Death Notices

Started by Armagh4SamAgain, April 05, 2007, 03:25:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paddyjohn

They know what they are doing. I know the father of a current road racer who was pronounced dead twice inside 10mins 2 years ago, 7 months later he was back on the bike. He knows nothing else and it's all he wants to do, his father or wife have no way of stopping him. They've just accepted it and they all boarded the boat last night for southern 100 on the Isle of Man. 

MK

Quote from: GJL on July 08, 2018, 12:34:57 PM
RIP Michael. Tragic stuff once again for the Dunlop family.

On the sport. It is bat shit crazy and dangerous in the extreme but nobody outside of the sport has ANY right to tell these guys how to live their lives. What they are doing is 100% legal and that is not going to change. If this is what they want to be at then that is their choice and nobody else's.

As far as I know Michael raced on after William's accident

Windmill abu

On the sport. It is bat shit crazy and dangerous in the extreme but nobody outside of the sport has ANY right to tell these guys how to live their lives. What they are doing is 100% legal and that is not going to change. If this is what they want to be at then that is their choice and nobody else's.

+1

Why do people who are not involved in road racing or who don't know the unfortunate casualties of the sport want to ban a sport that has no connection with them?
Never underestimate the power of complaining

seafoid

Those NI bike racers remind me of the Lebanese warlord families in Robert Fisk's book "pity the nation". Lots of men dead young but they wouldn't have it any other way and the next generation will carry on the tradition.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Hound

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on July 07, 2018, 11:49:28 PM
Yeah. You're right there. I used to follow the sport in my younger days but it's haywire stuff. It's like what F1 was in the 1960s before Jackie Steward introduced safety as a priority. Isle of Man is a complete bloodbath. I think there was a guy Gene McDonald his name might have been, who got killed on the IOM when he hit a horse that had strayed onto the course. I know it's in their veins but would we make Russian Roulette legal just because people liked playing it?
IOM is different in a way, as it's a time trial rather than a race, so little or not overtaking, unlike the ones over here which are generally pure races.

I remember seeing Gene McDonnell in the Skerries 100 and for a new young guy like him to tear everyone apart like he did was quite incredible. Everyone was talking about him being potentially the most talented rider they'd ever seen.

Then a few months later came IOM. A rider ahead of him ended up in a field. That spooked a horse, who apparently was a good distance away, but bolted in exactly the wrong direction and crossed the road just as Gene was on it . Gene went through the body of the horse, barely saw it I'd say, and had no chance. The most freakest of freak accidents. A potential superstar dead.

Heartbreaking news about William this weekend. The prizemoney these guys race for is far from a whole lot, but they all agreed that every single cent of it this weekend would go to William's family.

screenexile

Quote from: Windmill abu on July 08, 2018, 09:48:03 PM

+1

Why do people who are not involved in road racing or who don't know the unfortunate casualties of the sport want to ban a sport that has no connection with them?

Yeah... just because you've no interest in road racing means you should be happy for people to die in the prime of their lives doing kamikaze shit!!

Next time a policeman pulls me over for not wearing a seatbelt I'll tell him to f**k off he doesnt understand the thrill I get from it and it's none of his business!

Road bike racing is a f**king death wish and why it's still allowed in this day and age is beyond me. There are tracks for that kind of thing where deaths are much less common. 33 deaths in the Isle of Man and 11 in the North in the last decade.

But yeah anybody who doesn't understand bike racing shouldn't be allowed to comment on all the dying... wise up!!!

GJL

Quote from: screenexile on July 09, 2018, 01:04:59 AM

+1

Yeah... just because you've no interest in road racing means you should be happy for people to die in the prime of their lives doing kamikaze shit!!

Next time a policeman pulls me over for not wearing a seatbelt I'll tell him to f**k off he doesnt understand the thrill I get from it and it’s none of his business!

Road bike racing is a f**king death wish and why it's still allowed in this day and age is beyond me. There are tracks for that kind of thing where deaths are much less common. 33 deaths in the Isle of Man and 11 in the North in the last decade.

But yeah anybody who doesn't understand bike racing shouldn't be allowed to comment on all the dying... wise up!!!

The policeman could rightly point out to you that not wearing a seat belt is against the law.

Road-racing however is completely legal and will remain so.

How many people have died whilst on a bicycle in Ireland in the same decade?

longballin

Quote from: GJL on July 10, 2018, 10:08:17 AM

+1

Next time a policeman pulls me over for not wearing a seatbelt I'll tell him to f**k off he doesnt understand the thrill I get from it and it's none of his business!

The policeman could rightly point out to you that not wearing a seat belt is against the law.

I would guess for the numbers out cycling every day compared to road racing the death rate per centage would be miniscule.

trailer

Saw a video of the accident there this morning. Crazy. He was going some speed and didn't stand a chance.

These guys know the risks and they know the chances of them retiring from the sport alive is small.

seafoid

Quote from: longballin on July 10, 2018, 10:18:29 AM
Quote from: GJL on July 10, 2018, 10:08:17 AM

+1

I would guess for the numbers out cycling every day compared to road racing the death rate per centage would be miniscule.
It's about the rate, not the numbers.
If everyone in the country was a road racer the death rate would be far higher than that of cyclists.

screenexile

Quote from: hardstation on July 10, 2018, 10:22:47 AM
It's also a stupid argument. How many people have died while out for a walk? How many have died while sleeping?
Yes, people die doing all sorts of things but ffs driving a motorbike at 100mph around shitty roads is looking for it.

That's tame for these lads hs they can get up to 200mph at times!

Fiodoir Ard Mhacha

Lord Laird, prominent Ulster Scots campaigner.

Mey 'e reist a pace.

"Something wrong with your eyes?....
Yes, they're sensitive to questions!"

Imposerous

Quote from: Fiodoir Ard Mhacha on July 11, 2018, 03:31:41 AM

Mey 'e reist a pace.

Seems to have been a bit of a character, or as he'd be described in his native tongue "a character ".

RIP

seafoid

Quote from: Imposerous on July 11, 2018, 07:33:38 AM

Mey 'e reist a pace.

Seems to have been a bit of a character, or as he'd be described in his native tongue "a character ".

RIP
LOL

RIP all the same

Orior

Quote from: Imposerous on July 11, 2018, 07:33:38 AM

Mey 'e reist a pace.

RIP

My memory of him is lecturing non-unionists who queried his fiddling of expenses etc with the line "I won't be lectured by anyone!"
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians