Started by never kickt a ball, December 30, 2006, 02:22:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Square Ball

Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

Malone Aristocrat

Quotekeeping track of my contributions ...keep reading

its more akin to brail

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Never mind lads, Donegal Tyrone final, sure we'll get sweet revenge for the embarrassment that was the McAnalan final
Tbc....

never kickt a ball

Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on January 07, 2007, 10:31:30 PM
Never mind lads, Donegal Tyrone final, sure we'll get sweet revenge for the embarrassment that was the McAnalan final

Correct me if I'm wrong Gaoth Dobhair I thought you got revenge a few months later in Clones?  ::)

J70

Quote from: never kickt a ball on January 08, 2007, 12:56:13 AM
Quote from: Gaoth Dobhair Abu on January 07, 2007, 10:31:30 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong Gaoth Dobhair I thought you got revenge a few months later in Clones?  ::)

The day Colm McFadden announced himself to the wider GAA public. Let's hope he finally builds on that this coming season.

thejohnharanexperi

A very wet day,a heavy and in places waterlogged pitch saw the opening game in Donegal's Mc Kenna Cup campaign of 2007.For the largest crowd to watch University opposition since the new look competition started 3 years ago - this New Years football was a damp squib.A moderate bunch of U-14's would have served up better fottball when compared to this.
We won by two points and eventually struggled to shake off a student side that was fit,organised and who played the better football in the opening quarter.In fact they were 1-1 up after 20 minutes before Donegal woke half comatose to level before half time.
There were 7 debutants (2 defenders,1 midfielder and 4 forwards) with the only experienced line of half backs,Monaghan,Dunnion and Eamon Mc Gee.Sweeney and Toye although named did,nt start and along with Devenney were'nt even on the bench.They were replaced by Rory K and Denis Boyle.
Yet again the endemic failing that is all Donegal football over the last 10 years appeared on cue i.e. the shapeless formation that develops when the team is put under pressure with the half forwards funnelling back into midfield resulting in no outlet for us when we do regain possession.Mc Iver has a year of stewardship and should have this major problem sorted by now.
A vast improvement will be needed to come out of Casement with both points.

Positives Brian Roper,Wappa Mc Menamin and Michael Murphy

Ciaran Sharkey 6.0 Batted out high ball to FF who fisted to net in first 15 minutes.Not physically imposing but pulled off a double save late in first half to somewhat redeem his earlier error.

Peter Witherow 6.0 Started shakily but cleared up a lot of ball as game wore on.Still fairly light for a corner back.

Paddy Campbell 6.5 Slow at outset giving time and space to the FF but lorded the full back line in second half.

Frank Mc Glynn 6.5 Better on the wing but can still do a job in the corner however unlikely this season to snatch Karlo's or Neil Mc Gee's positions.

Eamon Mc Gee 6.5 Always can appear a little nonvhalant as if half distracted but is deceptively strong and afew more games possibly at centre back to showcase his passing ability would be interesting

Barry Monaghan 6.0 solid but cannot take a quick free to save his life and too often gets caught faffing around when a 'driver her down the field' option is required.

Barry Dunnion 6.5 Brave as the proverbial and should improve from his great displays last season.Missed a couple of point chance in both halves.

Joe Friel 6.5 Fetched a couple of good ones and is a skilled footballer but needs to bulk up to play with the big boys in the league.Should be played throughout the remaining Mc Kenna Cup games to see if he can be a real alternnative to Boyler.

Rory Kavanagh 6.0 Caught soloing thru midfield on too many occasions when the quick long ball into the FF line was asked for.

Ryan Bradley 6.0 Did,nt do himself any favours and after a promising debut season in 2005 only featured once last year.Needs to get back to that aggressive straight line running he showed against Mayo in the league.However needs to be given every chance.

Brian Roper 8.0 MOTM and kicked final point to largest cheer of the day.The oldest player on the pitch and by my reckoning must be close to Matt Gallaghers all time appearance record of 125.Played with his customary spirit and displayed a sharpness and turn of speed that turned back the clock for the Rock of Corker.Sliced thru the heart of the UUJ defence laying off unselfishly for the goal.

Johnny Mc Loone 6.0 Kicked too many balls weakly into the keepers hands but fired home the goal well.

Kevin Mc Menamin 7.5 Small,quick and skill redolent of the wee man and showed constanmtly for ball thruout the game.Kicked 3 points and could possibly cause a corner back trouble on a harder sod.Promising and confident debut.

Benny Byrne 6.0 Desperately looking for a FF and resembles Paddy Mc Nulty in style.Needs to improve dramitically to retain a panel place for the league.

Denis Boyle 6.0 Again one that let the game slip by and needs to be given another chance.

Subs: Kevin Cassidy 6.5 Fielded well but was confused as to role as game descended into a schoolyard kickaround in the closing minutes.

Michael Murphy 7.0 Potential there to be a colossal footballer for Donegal but caution needs to be exercised in that he is still a minor and he is used sparingly in the Senior set up for now.Did not look phased and kicked a fine 45.

