McKenna Cup 2024

Started by never kickt a ball, December 30, 2006, 02:22:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

corn02

So basically Tyrone were beat by Tyrone students. Surprised to see Cavanagh involved with Holmes, what happened there?

never kickt a ball

Quote from: corn02 on January 06, 2008, 10:41:25 PM
Surprised to see Cavanagh involved with Holmes, what happened there?
Did Holmes ever play for the Moy?

ONeill

So basically Tyrone were beat by Tyrone students. Surprised to see Cavanagh involved with Holmes, what happened there?

Mistook him for an apple-chomper.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

corn02

I think he did before going to Harps, could be very wrong though? Just you don't expect two people who will be on the same squad later in the year to be involved with each other. Of course it could of been minor.

never kickt a ball

Quote from: corn02 on January 06, 2008, 10:48:56 PM
I think he did before going to Harps, could be very wrong though? Just you don't expect two people who will be on the same squad later in the year to be involved with each other. Of course it could of been minor.

All I know is that they were reported by an umpire (probably from Derry ;D) who held his hand up for ages to capture the ref's attention. Both got yellow cards but Cavanagh's was his second.

nrico2006

Holmes did play for the Moy, I doubt that has anything to do with it though.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

uselessfootballer

I think it was simply a case that Holmes was sent on to quieten young Cavanagh who was allowed the run of the park in the 1st half. Cavanagh inexperience left him unable to deal sensibly with the close attention. A case of an old head, cancelling out young legs

never kickt a ball

Highlights from UUJ V Donegal including Colm Cavanagh's goals can be found on following clip from UTV: It is on the second page so fast forward to the end of the first page and allow the second clip to appear. then fast forward to 9.33 minutes:

http://u.tv/utvlive_stream/asx/20080104-hi.asx

never kickt a ball

New Armagh manager Peter McDonnell was not pleased by their comprehensive beating by Derry in the opening McKenna Cup game on Sunday but stresses the McKenna Cup is a type of trial for the season ahead. Hear the interview here:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/media/avdb/sport/other_sport/audio/143000/bb/143053_au_bb.ram

never kickt a ball

Highlights from Tyrone V Poly game and Derry V Armagh game from UTV on the link below. It is on the second page so fast forward to the end of the first page and allow the second clip to appear. Then fast forward to 8.00 minutes:

http://u.tv/utvlive_stream/asx/20080107-hi.asx

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: tyroneman on January 06, 2008, 06:00:06 PM
Strange start to the new year seeing Tyrone outplayed in the Mckenna.

Glad MH used this to blood new players though, about time we saw what is coming up through the ranks.Thought throughout the game Tyrone were very sluggish, students (obviously) much sharper. Few options for Tyrone players on the ball and the amount of good posession wasted through kicks to nowhere was sinfull. Thought Tyrone had too many players staying narrow, through the middle and failed to use the width of the field as much as they could have. Shooting too was very poor - no-one prepared to have a go from outside 25-30.

Positives:
-Snowy O'Neill: showed and fought for everything, was best Tyrone player on show.
-McCarron: looked comfortable enough at FB after a few first half jitters.
-Unfit, minus several players and with no MF in the first half we stayed in the game rightly.
-The Tyrone players on the UUJ side were immense. Mulgrew a class apart and bodes well for the NFL. There were six on the student team at one stage, almost like Tyrone c vs b.

Negatives:
-Fabian: not county class. Roasted all half and rightly taken off at HT.
-MF in first half, non existant.
-Tommy McGuigan: time and time again gave away posession under no pressure whatsoever. Expected much much more.

On the whole if we get 3-4 players who will compete for 1st 15 spots from the McKenna then happy days.

Thanks for that tyroneman, good to hear that Raymie Mulgrew is fulfulling some of that prodigious promise, not to mention the rest of the Poly lads. Generally promising overall too -- I would hope that Tommy Mc Guigan is suffering little more than ring-rustiness, if a little ominous for Fabian, who must be at the top of his fitness at this point.

A very satisfying exercise for MH I'd say, much more valuable than having the students on the Tyrone team at this point.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

tyroneman

Good exercise for MH alright - will be interesting to see what side he fileds for the Championship preview.

Just goes to show however how valuable Sean Cavanagh is to the team - need him driving through the middle to create space for others to move into. Brings a much needed (and completely missing on Sunday) dynamic to the team.

Mulgrew is a class act and if he continues the way hes going may well justify MHs assertion he will have an all star in 5 years (said in 2006)

Don't know much about Donnelly playing for the poly as I've been living away from Tyrone a good while now - is he worth a genuine go or was that just a one off performance?

Muzz

Surprised to see Cavanagh involved with Holmes, what happened there?

It was handbag stuff.  They were niggling at eachother then Colm tripped Holmes and pulled him down on top of him.  A little wrestling on the ground Colm got up got the pass won the free then the ref spotted the umpires now tired arm.  Referee was a joke.

Don't know where everyone is coming from regarding Mulgrew having a fine game.  He only really came into it late in the second half when obviously Gourley and alot of the Tyrones fitness levels were not matching his.  He did link some great play from half back to half forward and used the ball well.  He wont get the same space and time come Championship time. 

Alot of the other posts are spot on.  Fabian is too fast for his own good.  Andy Moran kept turning him and winning frees too handy.

Reilly, Hands and Swift didnt look out of place.  Martin and McNally didnt do themselves any favours but at least deserve another run out.

Redhandfan

Tyrone Team Announced
07 Jan 2008

Comórtas: Corn Mhic Chionaoith, Cluiche: Tír Eoghain v  An Dún,
Ionad: Páirc Uí hÉilí, an Omaigh, Dáta: 09-01-08

1 Pascal McConnell
2 PJ Quinn
3 Cathal McCarron
4 Marty Swift
5 John Gilmore
6 Dermot Carlin
7 Philip Jordan
8 Kelvin Hughes
9 Enda McGinley
10 Ryan Mellon   
11 Colm Donnelly
12 Aidan McCarron
13 Cathal McCarron
14 Tommy McGuigan
15 Paul Rouse

16 Jonathan Curran
17 Conor Gormley   
18 Ciaran Gourley         
19 David Harte
20 Colin Holmes
21 Colm McCullagh 
22 Mickey McGee
23 Kevin McNally
24 Conal Martin     
25 Owen Mulligan         
26 Fabian O'Neill
27 Martin Penrose
28 Gary Reilly

Damán Ó hAirmhí
Oifigeach Caidreamh Poiblí

ONeill

I hope Mickey continues to give the big guns time out. Plenty of time before we need to see the likes of Sean or Phillip. The likes of Fabian may have been trying too hard. The match v Down may see a more relaxed VX.

Word of warning - the Mourne county have employed, free of charge, an astute statistician, hand-written too.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.