McKenna Cup 2024

Started by never kickt a ball, December 30, 2006, 02:22:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cloc Mor

Any word on the 'Poly 3' - Boggs, Cavanagh and McCaul.  I take it they took no part, getting splinters on their arses from the bench, when they could have been playing a full match for UUJ (who could have been doing with them).  Feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

tyroneman

O'Neill did not punch that fella, he shoved him at best - I was directly in front of the incident about 6/7 rows from edge and could see it clearly.

Stand corrected with Vernon - reason I thought he was no12 was cos a lad in the crowd screamed 'great work charlie vernon' as no12 fielded a high ball on his own in the 2nd half.

Who was the brave no3 for Queens who ran 30yrds to hit Cavanagh from behind?

phpearse

QuoteWho was the brave no3 for Queens who ran 30yrds to hit Cavanagh from behind?

Daniel McCartan

Cloc Mor

Surprised he got either ball or man - he normally runs round like a headless chicken.

Norf Tyrone

QuoteAny word on the 'Poly 3' - Boggs, Cavanagh and McCaul.  I take it they took no part, getting splinters on their arses from the bench, when they could have been playing a full match for UUJ (who could have been doing with them).  Feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

Boggs didna play anyhow...
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

Malone Aristocrat

i'd say its not the first time you've heard this, but Tyroneman you talk a lot of shite.

O'Neill was well marked all day by mccartan although the referee. could've afforded both sets of forwards handier frees. The sending off was well merited. the ref had no choice and o'neill knew it was coming. o'neill was fouled and got his free, pushing and shoving followed and 2 or 3 from each side got involved in handbags. as things were dying down o'neill floored gavin donaghy with the sweetest uppercut you ever saw. to say it was a dive or he was struck in the chest is just plain wrong. donaghy had to be helped from the field of play not to return and his eye was completely closed by the time he got into the stand.

now o'neill had plenty of grounds for complaint in terms of having to earn frees twice or three times, but then so had every forward on the pitch. for an intercounty player of his experience to strike out with the ref less that 10 yards away is stupidity personified, but then o'neill is no stranger to the red mist.

queens made a decent game of it with 6 or 7 starters including their 3 main scorers missing and their missed goal chances before half time could have made for a very different second half.

Cloc Mor

Welcome to the board Malone Aristrocrat - your report on some of the incidents of the game wouldn't be through a pair of 'Queen's' glasses?

Malone Aristocrat

undoubtedly, but o'neill struck donaghy a fierce blow and whatever colour your glasses, wishing it weren't so won't change the facts.

Norf Tyrone

Quoteas things were dying down o'neill floored gavin donaghy with the sweetest uppercut you ever saw.

Is Donaghey from Claudy? If he is him and Stevie would be virtual neighbours....
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

reddgnhand

O'Neill deserved to go. How many times is he going to react to these type of incidents and then get himself sent off. We had a at least 10 players out there today playing their 1st game for Tyrone and needed help from our more experienced players like O'Neill. When it happened i just thought to yself what an asshole you can be at times Stevie.    

Cloc Mor

Quoteundoubtedly, but o'neill struck donaghy a fierce blow and whatever colour your glasses, wishing it weren't so won't change the facts.

I couldn't give a f**k who hit who in a Queens/Tyrone game.  If you were on here long enough you would realise that.  I was commenting on the slant of your report which was decidedly from a Queens perspective.

never kickt a ball

Stephen O'Neill opened the scoring with a free. (0-1 to 0-0). Mugsy added a second point from wide on the left shortly after McGourty tackled Hub around the neck. A foul on S Cavanagh saw him convert the resulting free for a 0-3 to 0-0 lead. Paul Courtney and Kevin Hughes picked up yellows, Queens after several missed shooting chances eventually opened the scoring with a free from James McGovern following a foul on M O'Rourke. Then came Curran's spectacular double save from blood sub Joe Ireland who was on for Charlie Vernon. Curran parried Ireland's first shot back at him but he got up again to save the second effort. (Impressive). James McGovern made the score 0-2 to 0-3 with a good score. Niall Gormley replied with a good point for Tyrone. A foul on SON saw Mugsy make it 5-2 from the resultant free. Colm Donnelly who previously missed a chance made it 0-6 to 0-2. The half finished with another magnificent save from Curran who diverted a rasping shot from Niblock out for a 45. (Half-time 0-6 to 0-2 for Tyrone).

Aiden McCarron replaced Mugsy at the start of the second half. Tyrone got off to a quick start in the second half with 4 scores from Aiden McCarron, (Niall Gormley, Christy Colhoun after some great quick passing, and Sean Cavanagh. 0-10 to 0-2. Qub then enjoyed a good attacking spell with four points from Gavin Donaghy twice and Kevin Niblock and a long range effort from Aidan Carr. Niblock made it five and then six in a row for QUB to bring thee margin to 2 pts (0-10 to 0-8). Tyrone responded with a goal from Niall Gormley to effectively put an end to the competition (1-10 to 0-8). Mcgee replaced McGurk. Kelvin Hughes then got his name on the score sheet with a fisted point and Christy Colhoun extended Tyrone's lead to 1-12 to 0-8. The game was becoming more niggly and after an earlier skirmish there followed another one following a foul on O'Neill. Stevie unfortunately made a striking movement at Gavin Donaghy (who performed the customary sack of potatoes) and to me the ref apologetically sent him off. It wasn't a shocking blow by O'Neill but he was probably done for the intent. References to the referee's Derry pedigree were heard above the resulting boos as O'Neill walked. (He's out for next week's Derry game and also it seems the clash with Dublin in Croke Park). QUB's Paul Courtney was sent off minutes later for two yellows as the game drew to a conclusion. Tyrone scored two more points from A McCarron and a S Cavanagh free while Daniel McCartan replied for QUB. Tyrone finished the scoring with a goal from Colm Donnelly. Final Score: 2-14 to 0-9.

The UUJ three were all present with the Tyrone squad but were not called upon. The injured members (Dooher, Gormley and McGuigan) were also present in addition to Gerard Cavlan.

Curran

Paul McGurk  C McGinley   Dermot Carlin

Ricey    HUB Hughes   Martin Penrose

S Cavanagh,  Kelvin Hughes

Declan Treanor       Colm Donnelly      Christy Colhoun
                             Niall Gormley          O'Neill               Mugsy

Feargal Murphy
Hugh Gallagher Daniel McCartan Ryan Dillon
Mark Rooney Gerard O'Kane  Justin Crozier
Paul Courtney Charlie Vernon
Gavin Donaghy Aidan Carr Kevin McGourty
Michael Ward Kevin Niblock James McGovern   

tyroneman

Quotei'd say its not the first time you've heard this, but Tyroneman you talk a lot of shite.

Interesting opening from a new member. Good to see the standard of manners at Queens remains as high as ever and a pleasure to meet you.

I take it from your latter posts you were on the sideline with the injured player? If so I apologise for my post.

Otherwise I stand by my viewpoint. From where I sat there was no uppercut, just a shove (and get yr facts straight - I never mentioned a push in the chest).

I also believe that unless Mike Tyson (vintage era) had been coaching SON there was some serious overacting on Donaghy's part.

I do agree that SON should know better than to get involved in ANY activity like that and learn from his past mistakes. Red Mist in the McKenna cup doesn't bode well when the knackers in the Championship get started.

Still, I'm sure your Malone / Queens insight will provide those of us who have been on the board slightly longer with some valuable lessons.

chuck hughes

Any truth that Mc Gourty got sent off after game for verbal abuse and is looking at a possible 8 week ban?

Cloc Mor

QuoteIt will be interesting to see how the Ulster Council deals with this situation.

I would be more interested in O'Neills take on the situation, after all
QuoteMickey has chosen 3 Tyrone players out of 16 who are playing for the Unis this weekend. Just 3 players he needs to see in action acclimatising to his system.  O' Neill

Well?