Previous topic - Next topic

manfromdelmonte

Would love to see Jim in charge of Wicklow or Leitrim

Orchard park

He would leave them better than he found them anyways

Syferus

Quote from: Orchard park on September 18, 2017, 10:49:43 PM

If you knew Leitrim you might think differently on that one.

RadioGAAGAA

For those saying money isn't a problem and that this is a non-issue - then I assume you'd agree the Dublin county board would have no objection to giving a load of it back to central council to redistribute?
i usse an speelchekor

Orchard park

So gavin wouldn't improve leitrim football if he went at it for 3 years..

If you knew football you wouldn't say that,

Or do you still think it's all about money

TheGreatest

:D

Enjoy the winter lads.

Greatest team of all time. Wont change my mind.

Be a long winter for some of you.

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: Orchard park on September 19, 2017, 08:44:19 AM
So gavin wouldn't improve leitrim football if he went at it for 3 years..

If you knew football you wouldn't say that,

Or do you still think it's all about money

Are you trying to be funny
He would have zero impact on a small county
He has a player population the same as the whole of Ulster combined
And unlimited financial resources

Maybe if he got them all new Toyota cars and SuperValu indorsement deals he might get up a division tops

Bit of reality here please
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: Syferus on September 18, 2017, 11:09:56 PM
Quote from: Orchard park on September 18, 2017, 10:49:43 PM

If you knew Leitrim you might think differently on that one.

He would their county board with a bit more debt anyway

T Fearon

Jim Gavin is the ideal man to rescue Ryanair as well.O'Leary out!

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: T Fearon on September 19, 2017, 10:29:48 AM
Jim Gavin is the ideal man to rescue Ryanair as well.O'Leary out!

Now there's a thought, he works in the aviation industry as well

Seems that O'Leary's getting all his karma back now in one week

magpie seanie

Quote from: Dinny Breen on September 18, 2017, 06:49:11 PM
Amazes me how some people just don't know or don't want to know how talent identity, talent development, elite development and elite preparation works in sport. Sport is a multi-billion euro industry, if winning is somehow just left to culture and wanting it more then someone somewhere is wasting an awful lot money .

Well what are Mayo doing that no one else is doing? Surely Mayo do not have greater resources or playing numbers that Kildare or Meath? And they've drawn twice and lost by a point 2 times in the last 4 years with Dublin, i.e. they're not only competitive an odd day, they're able to match Dublin all the time.

You do have a point to a degree but only to a degree. In the end only 15 players are on the field. If it was 30 a side (on a pitch twice the size, indulge me for the sake of argument!!!) Dublin would win 10 in a row, or more. They might have 40-50 players that are intercounty standard but all you need is 25.

Rossfan

But on the law of averages Dublin's 25 will be better than the rest.
Their 21 were better than Mayowestros' on Sunday once again.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

TheGreatest

Yeah and Tony McEntee is with Mayo for the love of the game. Give me a break, they spend the most on Senior football preparations and they have and spend so much money they can afford to throw away expensive GPS units.

Anyway, Wolves don't lose sleep over the opinion of sheep.

blast05

Quote from: TheGreatest on September 19, 2017, 12:00:35 PM
Yeah and Tony McEntee is with Mayo for the love of the game. Give me a break, they spend the most on Senior football preparations and they have and spend so much money they can afford to throw away expensive GPS units.

Anyway, Wolves don't lose sleep over the opinion of sheep.

Can you send me a link to the Dublin accounts that gives a break down in their spend ? .... its freely available for Mayo.
Yes, Mayo spent more in 2016 (presuming the unpublished Dubs accounts are believable) albeit ~€580K was on travel expenses. Dubs could only have spent a small fraction of that on travel money (but of course i can't check to confirm)...... and yee didn't have a junior team in an All-Ireland final, nor U-21's getting to and winning that final, nor hotel expenses for the many trips to Dublin, etc, etc

Dinny Breen

Quote from: magpie seanie on September 19, 2017, 11:22:22 AM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on September 18, 2017, 06:49:11 PM
Amazes me how some people just don't know or don't want to know how talent identity, talent development, elite development and elite preparation works in sport. Sport is a multi-billion euro industry, if winning is somehow just left to culture and wanting it more then someone somewhere is wasting an awful lot money .

Well what are Mayo doing that no one else is doing? Surely Mayo do not have greater resources or playing numbers that Kildare or Meath? And they've drawn twice and lost by a point 2 times in the last 4 years with Dublin, i.e. they're not only competitive an odd day, they're able to match Dublin all the time.

You do have a point to a degree but only to a degree. In the end only 15 players are on the field. If it was 30 a side (on a pitch twice the size, indulge me for the sake of argument!!!) Dublin would win 10 in a row, or more. They might have 40-50 players that are intercounty standard but all you need is 25.

Firstly I think it's important to stop looking at Dublin "only" won by a point, whether it's one point or 20 points Dublin have still won and will keep winning. Dublin are not outcome orientated, it's becoming a cliche but they are very much process orientated. I think these 1 point defeats are giving people false hope and "what if" scenarios that never get applied to the winners. When Dublin start losing successive games by a point I will have hope. And remember next year if the get caught out in the Super 8 they will still have a 2nd chance.

To address your question, why have Mayo succeeded in being competitive where Kildare/Meath your examples have not.  The simple answer is Mayo play in a Province where it's possible to win one game and find yourself in the last 12 so when it comes to planning etc that helps, it's another GAA inequality, this time in Connacht's favour. Mayo have also invested heavily in elite preparation, McEntee, Solan, Buckley, Brosnihan, Horan etc also they have that elite culture for years as developed by James Horan who used Cian O'Neill Kieran Shannon among others. They spent well on physical, technical, tactical and mental coaches. Kildare and Meath until recently were shambles, Kildare because we had no money and Meath through poor managerial appointments and poor support from the County Boards.  Through this period Mayo have retained Division 1 status, a massive advantage over Kildare/Meath (thanks Jason), this helps develop players, they also have an experienced leadership group led by Moran and Higgins. So currently Mayo have an elite culture, this takes years to develop and is costly to fund especially when a large portion of your squad works away from home. Now something Mayo don't have to deal with is they don't have the behemoth on their door step, they don't have to contest the same provincial championship. Dublin have won 11 of last 12 Leinster titles, think SPL, it kills the sport, I would say anecdotally attendances are down year on year, 12K watched Kildare v Meath, the smallest championship crowd that I can ever remember between those two teams. That was a regular 40K + crowd at CP. Like I said before take Dublin place them in Ulster/Connacht and perhaps even Munster and watch those provincial competitions go the same way, teams get less competitive, confidence drains and the competition dies.

#newbridgeornowhere