McKenna Cup 2024

Started by never kickt a ball, December 30, 2006, 02:22:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maximus Marillius

A real tough decision for the three Tyrone lads

Play for Tyrone and have the chance to win an Ulster or All Ireland or play for the uni and won the sigerson
??? ??? ???

Wonder what they will do?

They'll play for the uni because.... it will make them better players :D :D :D :D

Why dont they stop playing for the uni and prevent all that burnout. The only pull the uni has is its money offer to the students, thats it.

Quarterback

Id say uuj wont be too impressed with colms decision to play for the county...Given the was sean was looked after more than well by uuj.

Fionntamhnach

Having known Boggs and Cavanagh with them coming through the Vocationals, they've been put in a real shitty position in all of this and is hardly fair on the lads involved. What does Mickey Harte intend to achieve in doing this?

supersarsfields

To be honest i'm very surprised that mickey's doing this. And your right Bummer it's a bit tough on the players involved! Surely they would prob get more minutes on the pitch playing for the uni's than in the Tyrone panel were there will be even more rotation!!

ONeill

Mickey has chosen 3 Tyrone players out of 16 who are playing for the Unis this weekend. Just 3 players he needs to see in action acclimatising to his system. Not a big ask, esp as they wouldn't be recognised as the top 3 Tyrone players at uni. 3 positions in dire need perhaps, before Dublin 3rd feb.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Orior

Why not bring the PSNI into the tournament? They coul arrest and detain 15 county players (a la Mickey Harte) and have them play for the Queen.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

realredhandfan

Mickey is pulling no punches here, so Tyrone men bear with him... has he let us down before, this panel is flexible so if you dont do the job you are out.  I believe he is giving these particular  guys a better chance of making the county squads rather than farming them out on loan to the universities.  He wants to see them, so that they can be included or not.  The Mc kenna cup has been revitalised by Mickey Harte, hes entitled to take it seriously.  For years the rest didnt- its great to see them catching up.  My prediction this year is that Tyrone will not win the competition but it could be the most important yet for bedding in new players.  Put your pension on a Tyrone Dublin AIF this year. 

never kickt a ball

Derry manager Paddy Crozier has named three debutants in his side for Sunday's McKenna Cup meeting with Cavan.

Kieran McIver, Aidan McAlynn and Raymond Wilkinson are given their first competitive starts and are joined in the side by established stars such as Barry Gillis, Paddy Bradley, Kevin McGuckin and Patsy Bradley.

Wilkinson is included at wing forward after impressing in Ballinderry's recent Ulster club championship campaign, while another Ballinderry man, Conleth Gilligan, makes a return to inter-county action after a year-long absence. County hurler and former All-Ireland minor winner Ruairi Convery is named at left half forward.

Derry (SF v Cavan): B Gillis; M McGoldrick, K McGuckin, J Keenan; P Cartin, K McIver, A McAlynn; J Diver, Patsy Bradley; R Wilkinson, C Gilligan, R Convery; J Kelly, Paddy Bradley, A McCartney.

http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=70654

never kickt a ball

The Donegal team to play U.U.J in the Dr.McKenna Cup on Sunday 7th January in Ballyshannon has been named. Throw in @ 2.00pm

Ciaran Sharkey Dungloe
Peter Witherow St Michaels
Paddy Campbell Naomh Conaill
Frank McGlynn Glenfin
Eamon McGee Gaoth Dobhair
Barry Monaghan Four Masters
Barry Dunnion Four Masters
Joe Friel Clochaneely
Christy Toye St Michaels
Ryan Bradley Buncrana
Brian Roper Aodh Ruadh
Johnny McLoone Naomh Conaill
Kevin McMenamin Termon
Benny Byrne Four Masters
Adrian Sweeney Dungloe

http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=70653

MrC

Interesting selection by Brian McIver for Sunday's clash. A bit surprised to see Johnny McLoone to be honest, but am glad to see the like of Wappa, Witherow and Benny Byrne get their chance to shine. Also I think it's good to see big Joe Friel from Cloughaneely get a chance, he was immense for Cloughaneely this year.

As for the absentees: Paul Durkin, Karl Lacey and Michael Doherty are involved with Sligo IT; Brendan Boyle, Colm McFadden and Stephen McDermott are out injured while Neil Gallagher joins the casualty list - he has to get his tonsils out next week; and Neil McGee is involved with Gaoth Dobhair U21s

The likes of Brendan Devenney and Paddy McConnigley will also be unleashed on the McKenna Cup in the coming weeks.

Will be interested to see how the new faces perform and also how the shining lights from last year get on.
'Sam's For The Hills' - Anthony Molloy, 20th September 1992

Uladh

whats happening with kevin cassidy this year mrc?

Mid Mon

Anyone with any more starting lineups?

MrC

Quote from: Uladh on January 05, 2007, 11:17:33 AM

whats happening with kevin cassidy this year mrc?

Apologies, Cass should have been listed there with Devenney and McConnigley as a man who's making a return. Cass has been back training since before XMas from what I hear and hopefully can recapture his form of old. One of the best footballers around when on his day,

Also to get back is Conall Dunne who is out with a broken leg while the Thompsons, Tommy Donoghue, Mickey Hegarty, Stephen McHugh and Michael Boyle from last year still have to get a run.

We've lost James Gallagher, Martin Caulfield, Damien Diver and Ray Sweeney from last year to retirement. I'd say Stephen Cass would be on board as well but for his ban!
'Sam's For The Hills' - Anthony Molloy, 20th September 1992

Over the Bar

QuotePut your pension on a Tyrone Dublin AIF this year. 

So if they are drawn in the QFs or SFs your pension is up the Swanee?  ???

The Bottom Brick

Cavan wil beat Derry Sunday I think, looks like Derry have a weak team out... Any thoughts?
33, 35, 47, 48, 52, 07!