Allianz Hurling League 2016

Started by Mossy Bruce, January 11, 2016, 06:35:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Unlaoised

Quote from: finbar o tool on February 10, 2016, 06:37:36 PM
i will be more interested in HOW they play rather than who plays or who plays where.
against Dublin we had 2 in the full forward line and an extra midfielder. and yet time seemed to stand still when Dublin had the ball, they had all the time in the world to look up and pick out a team mate who had made a run into space for a pass. no pressure from our lads whatsoever, 3rd midfielder had no impact. similar craic to last year.
we must respect this Kerry team for sure, but we need not fear them. i hope cheddar goes 15 on 15 Sunday and takes this Kerry team head on. if we dont, i think we'll be in trouble, especially without the likes of Willie and Zane to pick off long range points.

Nail on the head here we must go 15 v 15 as we lack the long range point scorers bar Cha and if the weather is as bad as its suppose to be even he could struggle Sunday from distance...

I'd much rather have Foyle in at 14 I hope its not a case of he ends up there late in the day as we try to scramble a goal...

Looking forward to Sunday but believe me when I say this Kerry team is decent they have played Limerick, Cork, Clare and Waterford allready this year and have scored well in some of those game 0-18  against Limerick and 0-18 against Cork only loosing by five

They have beaten teams like Antrim Westmeath and Carlow when it mattered last year....

I think we could struggle Sunday!
LAOIS ABÚ

Ogie

I'm of the same view as a few others here, I'm actually quiet nervous about Sunday, Kerry have played top quality teams this year so far to get up to pace and will be hugely up for this as it is their chance to survive in 1b!
Our new team have to settle quickly, I do believe Foyle can hurl well and distribute the ball brilliantly from 6 but I'm disappointed not to see him given the chance to lead out attack at 14 or 11,

As said result is all that matters Sunday

redsetanta

I read an article about young players to watch out for in Div 1b this year and Leigh Bergin was one of them. He didn't play against Dublin so will he be involved on Sunday? Is he training away with the panel?
I assume everyone being fit he would be challenging with Mullaney for a half back slot.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

seafoid

I think Galway will bate Cork. I might go along to see it.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

burdizzo

Quote from: redsetanta on February 12, 2016, 10:49:49 AM
I read an article about young players to watch out for in Div 1b this year and Leigh Bergin was one of them. He didn't play against Dublin so will he be involved on Sunday? Is he training away with the panel?
I assume everyone being fit he would be challenging with Mullaney for a half back slot.

I'm pretty sure Leigh Bergin played against Dublin. I must admit, I arrived just on time, so all the team sheets were gone, but I thought he was number 18? And taken off in the second half? He didn't seem to set the world on fire, but he got a few pucks. I'd prefer Mullaney, to be honest.

redsetanta

Yeh,just checked there and Bergin did start half back against Dublin. Was late getting in myself and didn't know who it was.

He was a very good minor though so hopefully he continues to improve at senior level. Still very young.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

burdizzo

I see he's starting half-back against Kerry, which surprised me a bit. No Keenan or Hyland yet, either, and Foyle in his new centre-back place. Cha at full forward, though I'd imagine he'll drift out a bit. It's a very young team - I just hope they can click for Kerry. It'll be close enough, I fear.

redsetanta

Palmer will hardly start in the corner either. Can see alot of switches

finbar o tool

Quote from: redsetanta on February 13, 2016, 11:45:10 AM
Palmer will hardly start in the corner either. Can see alot of switches

Yea when i saw Palmer down as corner forward, my first thought was, he's the 3rd midfielder....
An amateur requires a personal commitment that money cannot buy

redsetanta

I think Palmer played corner back for Carlow IT in Fitzgibbon.

Won't be 15 v15 anyhow. The main thing is the win and momentum for Offaly game next week.

TheGreatGame

Taken from hoganstand.com:

Laois (HL v Kerry) – Enda Rowland; Oisin Carroll, Darren Maher, Cahir Healy; Leigh Bergin, Neil Foyle, Ryan Mullaney; Matthew Whelan, Brendan Reddin; Ciaran Collier, Stephen Maher, Patrick Purcell; Dwane Palmer, Charlie Dwyer, PJ Scully.

I'm really looking forward to seeing how the new guys get on.  It would be nice to see Hyland and Keenan togged out in case they are needed.  It's a big day for the u21's and others that are getting their chance such as Oisin Carroll, really hoping it goes well for these guys in particular.

redsetanta

Kerry were very good today but it's a disaster for Laois hurling. Cha gone now for Offaly game who put in a credible performance against Clare today.
Very hard to see a win against Offaly now.

burdizzo

Sums it up well enough.
Hyland and Keenan can't be back soon enough.

Ogie

Worst performance from a Laois team in a long long time, this was set up for this and if we knew it management should have known it and guarded against it and have attitudes and performances right for today
A lot of the new lads not up to standard and never will be, but I thought management were shocking today, even their body language, especially in second half when it was slipping away from us
How they looked at Dwane Palmer, Ryan Mullaney, Oisin Carroll, Ben Reddin, Picky, for so long was crazy, why not bring in Tom Delaney early?? Taking off Matthew??

This was a huge game to win, to have a successfully year we needed to win this game, the Offaly game and beat Kerry again in Leinster quarter final that's it, target those 3 games

Credit to Kerry they hurled brilliantly, long year ahead now, back at square one

finbar o tool

Firstly, €15 to get in and see that??!

That was disgraceful from Laois today. To go out and play so defensively against Kerry is just shocking. Cheddar has no guts in him whatsoever. I hope this is his last year. I have some small bit of sympathy for the players, they obviously aren't getting coached very well and the set up is just sad, sad that that's the best players we have in Laois and sad that cheddar thinks he has to play 2 in the full forward line, bring back an extra man, and have no plan on how to get ball into that 2 man full forward line, against Kerry!... Its the same shite every year, we are so predictable its a joke.
A half-fit Keenan or Hyland would be better than most of those forwards today. But anyone who thinks the 2 boys are going to come back in and save the day are sorely mistaken! Not with that set up.
Taking off Matt Whelan and leaving the likes of Carroll and Palmer on the pitch, no Tom Delaney until almost forced to use him with 5mins left?
Cheddar hasnt a clue. A sad sad day.
An amateur requires a personal commitment that money cannot buy