PuC and the Liam Miller Fundraiser

Started by Baile BrigĂ­n 2, July 18, 2018, 03:46:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoG2

Quote from: Ciarrai_thuaidh on November 06, 2018, 02:28:00 AM
Lads, it's fairly well known down around Cork  but Michael O'Flynn (one of the chief organisers of the event) was pushing this so strongly out of a lot of guilt. Both he and Liam Miller are from the same area around Ovens and Miller invested heavily in property with O'Flynn around the boom time..he lost big, like a lot of others. O'Flynn could afford to take the hit, but others not so much.

This added to well known awful financial management by a lot of Soccer players is the reason the family were left so short on Liam's death. There were all sorts of rumours, but from speaking to people I believe he didn't have any alochol or substance abuse problems and the issue above is the main reason for the all the fundraising.

Some of the begrudgery and horsesh*t posted in this thread when you look back at it makes me wonder what is wrong with some people. I'm just happy the right thing was done in the end and the event went well. Great to see so much being raised and the donation to the Jack O'Driscoll fund aswell. Jack is a 19 year old Footballer and Hurler who was paralysed in a freak accident earlier this year during the snowstorms. Great to see him and his family benefitting from this also.

You underestimate some people's want and need to be offended, it's insatiable. This thread is a rather sad snapshot of the modern (online) world.

imtommygunn

Quote from: JoG2 on November 06, 2018, 09:59:48 AM
Lads, it's fairly well known down around Cork  but Michael O'Flynn (one of the chief organisers of the event) was pushing this so strongly out of a lot of guilt. Both he and Liam Miller are from the same area around Ovens and Miller invested heavily in property with O'Flynn around the boom time..he lost big, like a lot of others. O'Flynn could afford to take the hit, but others not so much.

This added to well known awful financial management by a lot of Soccer players is the reason the family were left so short on Liam's death. There were all sorts of rumours, but from speaking to people I believe he didn't have any alochol or substance abuse problems and the issue above is the main reason for the all the fundraising.

Some of the begrudgery and horsesh*t posted in this thread when you look back at it makes me wonder what is wrong with some people. I'm just happy the right thing was done in the end and the event went well. Great to see so much being raised and the donation to the Jack O'Driscoll fund aswell. Jack is a 19 year old Footballer and Hurler who was paralysed in a freak accident earlier this year during the snowstorms. Great to see him and his family benefitting from this also.

You underestimate some people's want and need to be offended, it's insatiable. This thread is a rather sad snapshot of the modern (online) world.

100% this.

mup

Quote from: dublin7 on November 06, 2018, 08:23:12 AM
Quote from: mup on November 06, 2018, 07:56:52 AM
Quote from: Syferus on November 06, 2018, 03:39:24 AM

+1

There's an incredible disconnect between what even a top professional sportsperson earns and what they have at the end of their career because most are not prepared to manage those amounts of money responsibility and the lifestyle is almost by its nature expensive. Indeed most American professional basketball players are bankrupt within three years of retiring and they earn far more than Miller ever did.

That Liam Miller's family should suffer because he didn't make perfect financial decisions and that most if not all of any remaining wealth was spent trying to keep the man alive in the first place, is utterly cruel to me.

But for this forum cruelty masquerading as 'common sense' is par for the course.

Two great posts.
It's rare to see a well thought out, considered, reasonable post on this thread considering the verbal diarrhoea that's been thrown at Liam Miller and his family.  Maybe now all the "football experts" posting s**te about how much Liam Miller earned might back off.

I was really disappointed in the Tom Ryan's first real interview recently as director general of GAA. Like alot of posters on this thread he couldn't see how GAA does anything wrong. Didn't mention the annual fixture chaos or issues with onfield/off the field violence at club matches. What upsets him is that the negative publicity the GAA received for how they handled holding the Liam Miller testimonial in PuC.

I don't always agree with you on the football side of things but I'm with you on this one. Nothing but utter tripe being written.