Neil Mc Gee and Michael Mc Elhinney not on long enough to rate

Referee Martin Higgins was as farcical as ever and did'nt have the wit to allow for the conditions.His interpretation of the pick up off the ground was infuriating.
Yeah! that's right it's thejohnharanexperience

realredhandfan

I agree with most of what has been said already except must give credit to the Gatemen at Omagh.  Was on crutches and paid £7 in at the turnstyles.  After I Had passed through the wee man noticed I was on critches and came out of the back of the turnstyles and gave me the £7 back.  It was unexpected but must admit It was a nice touch.  We often can be very critical.  On to the game.  I genuinely wouldnt lose too much sleep over the defence with Gormley Harte and Jordan all to come back and more talent on the bench it will be Tyrones strongest unit this year.  I honestly thought bar Mulligan, most Tyrone players impressed if at times in fits and starts.  I thought Kelvin debuted well - was a major link man on a day unfit for clean catching, in the second half set up 1 - 2,  scored his trademark point and covered end to end all game bar a quiet last 15 in the first half, at least 3 times was behind the defence but the ball wasnt passed in to him, as for Colqhoun, Donnelly and in particular Gormley, i was thrilled with these guys. I like Mc carron the sub, Cavanagh was sublime, Mc Menamin strong, aome of his passing poor, I enjoyed hubs performance and looks keener already than he was last year.  Scoreline flatterd Tyrone in the end, but theres a lot more positives than negatives in this game.  Mugsy we dont need to see until August and O Neill'sl loss is pprobably enough to cost us the 2 points V the Dubs.  Finally the best Anthem singer in Ireland is from Omagh.. 

never kickt a ball

redhandfan
QuoteWas on crutches and paid £7 in at the turnstyles.  After I Had passed through the wee man noticed I was on critches and came out of the back of the turnstyles and gave me the £7 back.  It was unexpected but must admit It was a nice touch

Anybody lend me a pair of crutches for next week?

MrC

Quote from: thejohnharanexperi on January 08, 2007, 09:47:00 AM

There were 7 debutants (2 defenders,1 midfielder and 4 forwards)

8 debutants yesterday, six of which were in the starting lineup - Goalkeeper Ciaran Sharkey, corner back Peter Witherow, half-forward Johnny McLoone and the entire full-forward line of Wappa, Benny Byrne and Denis Boyle. Substitutes McElhinney and Murphy were also making their first appearances at senior level bringing the total to eight.

Was impressed with Wappa yesterday and Brian Roper was immense! Wee Ropes went through a mountain of work and led what was an inexperienced attack by example. Thought Ciaran Sharkey recovered well after his early mishap while Cassidy steadied the ship when he came on.

Frank McGlynn was grand in the left corner, while young Witherow was okay on the otherside. However, Neil McGee and Karl Lacey will certainly not be quaking in their boots.

Conditions were dreadful in Ballyshannon yesterday and the referee was a disaster.

I see from this morning's Donegal News that McIver wants the Antrim game on Saturday night.
'Sam's For The Hills' - Anthony Molloy, 20th September 1992

Cloc Mor

QuoteWas on crutches and paid £7 in at the turnstyles.  After I Had passed through the wee man noticed I was on critches and came out of the back of the turnstyles and gave me the £7 back.  It was unexpected but must admit It was a nice touch.

Call me cynical but I don't think this was anything to do with being a nice touch.  It is more to do with insurance as lets say the guy on crutches slips and falls - if he has paid in he can claim, if he hasn't paid in apparently he can't claim.  I might be wrong on this one but I have heard this said before.

realredhandfan

Agh Cloc Mor ye cynical auld fecker - ;) Ill take the less cynical viewpoint  - how could they have proved that I didnt pay in anyway if i was a claimant?
As for the Girl who sings in Omagh, I would love to hear her sing On All Ireland final day,  She would lift the roof of Croke park.  As for tyrone Im happy that when the forward line is sorted out we will be a force to be reckoned with again.  I am very excited about this year.

Cloc Mor

RHF, only saying it as I believe it.  I way be wrong and feel free to correct me if I am.  Not big on insurance claims or getting into matches for free, for that matter.

never kickt a ball

Quote from: Cloc Mor on January 08, 2007, 06:26:32 PM
QuoteWas on crutches and paid £7 in at the turnstyles.  After I Had passed through the wee man noticed I was on critches and came out of the back of the turnstyles and gave me the £7 back.  It was unexpected but must admit It was a nice touch.
Call me cynical but I don't think this was anything to do with being a nice touch.  It is more to do with insurance as lets say the guy on crutches slips and falls - if he has paid in he can claim, if he hasn't paid in apparently he can't claim.  I might be wrong on this one but I have heard this said before.
I might be wrong but if you are on the premises you are owed a "duty of care" regardless if you paid or not. Children don't pay in but obviously are owed a similar duty of care. I'm think it appears like a benevolent gesture redhandfan. Maybe following all the McGuigan controversy the Ulster Council have reviewed their admissions policy - but then why would they? REPEAT: Could anyone lend me a pair of crutches for Sunday?

never kickt a ball

Cavan shotstopper makes comeback

Tuesday, January 9

James Reilly will make his return to the Cavan Senior football panel when the Breffni Blues hold a training session on Tuesday night.

It had been reported that Reilly, a former All-Star nominee between the sticks, had decided to take a year away from the intercounty fold in 2007.

However, those reports have proved unfounded with the 24-year-old set to make his comeback in Saturday evening's floodlit Gaelic Life Dr McKenna Cup Section B clash with Queens University Belfast at Kingspan Breffni Park (throw-in 6.30pm).

http://www.gaa.ie/plugins/newsfeed.cgi?rm=content&plugin_data_id=17033

saffron sam2

Quote from: Redhandfan on January 07, 2007, 09:12:06 PM
Stevie was certainly provoked and received no protection from the Derry referee all through but that doesn't really excuse what he did.  

Some of James McCartan's players began to act 'the hard men' late in the game and, surprise surprise, the Derry referee did let them get away with a good bit for most of the time.

Given the paranoia dripping from that post and that you fancy yourself as a well known quiz buff, I will give you the opportunity to redeem yourself by posing two simple questions.

1. The referee in question has played for three clubs, name them. (Hint ask Slim Shady about the first one)

2. Name the 'Derry' club that the referee is currently affliated to and that club's somewhat unique geographical location.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet