getting involved in a slanging match.
The ever increasing profile of the inter-county game is going to lead to the university competitions being squeezed. Mickey Harte doesn't care whether UUJ or QUB win the Sigerson Cup-he's only interested in Tyroen winning Sam. And I wonder did anyone ask the university players involved did they not want to play for Tyrone? Playing county football is a honour for any player and having to play for university hardly holds the same appeal.
The reality is the mc kenna cup/o byrne cup etc- is where the managers sort out there league panels- they obviosuly don't put the same stock on the Sigerson Cup anymore and they don't want it interfereing in their preparations. I'm not saying that's right- but we've seen the demise of the club competitions where county managers won't even let players play with their club - obviosuly the universities are next.

Cloc Mor

You mention QUB AND UUJ and I think thats where Mickey Harte's problem lies.  He was squeezed out of St Mary's by Paddy Tally and he wants to take this out on all the universities.  The University competitions will never be squeezed out and to suggest this is totally outrageous.
In reply to Josey Wales, you probably have never played Sigerson football and I can tell you footballers who play this standard of fooball are better prepared than those who compete in the McKenna Cup.