McKenna Cup 2024

Started by never kickt a ball, December 30, 2006, 02:22:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

McKenna Cup is a 5 game series (hopefully), including training sessions. To play students against students would not be a clever idea for obvious reasons.

Unable to make the game. Regarding newcomers, who enhanced their reputation?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

never kickt a ball

QuoteRegarding newcomers, who enhanced their reputation?

Poor conditions made this game difficult to assess players. Having said this Curran with his saves and varied kick outs and Niall Gormley with his scoring did themselves no harm.

David McKeown

Just as a matter of interest how many times is that now O'Neil has been straight red carded in his inter county career?
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

never kickt a ball

Dr McKenna Cup results

Section A
St Mary's 0-4 0-10 Armagh
Fermanagh 0-5 1-10 Monaghan

Section B
Derry 0-12 0-17 Cavan
Queen's University 0-9 2-14 Tyrone

Section C
Donegal 1-6 1-4 UUJ
Down 0-9 0-9 Antrim

ONeill

I'd be very worried about Tyrone's discipline. Last year they were easily drawn into that type of shenanigans, forgetting that they're the better footballing team. Laois turned them over by riling them - and it worked wonders for Derry. Remember their one defeat in 2005? Remember the NFL defeat last year. I was hoping Mickey would've sorted that out.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

David McKeown

What were the admission prices for the games today?  I remember last year in the Armagh v Jordanstown game i was refused student prices
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

Cloc Mor

£7 for the Down/Antrim game to stand on a wet grassy bank.

Malone Aristocrat

Quote from: tyroneman on January 07, 2007, 08:16:36 PM

I take it from your latter posts you were on the sideline with the injured player? If so I apologise for my post.

Otherwise I stand by my viewpoint. From where I sat there was no uppercut, just a shove (and get yr facts straight - I never mentioned a push in the chest).

I also believe that unless Mike Tyson (vintage era) had been coaching SON there was some serious overacting on Donaghy's part.

Still, I'm sure your Malone / Queens insight will provide those of us who have been on the board slightly longer with some valuable lessons.

It's ok Tyroneman, you can come on and aplogise after utv show it tomorrow night.

Interesting that you think having posted on this board for some predetermined length of time enhances your posting pedigree... there is no evdence of this in anything you've posted to date.

But you're probably right... donaghy probably had a razor blade and a bag of cosmetic blood under his jersey.

It'd be helpful if one of the credible tyrone posters could put tyroneman correct on the sending off incident before everyone sees it on tv.

by the way never kicked a ball... neither m o'rourke nor c o'reilly played with queens today

Redhandfan

Terrible conditions at Healy Park today and I have to say that I felt a bit sorry for the newcomers who were trying to impress on the Tyrone side.  A couple of them - namely Jonathan Curran in goals and Niall Gormley at corner forward - did very well while the rest will want to do a bit better in their next outing.  Tyrone's team line-out contained a few surprises, the most notable of them the half back pairing of Hub Hughes in the centre and Martin Penrose on the wing.  I would expect Mickey Harte to make wholesale changes for the Derry game to give the other newcomers, who were on the bench today, their chance to impress.  

I suppose we shouldn't be too critical of the game today given the conditions and the fact that many of the players would have been a little ring rusty.  I have to say that Stevie O'Neill was foolish to react the way he did in the second half and cannot have any major complaints about being sent-off.  Stevie was certainly provoked and received no protection from the Derry referee all through but that doesn't really excuse what he did.  Stevie appeared to strike the QUB player and, whatever about the remaining games in the McKenna Cup, he will be a huge miss for the opening NFL game against Dublin.  I have to agree with some previous posters that Armagh's big prospect Charlie Vernon was no big shake today.  He was in direct opposition to Sean Cavanagh (future brother-in-law?) and certainly came out second best.  Some of James McCartan's players began to act 'the hard men' late in the game and, surprise surprise, the Derry referee did let them get away with a good bit for most of the time.

Player Ratings
Jonathan Curran...A dream debut.  Three point blank saves and decent kick-outs (8.5)
Paul McGurk...Struggled today.  Was replaced in the second half by the more reliable Mickey McGee (5)
Cormac McGinley...Sound enough performance, although he did lack pace at times (7)
Dermot Carlin...Outstanding in the first half.  Quieter in the second (8)
Ryan McMenamin...Showed excellent leadership qualities.  Always in the action (8)
Kevin Hughes...An unusual role for Hub and he didn't always look comfortable (6)
Martin Penrose...Another mixed bag.  Good carrying the ball out of defence but poor marking at times (7)
Kelvin Hughes...A few nice touches but not involved enough in the game overall (6)
Sean Cavanagh...Easily the best midfield player on view.  Showed a good appetite (8.5)
Declan Treanor...Started off well and set up the second goal but was anonymous for long periods (6)
Colm Donnelly...Worked really hard but his shooting let him down on occasions. Worth another look (7)
Chris Colhoun...Tried hard and made some good runs.  Also made some errors and poor in front of goal (6)
Niall Gormley...Very impressive debut.  Always a threat and took some terrific scores (8.5)
Stephen O'Neill...Well marked but should have been awarded more frees.  His red card marred the win (6.5)
Owen Mulligan...Out of sorts today and was replaced at half-time by a much livelier Aidan McCarron (5)
Aidan McCarron...Scored with his first touch and did OK when he came on (7)
Michael McGee...Not on long enough to be rated.

never kickt a ball

Quoteby the way never kicked a ball... neither m o'rourke nor c o'reilly played with queens today

Cheers malone. As the game went on i found it difficult to read the numbers on the shirts given the weather conditions. Was it Niblock who did the scoring and Was it Crozier who Curran saved twice from?

imtommygunn

Who's Niall Gormley who did the scoring for Tyrone? What club is he from or what age group is he?

Haven't heard of him before. There's a Niall ??? from Donaghmore - it's not him is it?

never kickt a ball

Niall Gormley is aTrillick man Tommy. The Tyrone squad with their clubs is posted earlier on this thread - page 3.

Malone Aristocrat

I'm not too sure what the Jersey numbers were but Niblock was full forward and did a fair bit of scoring. the man who missed the goal chances was joe ireland who was on as a blood sub at the time for vernon who took a very heavy blow to the head 15 minutes in

never kickt a ball

Quote from: Malone Aristocrat on January 07, 2007, 09:33:00 PM

I'm not too sure what the Jersey numbers were but Niblock was full forward and did a fair bit of scoring. the man who missed the goal chances was joe ireland who was on as a blood sub at the time for vernon who took a very heavy blow to the head 15 minutes in

Yes that was it Ireland was a blood sub wearing Number 18 which was on the programme as Ciaran O'Reilly. I notice the BBC made the same mistake so at least I'm in exaulted company. I was reading Niblocks jersey as 15 in the mud instead of 14 which is what he was wearing.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/northern_ireland/gaelic_games/6239325.stm

tyroneman

QuoteInteresting that you think having posted on this board for some predetermined length of time enhances your posting pedigree

Never claimed that - more a comment on yr quite ignorant start-off postings.

Quotethere is no evdence of this in anything you've posted to date

havn't been on the board in earnest for a while - but glad to see yr a fan though, keeping track of my contributions ...keep reading