McKenna Cup 2024

Started by never kickt a ball, December 30, 2006, 02:22:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SlimShady

saffron sam2

Chicken McErlane.  Played against him a few times myself on the right side of the Bann.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

SlimShady

wired to the moon!!  :D ;D

haven't had the pleasure of seeing him in action as a ref but Chicken was a 'character' while playing....for want of a better word!

never kickt a ball

Gallagher switch sealed

Rory Gallagher
10 January 2007
Cavan's football cause has received a timely fillip with the news that former Fermanagh ace Rory Gallagher's transfer to the Breffni County has been completed.
Gallagher's switch was rubber stamped yesterday (Tuesday) which makes him eligible to play against Queens University Belfast in the Gaelic Life McKenna Cup clash at Kingspan/Breffni Park on Saturday evening (6.30pm) next.
The 28 year old has been playing his club football with St. Brigid's in Dublin but it is likely that he will seek to transfer to a club in his adopted Cavan.
Confirming the transfer, Cavan boss Donal Keoghan welcomed the move.
"Rory Gallagher is officially a Cavan player from today (Tuesday)," said Keoghan.
"He's available for selection. He'll be an asset to us."

http://www.hoganstand.com/Cavan/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=70861

never kickt a ball

Crozier not happy with McKenna Cup rule09 January 2007

Derry football boss Paddy Crozier says the rule that allows universities have first call on county players has left one of his goalkeepers in a state of "limbo".

Glenullin clubman Eoin McNicholl - a student at UUJ - travelled with the Derry squad to Celtic Park to face Cavan last Sunday but ended up not getting a game with either his college or county because McNicholl had been named on the Jordanstown panel he was precluded from playing with the Oak Leafers.
"We were under the impression that he was involved with us, but when we named him in our panel the Ulster Council told us that he had already been named in the Jordanstown panel so we couldn't use him," claimed Derry boss Crozier.
"It's now left that the fella isn't fit to play football in the McKenna Cup. We wanted to see him but he can't be involved.
"He's not playing for Jordanstown and he's not playing for Derry so he's in limbo."

It's not just Mickey who's struggling with this?

http://www.hoganstand.com/Derry/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=70846

J70

If Gallagher lives in Cavan, why the hell is he not playing for his native county, the border of which is around 15 minutes drive from Cavan Town? Its one thing playing for another county if you live way down the country, but how can you turn out for your next-door neighbour from the same province?  ???

Must have been some row!

ExiledGael

Gallagher is a total tosser and any other county is welcome to the p***k. He is hugely talented and no doubt will put in one or two brilliant individual performances that will make people talk, but in the long-term i'm convinced Cavan football will suffer as a result of this.
Fermanagh football undoubtedly suffered as a result of him and his ego

BallyhaiseMan

supposedly Gallagher is working in Shercock in East Cavan....would be a fair journey down to Fermanagh to train...but nothing compared to what you hear of other players based in Dublin do many  times during the week....
Ah well hes more than welcome...i hope he will prove to be a big asset.

Malone Aristocrat

Just wondering if you'd revised your opinion on the o'neill sending off?

never kickt a ball:

I don't think anyone is "struggling" with any part of the mckenna cup except the three poly students who have been emotionally blackmailed to sit in the stand for tyrone instead of playing football with their tech.

never kickt a ball

Quote from: Malone Aristocrat on January 11, 2007, 10:27:58 AM
never kickt a ball:
I don't think anyone is "struggling" with any part of the mckenna cup except the three poly students who have been emotionally blackmailed to sit in the stand for tyrone instead of playing football with their tech.

Don't forget Aristo there is also a St Mary's student on the Tyrone Panel. With regards to this situation I remember when the Colleges first entered two/three years ago and Tyrone played Donegal in the final Mickey Harte was able to call on Sean Cavanagh and maybe a few other players (I can't remember their names) to play for Tyrone after they had played in earlier rounds for their Colleges. I assume this is still available to the Counties if they progress in the competition and the Colleges don't?

thebuzz

Quote from: Redhandfan on January 07, 2007, 09:12:06 PM
'Stevie was certainly provoked and received no protection from the Derry referee all through but that doesn't really excuse what he did. 

Some of James McCartan's players began to act 'the hard men' late in the game and, surprise surprise, the Derry referee did let them get away with a good bit for most of the time.'

Quote from: Saffron Sam
'Given the paranoia dripping from that post and that you fancy yourself as a well known quiz buff, I will give you the opportunity to redeem yourself by posing two simple questions.

1. The referee in question has played for three clubs, name them. (Hint ask Slim Shady about the first one)

2. Name the 'Derry' club that the referee is currently affliated to and that club's somewhat unique geographical location. '

Due to the fact that Chicken has played with Slim Shady I presume he is from Antrim and not actually Derry. I know he went to school in Maghera and is the current PRO for Ballinderry but something in the back of my mind tells me he is definitely a Lough Shore man of the Antrim variety.

SlimShady

What feckin age do you think i am?! i didnt play with Chicken McErlane, he did play for Cargin back in the day though.

never kickt a ball

Down bosses make three changes to panel

Thursday, January 11

Down bosses Ross Carr and DJ Kane have made three changes to their Senior football panel ahead of Sunday's Gaelic Life Dr McKenna Cup clash with UUJ in Burren.

Under the Ulster competition's new regulations managers are allowed name a 25 man panel, plus five more names that can be changed for each of the three section games.

Mourne County hurlers Brendan McGourty of Ballycran and Ballygalget's Gareth 'Magic' Johnson have both retained their places for the Section C tie with University of Ulster Jordanstown.

St Michael's Neal Sweeny, Joe Doran of Loughisland and Saval's Daniel Hughes have been drafted in for Sunday's game with Castlewellan's Kevin Duffin, Saval midfielder Peter Turley and his namesake of the Downpatrick club are the players to make way.

Down drew 0-9 apiece with Antrim last weekend in their McKenna Cup opener and will be looking for an improved performance against UUJ (throw-in 2pm).

DOWN PANEL - Bernard Connell (Drumgath), Aidan Burns (Castlewellan), Adrian Carville (Bryansford), Martin Cole (Rostrevor), Darren Cunningham (Saval), Barry Doran (Longstone), Kevin Gracey (Downpatrick), Conor Gribben (Bryansford), Eoin Henry (Warrenpoint), Stephen Kearney (Mitchels), Brendan Loughran (Shamrocks), Jack Lynch (Drumgath), Padraig Matthews (Clonduff), Ruairi McArdle (Castlewellan), Martin McClean (Kilcoo), Michael McVeigh (Castlewellan), Colin McCrickard (Liatroim), Brendan McGourty (Ballycran), Fintan McGreevy (Castlewellan), Kevin McGuigan (Shamrocks), Colm Murtagh (Glenn), Brendan Rodgers (Mayobridge), Brian Sweeney (St Michaels), Peter Telford (Downpatrick), Stephen Toner (Bryansford), Neal Sweeny (St Michaels), Joe Doran (Loughisland), Declan Rooney (Burren), Daniel Hughes (Saval), Gareth Johnson (Ballygalget).

http://www.gaa.ie/plugins/newsfeed.cgi?rm=content&plugin_data_id=17076

See in today's Irish news supporters were complaining about the shortage of programmes at McKenna Cup games. £7 to get in, a drenching at some games and no programme. In addition it was thought given all the new players on the panel that the players clubs should also be mentioned.

never kickt a ball

Quote from: never kickt a ball on January 07, 2007, 09:53:52 PM
Quote from: Malone Aristocrat on January 07, 2007, 09:33:00 PM

I'm not too sure what the Jersey numbers were but Niblock was full forward and did a fair bit of scoring. the man who missed the goal chances was joe ireland who was on as a blood sub at the time for vernon who took a very heavy blow to the head 15 minutes in

Yes that was it Ireland was a blood sub wearing Number 18 which was on the programme as Ciaran O'Reilly. I notice the BBC made the same mistake so at least I'm in exaulted company.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/northern_ireland/gaelic_games/6239325.stm

Well Aristo it's now Thursday and I haven't once read a report that mentions Jonathan Curran's save from Joe Ireland. Every report in every paper and website refers to (Fermanagh star) Ciaran O'Reilly taking the shot. The acid test will be tomorrow in Gaelic life. Will it mention Joe Ireland or Ciaran O'Reilly as taking the double shots. If they say it's Ciaran O'Rielly then maybe they don't read this Discussion Board or worse maybe they don't believe us.  ???

Also if anyone's interested K Kelly has a detailed report of the match on the following link:
http://www.tyronegaa.ie/county/football/news/story.jsp?newsid=277

Red Nose Red Hand

Anyone see the Harte interview on BBC this evening? Thomas Kane gave hime an easy ride - didn't ask him the obvious question - you know there's a rule which states that universities have first call on the players, so why do you choose to ignore the rule? Seems like it was all planned to project the Harte view and not challenge him in any way.