McKenna Cup 2024

Started by never kickt a ball, December 30, 2006, 02:22:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

never kickt a ball

Donegal 1-12 UUJ 2-13
Friday, 4 January 2008

University of Ulster Jordanstown made an impressive start to the 2008 Gaelic Life Dr McKenna Cup by beating an experimental Donegal side at Ballybofey. Two goals in the space of three minutes from Tyrone's Colm Cavanagh inspired the Jordanstown students to a memorable win in freezing temperatures at MacCumhaill Park. Four points from Ciaran Donnelly helped UUJ to a 0-9 to 0-6 interval lead, but he also pushed missed a penalty. Donegal cut the gap to a point before Colm McFadden missed a gilt-edged goal chance. Cavanagh's brace followed and McFadden's late penalty was only a consolation score. Donegal were without a number of their regulars but could still call on the likes of captain Neil Gallagher, Brian Roper, Kevin McMenamin and McFadden. The reigning National League champions needed that experience against a team that their manager Brian McIver rates as "one of the top three university sides in the country." McIver's men got off to a solid enough start and led 0-3 to 0-1 thanks to points from McFadden, who bagged an early brace, and Naomh Brid clubman David Walsh. In between, John Boyle from Down registered UUJ's opening and the students soon found their rhythm by grabbing five points in a row, including a fisted effort from Mayo's Andy Moran, two from Donnelly and one each from Boyle and Brendan McKenna. UUJ may have snuck through for a goal as their lively play continued to light up a wintry evening. A foul on McMenamin allowed Ryan Bradley to stop the rot with a well-taken free, while a Stephen McHugh effort soon levelled the sides at 0-6 apiece. Despite Donnelly's penalty miss, UUJ ended the half on the up with a succession of points from the on form Donnelly (0-2) and Moran. Snow fell heavily for an eight-minute spell during the second half and Donegal seemed to adapt better with two points from Brian Roper and another from Owen Doherty helping the hosts cut the gap to a single point. The game was on a knife-edge with UUJ just holding onto a 0-10 to 0-9 lead when McFadden latched onto a through ball and had only the goalkeeper to beat but the left corner forward blazed wide and the students breathed a collective sigh of relief.
Their captain, Derry's Mark Lynch, thumped over an excellent point from wide out on the right to get them back on track and things then got even better for the UUJ youngsters, who are jointly managed by Adrian McGuckin, a member of McIver's own backroom staff. Two swift passing moves led to the clinching goals for Cavanagh, who fisted both efforts home from close range. With time running out, McFadden converted a penalty to reduce the arrears to 2-13 to 1-11 but there was no late surge from McIver's charges who could only tag on a final point through Roper.

Story from RTÉ Sport:
http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2008/0104/mckennacup.html

never kickt a ball

05 January 2008
The Antrim v QUB McKenna Cup Round 1 game at Casement Park on Saturday has been postponed due to a snow covered Casement Park.
The game will now be played on Wednesday 16th January, Casement at 8pm

http://antrim.gaa.ie/news/details/?id=643

jodyb

Never been to a game in Lurgan. Can anyone give me directions to the park for tomorrows game? Thanks in advance.

orangeman

Go off at Lurgan roundabout - take right up past ski slope to a T junction - take a left back in to the town - park is just past filling station on your RHS

BallyhaiseMan

Micheal Brides (St. Oliver Plunketts)
James Carolan (Lavey)
Alan Clarke (Kingscourt)
James Clarke (Killenkere)
Mark Cunningham (Swanlinbar)
Micheal Cunningham (Swanlinbar)
Gavin Doyle (Arva)
Rory Donohoe (Belturbet)
Keith Fannin (Drumgoon)
Austin Fitzpatrick (Killeshandra)
Anthony Forde (Cavan Geals)
Anthony Gaynor (Ballinagh)
Declan Gaffney (Crosserlough)
Colm Hannon (Drumgoon)
Mark Johnston (Cornafean)
Niall Madden (Gowna)
Lorcan Mulvey (Butlersbridge)
John McCabe (Munterconnaught)
Ryan McCormack (Kingscourt)
John McCutcheon (Cootehill)
Mark McKeever (Gowna)
James O'Reilly (Drung)
Finbar O'Reilly (Lacken)
Eddie O'Reilly (Mullahoran)
Padraic O'Reilly (Ballinagh)
Jason Reilly (Belturbet)
Martin Reilly (Killygarry)
Darren Rabbitte (Cavan Geals)
David Rooney (Bailieborough)

Cavan Panel for McKenna Cup

ONeill

Quote from: never kickt a ball on January 05, 2008, 12:16:01 PM
05 January 2008
The Antrim v QUB McKenna Cup Round 1 game at Casement Park on Saturday has been postponed due to a snow covered Casement Park.
The game will now be played on Wednesday 16th January, Casement at 8pm

http://antrim.gaa.ie/news/details/?id=643

FFS I was allowed to go to this too. Had bought a new hat an all.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Orior

Its raining pretty heavy now in Beal Feirste. I'd have thought that Casement would have been okay.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

orangeman

It's off and that's that !!!!!!!! Hope Utd get stuffed !!!  ;) ;)

never kickt a ball

QuoteTyrone v UUJ
UUJ are hoping the fact that holders Tyrone are putting out an experimental line-up could help them claim another win in the Gaelic Life McKenna Cup.  Red Hands boss Mickey Harte is using the competition to look at many of the county's emerging youngsters.  A student side has never progressed from the group stages but UUJ would be well placed if they could add to their opening win over Donegal. Sunday's Group B clash at Healy Park in Omagh has a 1400GMT throw-in.

Story from BBC SPORT:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/sport1/hi/northern_ireland/gaelic_games/7173375.stm

Should be an interesting clash tomorrow. Both Monaghan and Donegal weren't really up for it against well organised student opposition. Tyrone also have an experimental side out but I expect the "fit from the Championship" Dromore contingent to be firing on all cylinders in addition to Gourley. I'm looking forward to seeing the Killyclogher duo on the left and McNally will probably be given free taking responsibilities. With Enda probably coming out Mugsy will have to be at his best to marshall the inexperienced county forwards around him. Cathal McCarron did well at his home pitch when given a run out in last years competition and we may well see him. All the Tyrone players for UUJ, including Cavanagh, will really be up for this clash. I think they will find Tyrone more competitive. A draw? 

Carmen Stateside

never kickt a ball

QuoteFermanagh v St Mary's
The McKenna Cup opener at Lisnaskea will give Fermanagh boss Malachy O'Rourke the chance to try out new recruits to the panel (1400 GMT). Barry Mulrone, Paddy Mohan, Cathal McCaffrey, Ciaran Leonard, Niall Cassidy and Patrick Cadden are among the newcomers.  St Mary's are likely to be without Kevin Niblock and Barry McGoldrick because of injuries. However, Ballinderry's Michael McIver is set to start for the students.
Story from BBC SPORT:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/sport1/hi/northern_ireland/gaelic_games/7173399.stm

I expect Q101 will also be updating from this too.

redcard

Quote from: ONeill on January 05, 2008, 03:13:02 PM
Man Utd's on at same time.
Quote from: orangeman on January 05, 2008, 03:32:22 PM
It's off and that's that !!!!!!!! Hope Utd get stuffed !!!  ;) ;)

The louth FF? JP something....?  ;D