Excel Questions

Started by magickingdom, February 21, 2008, 12:29:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Baloney

Chaps,

How do I format cells to report data to a given number of significant figures?

The user will input data into unprotected cells and the results of the formula will be reported in protected cells i.e. 6 significant figures in the results cells. At the minute trailing zeroes are being dropped from my results.

seafoid

Quote from: magickingdom on February 21, 2008, 12:29:11 PM
anyone know if its possible to change a column of negitive numbers (about 800 numbers)  into positive numbers? while i'm at it, is it possible to insert a blank line between each number (ie every other row is blank), is there any way of doing this without doing it line by line? thx for any help...

do you work for AIB?

Hardy

Quote from: Tony Baloney on May 05, 2010, 02:51:40 PM
Chaps,

The user will input data into unprotected cells and the results of the formula will be reported in protected cells i.e. 6 significant figures in the results cells. At the minute trailing zeroes are being dropped from my results.

Format - Cells - Number - Number - Decimal Places

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Hardy on May 05, 2010, 03:13:18 PM
Chaps,

Not as simple as that. The piece I neglected to mention is that the number of decimal places will vary depending on the input data i.e. if I put 0.455410 in cell A1 I need that to dynamically carry through into various other cells. However on occasion someone may need to enter 0.455 into that cell.

What I'm really looking at is something "where number of signficant figures in A1 = 2, 3, 4, 5, or 6 then number of signficant figures in B1, C1... etc. must equal 2, 3, 4, 5 or 6"

thebigfella

Quote from: Tony Baloney on May 05, 2010, 03:56:05 PM
Chaps,

Not as simple as that. The piece I neglected to mention is that the number of decimal places will vary depending on the input data i.e. if I put 0.455410 in cell A1 I need that to dynamically carry through into various other cells. However on occasion someone may need to enter 0.455 into that cell.

What I'm really looking at is something "where number of signficant figures in A1 = 2, 3, 4, 5, or 6 then number of signficant figures in B1, C1... etc. must equal 2, 3, 4, 5 or 6"

why not just format all cells (A1, B1, C1 ......) to 6 decimal places? then it's enforced throughout your worksheet/book?

Tony Baloney

Quote from: thebigfella on May 05, 2010, 04:37:52 PM
Chaps,

why not just format all cells (A1, B1, C1 ......) to 6 decimal places? then it's enforced throughout your worksheet/book?
I'm not explaining myself very well. I want it to be dynamic not static number of sig figs. If someone inputs data to 3 or 4 or 5 or 6 sig figs I want the other linked, protected cells displaying the results to report the results to the same number of sig figs. Would a length formula work?

Hardy

If I'm understanding you correctly, the format Number-General should do that - preserve whatever number of decimal places you enter.

magickingdom

Quote from: seafoid on May 05, 2010, 03:08:43 PM
Quote from: magickingdom on February 21, 2008, 12:29:11 PM
anyone know if its possible to change a column of negitive numbers (about 800 numbers)  into positive numbers? while i'm at it, is it possible to insert a blank line between each number (ie every other row is blank), is there any way of doing this without doing it line by line? thx for any help...

do you work for AIB?

you could say that with the size of a mortgage i have with them   ;)

passedit

Quote from: Hardy on May 05, 2010, 07:53:25 PM
If I'm understanding you correctly, the format Number-General should do that - preserve whatever number of decimal places you enter.

except that he wants to carry trailing zeroes?????????
Don't Panic

Doogie Browser

if you are doing a spreadsheet and you have a column with current values and you need to create a new column with for example 10% added BUT when the new 10% extra column is created I want to delete the current price.  However when I do this the new field created goes back to zero ???

Hardy

Copy and paste the new column as values, rather than formulas, before deleting the original price column.

Copy
Paste Special
Values

Hardy

Quote from: Tony Baloney on May 05, 2010, 05:42:21 PM
Quote from: thebigfella on May 05, 2010, 04:37:52 PM
Chaps,

I'm not explaining myself very well. I want it to be dynamic not static number of sig figs. If someone inputs data to 3 or 4 or 5 or 6 sig figs I want the other linked, protected cells displaying the results to report the results to the same number of sig figs. Would a length formula work?

Tony, did you get sorted out with that?

If the Number-General format is not what you're after, the only way I can think of to do it is convert the number to text and parse the text by the position of the decimal point. Of course, then you're left with text. If you need to convert it back to numbers for calculations, then the formatting will be lost again.

Doogie Browser

Dougal

im having trouble with decimal points,they keep coming up as euro signs,how can i change that?
Fcuk you I won't do what ya tell me!!!

Mario

Quote from: Dougal on May 24, 2010, 09:12:22 PM
im having trouble with decimal points,they keep coming up as euro signs,how can i change that?
Right click, format cells, change it to number as opposed to currency.