Patient caregiver stealing food from patient.

Started by Puckoon, January 24, 2011, 05:03:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Puckoon

Jesus I know there are some reprehensible actions going on world wide recently - but this one has to take the biscuit (if you'll pardon the pun) in my opinion.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-12264415

Carer ate food meant for patient with Alzheimer'sClick to play
Click to play

AdvertisementPatricia Young ate food intended for Mrs McCluskey
Northern Ireland's South-Eastern Health Trust has apologised after a care assistant admitted abusing a 70-year-old woman with Alzheimer's Disease.

The family of Ivy McCluskey, who were worried about her dwindling weight, secretly recorded Patricia Young eating food meant for her patient.

Mrs McCluskey died 12 weeks after Young stopped caring for her.

The 54-year-old of Mandeville Avenue in Lisburn, who has admitted two counts of abuse, will be sentenced next month.

The secretly recorded footage has been obtained by BBC Radio Ulster's Stephen Nolan Show.

Mrs McCluskey's daughters have described how their mother rapidly lost weight in the weeks before her death.

"We were really baffled. Mummy was declinling, losing all this weight, but we did not know why," Mandy said.

"At night, when she was put down to bed, her belly was rumbling. She was actually starving with hunger."

Diane said she was feeling "an awful amount of guilt" about what happened to her mother.

"Even though you have the carers in there to take the pressure off, then you're feeling we should have done it all ourselves and then we wouldn't have to live with this."

The South-Eastern Trust has said it is sorry for the unacceptable standard of care received by Mrs McCluskey.

A spokesperson added that as soon as they became aware of problems, they took immediate steps to ensure Mrs McCluskey's safety.

fitzroyalty

Heard it on radio this morning, had to switch it over. Sickening.

The Iceman

Very sad.
There are some great caregivers out there and people who are just naturally gifted. There is a tendency as in many jobs to let complacency set in and the care giver becomes detached from the patient and forgets they are actually a person, regardless of their illness or state.
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

armaghniac

Modern technology can be put to good use in these situations, where problems are suspected.
Without the camera it may have been hard to catch this *****
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

pintsofguinness

Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

beer baron

STREET FIGHTER

What the hell is the world coming too.

Seems mad.

Could there be more to it?

Big Puff

That is seriously sick. Its like something you would see in Corrie.

Minder

"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

ziggysego

Shocking. In this day and age, it's amazing that someone could get away with it for so long. I hope this woman gets the full force of a law against her.
Testing Accessibility

Orior

Why would a 54 year-old woman do such a thing?

Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Puckoon

You'd like to think it was to make ends meet, or they couldnt afford food at home, or any other reason other than the one that is staring me in the face. She's a reprehensible **** of a woman. Its such a nasty thing to do to an ailing senior citizen in your care.

Banana Man

Did you see the CCTV footage on the BBC website? she just sat stuffing her face then when she didn't finish it she threw it out!!! Still didn't the poor old woman a bite, absolutley disgusting. She needs starved for a f**king month then forced to walk 20 miles a day until she dies from the hunger, a tr**p

Minder

Quote from: ziggysego on January 24, 2011, 11:05:29 PM
Shocking. In this day and age, it's amazing that someone could get away with it for so long. I hope this woman gets the full force of a law against her.

Anyone in particular Ziggy?  :P

Sharia, Sods, or maybe LA Law...........
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

theskull1

It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera