BBC News Report

Started by down6061689194, July 09, 2009, 07:02:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gnevin

Quote from: T Fearon on July 10, 2009, 11:59:33 AM
Good to see this, but the biggest threat to the uptake of Gaelic Games in these areas would be from unionist paramilitaries and other bigots.

As ziggy says could you imagine young lads training at Windsor Park wearing Celtic or GAA jersies?

Could you imagine 15/20 years ago lads being able too walk around the Glens with Hurls in hand with out fear .
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

thejuice

Quote from: thejuice on July 10, 2009, 10:54:20 AM
is there a link to this report online somewhere. 

anyone?
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

ziggysego

Quote from: fitzroyalty on July 09, 2009, 10:16:06 PM
Quote from: ziggysego on July 09, 2009, 08:34:58 PM
Saw that on the news tonight and was thinking it was fantastic to see. It's great bringing children in from East Belfast and showing them at the GAA isn't full of boogie-men. As for the comments about the Rangers and Linfields shirts, what sort of message would that be to send out if they were told not to wear them. In fact, I think it's great that they felt safe enough and their parents too, that they could wear them to Casement Park. Could the same be said the other way around?
I'd be equally annoyed at seeing a Rangers/NI top as I would a Man U, Celtic etc.
An NI top on some of the youngsters wouldn't be uncommon at our club, however even though these lads are Catholic not a word is said.

Normally I don't like seeing soccer tops in GAA grounds as a rule, but under the circumstances I would be prepared to be a little flexible.
Testing Accessibility

ziggysego

Quote from: thejuice on July 10, 2009, 12:33:11 PM
Quote from: thejuice on July 10, 2009, 10:54:20 AM
is there a link to this report online somewhere. 

anyone?

I looked last night for you. For some strange reason, the BBC don't put regional news on the BBC iPlayer. You maybe able to watch it via Windows Media Player at http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsline/. Watch the 6.30 news, however you'll only have until tonight.
Testing Accessibility

Iceberg

Quote from: Orior on July 09, 2009, 08:23:35 PM
Yes, this is a great initiative.

Makes a change from seeing Rangers and OWC taps pushing shopping trollies down the road piled high with wooden pallets. Generous of the local companies to donate the pallets during the global financial crisis.

I know, i be disgusted at this as well Orior.  The blue wooden pallets, known as CHEP pallets, can be exchanged for money down near Ballyclare, cant remember the name of the place though.  Instead, in recessionary times, some companies would rather give them to the loyalists to burn  ???
Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?

the colonel

Quote from: Gnevin on July 10, 2009, 12:18:58 PM
Good to see this, but the biggest threat to the uptake of Gaelic Games in these areas would be from unionist paramilitaries and other bigots.

As ziggy says could you imagine young lads training at Windsor Park wearing Celtic or GAA jersies?

Could you imagine 15/20 years ago lads being able too walk around the Glens with Hurls in hand with out fear .

you serious Gnevin?
the difference between success and failure is energy

thejuice

Quote from: ziggysego on July 10, 2009, 01:02:14 PM
I looked last night for you. For some strange reason, the BBC don't put regional news on the BBC iPlayer. You maybe able to watch it via Windows Media Player at http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsline/. Watch the 6.30 news, however you'll only have until tonight.

thanks Ziggy, that was interesting.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Tonto

In fact, I think it's great that they felt safe enough and their parents too, that they could wear them to Casement Park. Could the same be said the other way around?
Not meaning to equate the quasi-political Gaelic games to football, but if you mean would Gaelic shirts be welcome in Windsor/the Village, you could maybe ask the Antrim Camogie team or Jerome Quinn.

ziggysego

Quote from: Tonto on July 12, 2009, 04:32:35 PM
In fact, I think it's great that they felt safe enough and their parents too, that they could wear them to Casement Park. Could the same be said the other way around?
Not meaning to equate the quasi-political Gaelic games to football, but if you mean would Gaelic shirts be welcome in Windsor/the Village, you could maybe ask the Antrim Camogie team or Jerome Quinn.

Forgot about that and duly noted. Anyway, didn't Jerome have quite a bit of say about that and got 'punished' for it by the BBC?
Testing Accessibility

stibhan

Quote from: Tonto on July 12, 2009, 04:32:35 PM
Not meaning to equate the quasi-political Gaelic games to football

Gaelic games themselves aren't political, just as soccer isn't. The GAA may have slightly 'political' motives but these motives are nothing in comparison to the sectarian motives of the IFA.

glens73

Quote from: Gnevin on July 10, 2009, 12:18:58 PM

Have you ever been to the Glens?, I'd reckon not.