McKenna Cup 2024

Started by never kickt a ball, December 30, 2006, 02:22:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

never kickt a ball

Minister Poots at Newry GAA match
Sports Minister Edwin Poots became the first DUP politician to attend a Gaelic football match in an official capacity at Pairc Esler, Newry, on Wednesday. He was at the McKenna Cup game between Down and Donegal. Mr Poots was welcomed by GAA president Nickey Brennan, director general Liam Mulvihill and Ulster Council president Tom Daly. The invitation to attend a GAA fixture had been accepted when Mr Poots spoke at a GAA conference in October. "This is a landmark occasion in the further development of community relations on the island of Ireland when a Unionist Minister is prepared to attend one of our games," said president Brennan. "For me this highlights the good standing of the Ulster Council who I know have developed an exceptionally positive relationship with Mr Poots. "I am absolutely enthused that the Minister has been so receptive to the role and relevance of the GAA in Ulster and the contribution it makes to sport and communities. "I wish to acknowledge the genuine commitment and professionalism of Edwin Poots in assisting the GAA with our development programmes in Ulster. "I look forward to him taking up my invitation to attend Croke Park for an event in the near future."
Story from BBC SPORT:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/sport1/hi/northern_ireland/gaelic_games/7190216.stm

never kickt a ball

Down 5-14 0-13 Donegal
Down are still in with a chance of making the semi-finals of the Gaelic Life McKenna Cup after a convincing win over Donegal at Pairc Esler. They were 3-7 to 0-7 up at half-time thanks to one goal from Jack Lynch and two from debutant John McAreavey. Ryan Bradley scored five frees in the second half as Donegal battled. But Down got further goals through sub Packie Downey and Danny Hughes and they could go through as best losers if they beat UUJ at Newcastle on Saturday.
Story from BBC SPORT:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/sport1/hi/northern_ireland/gaelic_games/7193056.stm

never kickt a ball

Gaelic Life Dr McKenna Cup Tables   

Section A    Played   Won   Draw   Lost   Points    For   Against   Scoring Average
Derry   3   3   0   0   6   46   28   1.400
Fermanagh   3   2   0   1   4    43   37   1.162
St Mary's   3   0   1   2   1   41   52   0.788
Armagh   3   2   1   2   1    29   42   0.690

Section B   Played   Won   Draw   Lost   Points    For   Against   Scoring Average
UUJ   2   2   0   0  4   31   24   1.292
Down   2   1   0   1   2    39   27   1.444
Tyrone   3   1   0   2  2   34   34   1.000
Donegal   3   1   0   2   2     27   30  0.900

Remaining fixture: UUJ v Down at Newcastle

Section C     Played   Won   Draw   Lost   Points    For   Against   Scoring Average
Cavan   3   1   0   1   4   40   33   1.212
QUB   3   2   0   0   4     37   39   0.948
Monaghan   3   1   0   2   2     36   32  1.125
Antrim   3   1   0   2  2   31   40   0.755

Cavan, Derry and then two from UUJ, Down and Fermanagh

TacadoirArdMhacha

Looks like the Poly and Down will both make it provided that neither beats the other well at the weekend.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

never kickt a ball

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on January 16, 2008, 10:58:56 PM
Looks like the Poly and Down will both make it provided that neither beats the other well at the weekend.

Both will go through if Down win by a small margin. If UUJ win will Fermanagh not go through?

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: never kickt a ball on January 16, 2008, 10:38:18 PM
Minister Poots at Newry GAA match
Sports Minister Edwin Poots became the first DUP politician to attend a Gaelic football match in an official capacity at Pairc Esler, Newry, on Wednesday...

Credit where it's due, mould-breaking is welcome, and not to be met with universal approbation from the DUP I'd venture. If he'd only loosen up a bit now on the Irish Language...
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

TacadoirArdMhacha

QuoteBoth will go through if Down win by a small margin. If UUJ win will Fermanagh not go through?

Yep your right - sorry read the table wrong.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

never kickt a ball

Down team tonight:                                     

Bernard Connell Drumgath
Ciarán McGovern Burren       Gary McArdle Annaclone         Martin Cole Rostrevor
Colm Murney Rostrevor        Liam Doyle Liatroim                 Kevin McGuigan Shamrocks
                        Dan Gordon Loughisland          Jack Lynch Drumgath
John Fegan Clonduff          Kevin McKernan Burren            Danny Hughes Saval
John Mc Areavey Tullylish    Cathal Magee Mayobridge        Ronan Sexton Mayobridge

J70

never kickt a ball

Quote from: J70 on January 16, 2008, 11:22:39 PM
Any chance of the Donegal line-up?

Not sure yet J70 but given the score:

G. Walsh, B. McGowan, M. Gallagher, N. Hegarty, D. Reid, M. Gavigan, J.J. Doherty, A. Molloy, B. Murray, J. McHugh, M. McHugh, J. McMullan, D. Bonner, T. Boyle, M. Boyle. Sub: B. Cunningham

J70

Quote from: never kickt a ball on January 16, 2008, 11:25:34 PM

Not sure yet J70 but given the score:

G. Walsh, B. McGowan, M. Gallagher, N. Hegarty, D. Reid, M. Gavigan, J.J. Doherty, A. Molloy, B. Murray, J. McHugh, M. McHugh, J. McMullan, D. Bonner, T. Boyle, M. Boyle. Sub: B. Cunningham

Them boys took the odd McKenna Cup hammering too!

