McKenna Cup 2024

Started by never kickt a ball, December 30, 2006, 02:22:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Redhandfan

So, our reign in the Dr McKenna Cup is over!  I thought it was a fair enough result in Ballyshannon and not the worst of games for the time of year.

Tyrone lost out today because we lost our way around midfield in the second half and also failed to stop McFadden.  Those two second half goal opportunities that were missed by Snowy O'Neill and Cathal McCarron were also critical.  McFadden was the only Donegal player who did us any major harm, winning just about every ball that came his way and having far too many free shots on goal.  Swift, who was having a good campaign up to today, was given quite a roasting.  I was very surprised that he was allowed to remain on McFadden for so long (sixty minutes, I think!).  Had either Cathal McCarron (Dromore) or Conor Gormley been available to mark McFadden today, I think we would have seen a different outcome to the game.

On the plus side, Enda McGinley's work-rate was outstanding for the second game in succession while Tommy McGuigan showed again that he has the talent and potential to earn a regular spot in the Tyrone attack for the much bigger games that lie ahead.  P.J. Quinn and Philly Jordan also played well in tough conditions while Cathal McCarron and Snowy O'Neill (despite fluffing goal chances) did enough in attack to at least keep their place in the squad for the National League.    

never kickt a ball

McKenna semis to be rescheduled
The McKenna Cup semi-finals are likely to be rescheduled to a midweek date due to the postponement of Sunday's Down v UUJ Group B clash in Newcastle. With the decider still on schedule for 26 January, the result of postponed game has a bearing on who goes through.
Down are due to play Donegal this Wednesday night, so their game with the students could go ahead this weekend, the original date for the semi-finals. It is now likely that they semis will take place on Wednesday 23 January.
Story from BBC SPORT:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/sport1/hi/northern_ireland/gaelic_games/7186690.stm

orangeman

That Kevin Cassidy must have a quare auld hard shoulder ! Either that or he had a block under his jumper ! ;) ;)

Our Nail Loney

Should the thread title not be changed to impossible five in a row??

Our Nail Loney

never kickt a ball

McKenna Cup clashes on Wednesday
At least one more Gaelic Life McKenna Cup semi-finalist will be known after Wednesday's games at Casement Park and Pairc Esler, Newry (2000 GMT). Antrim face Queen's in the final Section C game in Belfast with both teams on two points - two behind Cavan, who have completed their group games. Down face Donegal at Newry with the home side having lost their opener and Donegal on two points from two games. Leaders UUJ face Down in the last group B game on Saturday (1800). Donegal showed decent form when edging out Tyrone at Ballyshannon on Sunday. Down were beaten by the Red Hands in their first group match last week. Queen's beat an understrength Monaghan team in their opened but they were well-beaten by Cavan on Saturday night. Antrim, meanwhile, surprised Cavan in their opener last Wednesday but they went down by eight points against a strong Monaghan side on Sunday. If there is a winner at Casement Park, scoring differences will have to be calculated to decide who heads the group and earns a place in the semi-finals. It's possible that the second place team could in Section C could also progress if their scoring difference is better than Fermanagh in Section A.
Story from BBC SPORT:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/sport1/hi/northern_ireland/gaelic_games/7190216.stm

Victories for Donegal and Antrim expected. (or will Down win their first game in two years?)

whyarerefssobad

always look on the bright side

downredblack

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: downredblack on January 16, 2008, 08:12:11 PM
Anyone got any scores yet ?

You don't want to f**king know!!

Down 5-13 Donegal 0-13
Tbc....

TacadoirArdMhacha

QUB 0-16 Antrim 1-11

Reasonable enough game. Kevin Kelly at full forward for Queen's got a couple of decent scores. Paul McComiskey looked dangerous throughout and did well with the frees. Charlie Vernon also had a good game for Queens. Miceal O'Rourke was bright as well. Thought the whole game lacked a bit of intensity to be honest but the better side won I felt. Queens' probably should have had a couple of goals had they been more clinical in front of goal while the Antrim goal probably should have been saved by the keeper.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

the milkman

never kickt a ball

Antrim 1-11 0-16 Queen's
The students of Queen's University pulled off another win in the McKenna Cup by overturning a half-time deficit to beat Antrim by five points. Conor Murray scored Antrim's goal in the 22nd minute to help put Jody Gormley's side into a 1-7 to 0-7 advantage at the interval.
Murray finished Antrim's top scorer with 1-2 but his side added only four scores in the second half.
Paul McComiskey was top marksman for Queen's with six points.
Story from BBC SPORT:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/sport1/hi/northern_ireland/gaelic_games/7193079.stm