McKenna Cup 2024

Started by never kickt a ball, December 30, 2006, 02:22:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

never kickt a ball

Gordon is the new senior team captain
17 January 2008

Dan Gordon the experienced Loughinisland clubman has been selected as the new Down senior football team captain for the coming season.

Gordon has been a regular midfielder on the Mourne side for the past number of years, and is rated as one of the best midfielders in the game at the present time.

An Ulster interprovincial player, Gordon is very honoured to be appointed captain of his native county, and is hoping to play a leading role in getting the team to compete for major honours in the coming months in both league and championship.

Dan's first competitive game as team-captain was a recent Dr. McKenna Cup clash against Tyrone in Healy Park, Omagh - a game that the Mourne side lost despite matched the home side in everything but the scoreboard. However, he had better luck in his second outing with the county squad on Wednesday night, 16th of January when the Down side under manager Ross Carr went on a scoring spree and easily defeated Donegal in the second round of the Dr. McKenna Cup at the Pairc Esler, Newry venue under lights - notching up an impressive 5-14 into the bargain. This win puts the Down side right back into contention in the race for McKenna Cup honours again.

The leading question now is can Dan lead his inexperienced Down side to McKenna Cup honours in 2008 - it would be a great start to his captaincy, and a tremendous boost to Down football ahead of what is expected to be a very tough and interesting league and championship season.

http://www.hoganstand.com/Down/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=87892

Uladh

never kickt a ball  - Do the Ulster council consider it part of your work time to be posting up all this info?

never kickt a ball

Quote from: Uladh on January 18, 2008, 12:01:14 PM

never kickt a ball  - Do the Ulster council consider it part of your work time to be posting up all this info?

Yes I know. I just have an affinity for the competition. I know it's sad but sure what the hell.

never kickt a ball

Down v UUJ fixture moves to Newry
The venue for Saturday's Gaelic Life McKenna Cup match between Down and UUJ has been switched from Newcastle to Newry (1800 GMT). Down still have a chance of making the semi-finals after a convincing win over Donegal at Pairc Esler on Wednesday. The Mourne men will qualify for the last four if they see off the students. The semi-finals of the competition will take place on Tuesday 22 January and Wednesday 23 January with the final being staged on Saturday 26 January.
Derry will face Fermanagh, UUJ or Down in one semi-final and Cavan play UUJ or Down in the other.
Story from BBC SPORT:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/sport1/hi/northern_ireland/gaelic_games/7196554.stm

never kickt a ball

The UUJ team for Down game:

Tyrones own

Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

ExiledGael

Good christ!

So where are we now. Paddy Heaney says on the back page that if Down beat UUJ by more than a point then Fermanagh go through to semis. If UUJ win then Fermanagh are also through I think?

never kickt a ball

Quote from: ExiledGael on January 19, 2008, 11:54:48 AM
Good christ!

So where are we now. Paddy Heaney says on the back page that if Down beat UUJ by more than a point then Fermanagh go through to semis. If UUJ win then Fermanagh are also through I think?

Yes that appears to be it. A win for UUJ and a draw and Fermanagh go through. An if Down win well Fermanagh go through.

never kickt a ball

Gaelic Life Dr McKenna Cup Final Tables   

Section A    Played   Won   Draw   Lost   Points    For   Against   Scoring Average
Derry   3   3   0   0   6   46   28   1.400
Fermanagh   3   2   0   1   4    43   37   1.162
St Mary's   3   0   1   2   1   41   52   0.788
Armagh   3   2   1   2   1    29   42   0.690

Section B   Played   Won   Draw   Lost   Points    For   Against   Scoring Average
Down   2   1   0   1   4    57   42  1.357
UUJ   2   2   0   0  4   46   42   1.095
Tyrone   3   1   0   2  2   34   34   1.000
Donegal   3   1   0   2   2     27   30  0.900

Section C     Played   Won   Draw   Lost   Points    For   Against   Scoring Average
Cavan   3   1   0   1   4   40   33   1.212
QUB   3   2   0   0   4     37   39   0.948
Monaghan   3   1   0   2   2     36   32  1.125
Antrim   3   1   0   2  2   31   40   0.755

Semi Finals

The first semi-final is on Tuesday at Newry on Tuesday, 22 January when Cavan play Down at 2000GMT.

On Wednesday Derry face Fermanagh at Omagh (2000GMT).

118cmal

Fermanagh to send out a pretty much full strength side against an experimental derry team should see fermanagh through to the final where they will beat close neighbours cavan in a tight game.

This will springboard the wee county to promotion in the National league and an ulster final appearance.

Am I in dreamland?

FermPundit

Quote from: 118cmal on January 20, 2008, 10:17:51 AM
Fermanagh to send out a pretty much full strength side against an experimental derry team should see fermanagh through to the final where they will beat close neighbours cavan in a tight game.

This will springboard the wee county to promotion in the National league and an ulster final appearance.

Am I in dreamland?

Don't be getting too carried away!!

I'm not sure what side Fermanagh will put out on Wednesday night but I guess it'll be pretty decent but not completely full strength. I'm sure O'Rourke will remian loyal to the guys that have played in the group stages.

Whilist I'd be pleased to see us progress to a McKenna cup final I woudn't want expectations to be raised so early on in the year. If it raises confidence among the squad then that's a positive thing but it's only the McKenna cup and there's a tough division 3 NFL campaign ahead just around the corner!
We'll win Ulster some day, not sure when.

Caitlin

Lakeland is dreamland.Down to beat Derry by 2 points at a baltic Casement Park.Dan Gordon takes Mc Kenna home for first time in 10 years.

southdown

Dont get carried away Caitlin, Cavan are a boggy team for Down.