Laois 2017 - NHL and Leinster SHC

Started by G@@, October 14, 2016, 04:15:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hurlingmad

Quote from: Tobias on January 05, 2017, 03:10:29 PM
Quote from: oneflewoverthecuckoonest on January 05, 2017, 01:37:15 PM
if that is the back 6 for laois then we are heading for the Christy ring.......not one would get near a top 8 inter county side.

with retirements we are lacking big time in defence. yes healy and a few others will return, the lack of proper defenders amongst the youth is a serious worry. could we perhaps try out cha at centre back and build a solid spine. the likes of bergin, mullaney and carroll are not up to senior inter county standard and never will be. if we have little option but to use them for now, it highlights the weakness in our set up.

I think this is a bit harsh on those lads, they are young and have a chance of developing, I remember Joe Fitz never played county minor and didn't become a good senior hurler overnight. We do need experience in defence and I'd imagine Darren Maher Matthew Whelan and Cahir Healy will be there to provide that. Dwayne Palmer is likely to be corner back. I think Tom Delaney should be given a chance this yr in the league to see if he's up to it. Paddy Whelans best position might well be at half back too. we need to find paddy Purcell a good partner in midfield, is Zane Keenan on the panel?. I would totally disagree with moving our best player and best forward to centre back. We need Cha both winning ball and scoring in the half forward line. Picky, Foyle, Scully, King, Campion,and Willie Dunphy are 6 established guys that are all good club hurlers but they need to prove themselves at County level, Laois need them to drive on this year. It will be interesting to see how Liam O Connell gets on this year and whether he will play in defence or attack, personally I would prob play him at half back. Ciaran Collier, Colm Stapleton, John Lennon and Ben Conroy are other useful options if available.
I presume Mark Kavanagh won't be available for a few months yet.
There are a few good young lads coming through but maybe they should be left with the 21s for one year, Aaron Dunphy, Lee Cleere, Robbie Phelan, Stephen Phelan, Conor Phelan, Joe Geaney off the top of my head.

Joe Fitz is a loss, lovely guy and was very dedicated through the years while playing for laois, Aaron Dunphy can only improve and even as he is he can win balls from puckouts against experienced seniors for bk , either way i cannot wait for sunday as these long nights have me bored to death

redsetanta

An interesting selection for Sunday. Fleming in goals and sone ew faces in the backs.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

redsetanta

KELLY NAMES TEAM FOR WALSH CUP CLASH

Laois Senior Hurling manager Eamonn Kelly has announced his starting 15 for Sunday's Walsh Cup Round 1 game with NUIG at 2pm in Rathdowney.

1. Eoin Fleming (Borris-in-Ossory-Kilcotton)

2. Eoin Doyle (Clough Ballacolla)

3. Darren Maher (Clough Ballacolla)

4. Podge Lawlor (Ballinakill)

5. Ryan Mullaney (Castletown)

6. Leigh Bergin (Shanahoe)

7. Sean Downey (Ballinakill)

8. Paddy Whelan (Borris-in-Ossory-Kilcotton)

9. Cian Taylor (Portlaoise)

10. Eanna Lyons (Ballyfin)

11. Ben Conroy (Slieve Bloom)

12. PJ Scully (Borris-in-Ossory-Kilcotton)

13. Willie Dunphy (Clough Ballacolla)

14. Neil Foyle (Borris-in-Ossory-Kilcotton)

15. Ross King (Rathdowney Errill)
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

burdizzo

Well, after a dire first 25 minutes, after which they trailed by 0-11 to 0-2, Laois actually played OK. Ben Conroy's goal, after a good run, just before half time, probably laid the foundation, but second half goals from Willie Dunphy and Ross King turned it around. Mind you, NUIG aren't exactly star-studded, so you'd want to be beating them.
For most of the first half, the only Laois player to catch the eye was Paddy Purcell, but once Ryan Mullaney and Leigh Bergin came into it, things improved. In the second half, then, Scully, and King hit form a bit, but Willie Dunphy showed some real good touches. Young Corby had a nightmare in the first half, but was unlucky not to get a goal in the second, while Neil Foyle was way off the pace. Ben Conroy played pretty well, and Sean Downey showed some potential. However, to revert to a sweeper in the second half was a little discouraging.

beano

Yeh agree with most of that, we were way off the pace in first half and lacked direction and any sort of a plan. However after the first goal we changed and suddenly looked like a team and played some decent stuff. The pleasing thing was to see leaders in the team stand up and be counted, Purcell , king, Dunphy and scully along with Mullaney. After a poor first half I thought Eanna Lyons came into it along with Downey. A good days work, lots to improve on in terms of skill and fitness.

blueandwhite1

Can't fault the character and work rate once we got going. NUIG was filled with Galway and Clare lads and they could hurl. Looked sharp enough and their age profile and ours was about the same. Was impressed with how we grew into it given how the shape of the team is so different these days. Leigh Bergin, Ryan Mullaney, Paddy Purcell, PJ Scully, Roddy King stood up and you can see these lads being the heart of the team for years to come. They are all still really young though as were most of those around them and in reality there are only a few 'big' names to come back in. Eanna Lyons caught some great balls when we were under pressure and looks a great half forward prospect.

redsetanta

Wasn't there today lads but sounds like it was a decent performance in the end and sound like ye were reasonably impressed by what you saw. Brilliant to hear the younger lads did well in the end. No doubt there's talent there. It is only the Walsh Cup and it's early in the year but it would be great to see these lads playing in Croke Park. It would do much for hurling in the county.

blueandwhite1

Does anyone know for sure who was missing yesterday that is definitely involved this year?

Picky, Cha, Cahir?, Darren Maher, Dwayne Palmer, Mark Kavanagh, Colm Stapleton, Enda Rowland, Matthew Whelan, John Lennon. I'm guessing all of these will be back at some point following colleges or injury. Anyone else? Is Joe Campion back? I am guessing Zane is a no.

I think there is a couple of really tough years coming up and that we will have to be very patient. The team has transformed completely since 2015 and will likely struggle physically against established teams. Plenty of skillful hurlers committing so hopefully they can stay together for a few years to build a platform for the future.

Don Draper

Quote from: blueandwhite1 on January 09, 2017, 09:44:38 AM
Does anyone know for sure who was missing yesterday that is definitely involved this year?

Picky, Cha, Cahir?, Darren Maher, Dwayne Palmer, Mark Kavanagh, Colm Stapleton, Enda Rowland, Matthew Whelan, John Lennon. I'm guessing all of these will be back at some point following colleges or injury. Anyone else? Is Joe Campion back? I am guessing Zane is a no.

I think there is a couple of really tough years coming up and that we will have to be very patient. The team has transformed completely since 2015 and will likely struggle physically against established teams. Plenty of skillful hurlers committing so hopefully they can stay together for a few years to build a platform for the future.
Problem is, in those few tough years that we're due, we're asking young hurlers to carry the brunt of it until they mature. By the time they mature, they may very well be sick of the slog and slip off, or have their confidence irretrievably shattered from the experience. We've seen this before sadly.

burdizzo

Quote from: blueandwhite1 on January 09, 2017, 09:44:38 AM

On the programme Darren Maher was listed to start at full back, and Matthew Whelan was listed in the subs. Neither appeared, but I guess they will be involved. Also listed to start was Cian Taylor, but he didn't appear, either.
Yes, of those that played yesterday, was there anyone over 23 or 24, I wonder?

burdizzo

Those three weren't listed on the programme. Are you saying they've all committed for the year?

Don Draper

redsetanta

I thought Zane might have come back into the fold as he was out lst year. That was the pattern the last few years.
Pity about Joe is right but it's a big undertaking and one that young lads aren't as happy to make anymore. Is the door open for later in the year or are they out completely?

redsetanta

I see where picky was the pick of the bunch for Carlow IT scoring 1-07. Cha chipped in with a few points as well. Rowland, Palmer and Young playing also.

Tadgh Doran is someone I thought would be an addition to the county team. What's the story there if any?

hurlingmad

Quote from: redsetanta on January 10, 2017, 09:50:24 AM
I see where picky was the pick of the bunch for Carlow IT scoring 1-07. Cha chipped in with a few points as well. Rowland, Palmer and Young playing also.

Tadgh Doran is someone I thought would be an addition to the county team. What's the story there if any?
Tadgh Doran being overlooked is simply beyond me, solid shot stopper and not as prone to blunders as reilly, no critism to reilly of course as i understand the massive effort they have put in the last few years under cheddar