Leinster Senior Football Championship 2019

Started by Junior Ex Laoistalk, October 11, 2018, 10:45:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brandyandPORT

You'd need to assess the runners from deep and how they were not dealt with, they seemed to cause the damage in creating the goal chances.

To be fair to John he picked Laois up at its lowest point, and lifted us back to division 2.

I'm not entirely sure if we can play Kingston and O'Carroll together, might be mad but they didn't compliment each other in the league final!! I do feel Kingston can produce more game changing moments than Evan.

Sunday for me was a bit worrying when looking at John's support team, to see a man on the line with Laois wearing an ear piece, communicating with management in the form of Brian Breen, this is of pure shock and horror. This is a man who was unable to get decisions right in the middle of the pitch when refereeing. To now see him in communication with our seniors, makes for apprehensive viewing 🙊

GAA-SMART

There is no question for me John is the right man to lead Laois for many years to come even if beaten by Derry- double league promotion and a Leinster Final in two years, id of snapped your hand of for it after the O Flatharta /Creedon fiascos and what followed. Meath were just better in the forwards than we were in the backs. Derry game will be tight but it is a hard to place to go against a team who has a relatively good record in the qualifiers. Here is hoping for a big big performance in two weeks.

Don Draper

Jesus I read a comments under a LaoisToday Facebook post. There are some absolute f**king retards in this county. We don't deserve someone like Sugrue, thats the pure truth of it.

O moore parklife

Quote from: brandyandPORT on June 11, 2019, 10:01:27 AM
You'd need to assess the runners from deep and how they were not dealt with, they seemed to cause the damage in creating the goal chances.

To be fair to John he picked Laois up at its lowest point, and lifted us back to division 2.

I'm not entirely sure if we can play Kingston and O'Carroll together, might be mad but they didn't compliment each other in the league final!! I do feel Kingston can produce more game changing moments than Evan.

Sunday for me was a bit worrying when looking at John's support team, to see a man on the line with Laois wearing an ear piece, communicating with management in the form of Brian Breen, this is of pure shock and horror. This is a man who was unable to get decisions right in the middle of the pitch when refereeing. To now see him in communication with our seniors, makes for apprehensive viewing 🙊

Ha ha even water boys getting stick some beauties in this county

High Fielder

People don't understand the bomb site he inherited Don. They see what suits their agenda and they expect far too much. Im sometimes amazed at the short sightedness of some people and their inability to understand the basics. It was obvious at a very early stage that Donie and Evan don't really play well together up top. Unfortunately, no other combination has been any better, so that lends itself to criticism. For the reasons discussed above, we will always have to t**ker and experiment because we don't have a natural fit in every position. Every other county at our level, and even some above it, have to do the same. Michael Murphy for instance can appear anywhere between midfield and full forward. With that in mind, perhaps it's time to give Evan a go in the middle. Good Fielder and distributor and as a nod to all the nay sayers, perhaps too good to be taken off altogether

Toomanygaels

Quote from: brandyandPORT on June 11, 2019, 10:01:27 AM

Attack the water boy. You should be ashamed of yourself. I would imagine Brian Breen has no act or part in picking or training the team. He is just their to be a help to the management in the huge work load that is involved in running a county team. What has the quality of his refereeing got to do with anything? They are a lot of bad referees out but I am sure they have other strengths.

GAA-SMART

Absplutely is bright- between what we ahve at senior- decent U20 team, Minors in the Semi finals of Leinster and a couple of good development squads with good people in charge of them. Hopefully we see the rewards soon

Hospital Pass

Breen job is logistics as far as I know. Can we blame him for the team looking a little lost on Sunday  ;D
On the O'Carroll and Donie selection issue, Evan is a confidence player and had a bad start, I would have persisted with him as some of our forwards are a little shot shy.
Donie is still our best forward, i'm guessing he was dropped for fitness or form issues. Donie probably needed this kick up the backside when he was 22 or 23 to reach his true potential.
I wouldn't be atall bit critical of Sugrue for making the call. He's trying to change the squad mentality.
I'd love to see Donie take this as motivation and kick on.

Helmut

Good post Higfielder.
Evan is definetely a confidence player and when hes good hes very good but when hes bad he's terrible and doesnt want to know. Might have been a bit unlucky coming off so early on Sunday not because he was playing well but because Paul Kingston was annoymous to at that stage. Something had to be done to change up the forward line. Just before he came off his man beat him for a ball and in a short run easily put 20-25 yards between them. It was probably what decided it.
As for Donnie at this age he more than likely never will reach the potential or peak fitness he could of had. Saying that for me at least he is our best player by a mile. His skill and more importantly at times his calmness and composure on the ball is at another level to most of the rest of the team.
To say the difference between Laois and meath was they had better attackers than our defenders doesnt sit well by me. I think on average there was nothing much between the teams. We just got our strategy completely wrong. As others had said for a lot of the game we owned the ball but as has been the problem under a lot of Sugrue's tenure we are to negative and pedestrain. I was a little bit disappointed by some of the decisions coming from the line. With being 7-8 points down Ross was the only player in their half at times. I think if we had been more positive and pushed on, especially in the first half when we owned the ball the game was there for us. Why for instance when we had nothing to lose was Donnie or Quigley not pushed up for some high balls into the box.
With the way we play we struggle to get decent scores on average and even an okay team will have a chance to beat us.
My only hope against Derry is if we play a more adventerous type of game.

Laois Rising

Going through the qualifiers may actually prove an easier route to the super 8s than if we were to enter the competition as a provincial loser. With teams like monaghan, Tyrone and Mayo coming through the back door you could find yourself with a very difficult round four qualifier to make it into super 8. Going out now and if we can get past Derry and gain a favourable round 3 draw would see us having to face Cavan, Cork, Meath or Roscommon (if provincial finals go to form) to make the Super 8s. That should be the motivation for this Laois team. Bounce back in Owenbeg Saturday week and everything still to play for.

I think Sugru learned a lot from the loss to Westmeath in the Division 3 final and that was evident in the quarter-final encounter. I would expect him to have learned more about his team after the Meath game. If they can build upon this experience there is no reason why we cannot go to Derry and look to claim an away win in an Ulster ground which would be a great scalp. Granted it won't be easy as Derry have momentum with a hugely impressive win the last day out.   

Tony

There's a new thread now for the qualifiers Laois Rising :). Let's continue on there, the Leinster Championship is sadly over for us this year.