How times change though - Barry Cunningham was the only substitute used that day, and he only came on when Brian Murray was injured. I think the Dubs only made one change that day as well - Bealin for Foran.

never kickt a ball

DUP sports minister Poots attends his first GAA game By Barry McCaffrey
17/01/08
DUP culture, arts and leisure minister Edwin Poots last night became the first senior DUP politician to attend a GAA match.
He unexpectedly appeared at a game between Down and Donegal in Newry.
However, he deliberately arrived 10 minutes after the game began to avoid being there while Amhrán na bhFiann (The Soldier's Song) was played."I had always indicated that I was not refusing to attend a GAA game – rather, it was a matter of finding a suitable time," Mr Poots said.
Of the playing of the Irish national anthem, he said: "While I recognise that the GAA has made strong efforts to improve that situation, with the likes of the English rugby team and other sports playing in places like Croke Park, there is still a challenge for them to prove to the Protestant community that things have changed.
"I am attending the game in my role as sports minister but as a unionist I would not feel comfortable standing for The Soldier's Song."
GAA president Nickey Brennan des-cribed Mr Poots's presence as "historic" and said: "This is a landmark occasion in the further development of community relations on the island of Ireland when a unionist minister is prepared to attend one of our games.
"For me this highlights the good standing of the Ulster Council GAA, who I know have developed an exceptionally positive relationship with Mr Poots. I look forward to him taking up my invitation to attend Croke Park for an event in the near future."
SDLP MLA and lifelong Down fan PJ Bradley said Mr Poots's attendance was "another positive step".
"I'd like to ask the minister to come to every game because Down won so well tonight," he said.

http://www.irishnews.com/page.asp?catid=540&subcatid=5860&sid=577714

When I first heard he was at the match I wondered how he would deal with Amhrán na bhFiann.

bennydorano

Was at the Queens v Antrim game last night, entertaining game.  Queens, although I wouldn't say a lot fitter than Antrim, were certainly more organised and had a well thought out gameplan, whereas Antrim seemed to fly by the seat of their pants.  Antrim dominated MF with McGourty & Joe Quinn in good form, although I thought that Queens tried to intentionally bypass MF for most of the game.  The game's best player was Antrims #11 (McCann?), who looks to be an ideal CHF, but maybe a bit too similar in style to MCGourty, he gave Joe OKane a torrid time in the first half, but to be fair to O'Kane he turned it around a bit in the second half.  Best for Queens, probably Courtney & McComiskey, with hounourable mentions to Aodan Gallgher and Kevin Kelly (who were both strangely/tactically substituted).  I though the AOR/Bernie Murray management combo definitely delivered tactically on the night.

Diet Coke

Quote from: bennydorano on January 17, 2008, 09:54:53 AM
Was at the Queens v Antrim game last night, entertaining game.  Queens, although I wouldn't say a lot fitter than Antrim, were certainly more organised and had a well thought out gameplan, whereas Antrim seemed to fly by the seat of their pants.  Antrim dominated MF with McGourty & Joe Quinn in good form, although I thought that Queens tried to intentionally bypass MF for most of the game.  The game's best player was Antrims #11 (McCann?), who looks to be an ideal CHF, but maybe a bit too similar in style to MCGourty, he gave Joe OKane a torrid time in the first half, but to be fair to O'Kane he turned it around a bit in the second half.  Best for Queens, probably Courtney & McComiskey, with hounourable mentions to Aodan Gallgher and Kevin Kelly (who were both strangely/tactically substituted).  I though the AOR/Bernie Murray management combo definitely delivered tactically on the night.

Now he wouldn't be a relative would he? ;)
Definately think he will get a call up to the county as we desperately need scoring forwards and he has a swet left foot, as for you Benny you have only a sweet tooth! ;)
Everybody knows there no sucha thing as Sanity Clause.

never kickt a ball

Donegal go Down to Mournemen
17 January 2008

Down moved within one win of a Dr. McKenna Cup semi-final after cruising to an emphatic 5-14 to 0-13 win over an experimental Donegal at Newry.

Three goals in the first half and two more in the second sealed Down's win and served to propel the Tir Chonaill men out of the competition. A blistering start by the home side saw them lead by 0-4 to 0-1 after just ten minutes of play.

Things got even better for Down thereafter with Jack Lynch running straight through a stationery Donegal defence to smack the ball into the net.

Down's second goal was scored by debutant John McAveavey and so was the third after being set up in each instance by Ronan Sexton.

Donegal only threatened Down's goal intermittently but a string of points from the accurate Kevin McMenamin and substitute Colm McFadden did help them cut the deficit to 0-7 to 3-7 at half-time.

Down were reduced to 14 men four minutes after the restart with McKernan getting his second yellow card, and scores from McFadden and Ryan Bradley had Donegal within seven points. However, points from McAveavey, Lynch, Daniel Hughes and Sexton consolidated Down's healthy advantage. Donegal's inexperience was showing at that stage with Bradley (who notched five second half frees) keeping them ticking over.

The hosts finished with a flourish and late goals from Packie Downey and Daniel Hughes added salt into Donegal's gaping wound.

Down - B Connell, C McGovern, G McArdle, M Cole, C Murney, L Doyle, K McGuigan, D Gordan 0-1, J Lynch 1-2, J Fegan 0-1, K McKernan 0-1, D Hughes 1-4, J McAreavey 2-3, C Magee 0-1, R Sexton 0-1. Subs - R Murtagh for Doyle, P Downey 1-0 for C Magee, P Turley for Lynch, J Clarke for J McAreavey, D O'Hanlon for Cole.

Donegal - M Boyle, M Maguire, M McGee, M McGowan, C Byrne, E Magee, S McGowan, J Freil, K Cassidy, D Waslh, F MgGlynn, O Doherty, Kevin McMenamin 0-5, R Bradley 0-5, J McLoone. Subs - S McHugh for Byrne, C McFadden 0-2 for M Maguire, K Rafferty for Freil, D Langan for O Doherty, D Boyle for McMenamin.

http://www.hoganstand.com/Donegal/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=87849