Refugees

Started by Mayo4Sam14, September 03, 2015, 04:42:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardy

Quote from: foxcommander on September 22, 2015, 05:19:33 PM
Quote from: screenexile on September 22, 2015, 03:47:08 PM
Quote from: foxcommander on September 22, 2015, 03:35:55 PM
Quote from: Hardy on September 22, 2015, 09:17:20 AM
Yeah. Who gives a toss about Lebanon? Let them increase their population by 37.5% by taking in Syrian refugees. Nothing to do with us. How can we be expected to take 0.2% of the population of the EU? Wouldn't be fair, would it?

It's not an EU problem.

Fuckit sure my neighbours house is on fire I'll leave him at it!!

Have we become so consumed with selfishness and greed that this is the default position of most people now... "It's not my problem!"

Sickening really!!!

How about tackling the real issue of why these people are being displaced...Ban Ki-Moon would be better tasked in his job at the UN to deploy his troops to protect syrians in their own country rather than get his spokesman to lecture the EU.

What?!?

Eamonnca1

"His" troops?!

Who wants to pick up the task of explaining how the UN works?

foxcommander

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on September 22, 2015, 09:44:18 PM
"His" troops?!

Who wants to pick up the task of explaining how the UN works?

or doesn't work
Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie

Itchy

I see foxcommander is still talking the moronic shite he was a few weeks ago. What a bollix

foxcommander

Quote from: Itchy on September 22, 2015, 10:11:53 PM
I see foxcommander is still talking the moronic shite he was a few weeks ago. What a bollix

Welcome back itchy :D

Rossfan

I put him on my blocked list a long time ago. A total *******
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Hereiam

What will become of these people when the winter sets in.
For the record Britain more or less controls the UN so don't be expecting to much to happen on this front.

foxcommander

Quote from: Rossfan on September 23, 2015, 11:40:53 AM
I put him on my blocked list a long time ago. A total *******

Yet you still read my posts  :-*

armaghniac

Yeah. Who gives a toss about Lebanon? Let them increase their population by 37.5% by taking in Syrian refugees. Nothing to do with us. How can we be expected to take 0.2% of the population of the EU? Wouldn't be fair, would it?

I think we should be concerned with all of  frontline countries and they should be assisted in every way. However, a Syrian refugee may well be as well off in a refugee camp in Jordan as one in Roscommon and if the Irish government is to fund such camps then it might well be better value to fund one in Jordan. Many of the Syrians are employable and can make a life in EU, others are not and do not really want to be in the EU, the just want some level of comfort.

The basic point here is that people contend that if the quality of life in one place doesn't suit then you have an unrestricted right to go whereever you wish, regardless of the laws of that place. I do not accept this. So Lebanon is not good enough, nor Greece, Serbia, Croatia, Hungary or even Austria, but Germany might do. But you wouldn't like Leipzig or Bremen, it would really have to be Munich. It is really the EU's job to facilitate everyone living in Munich and anything less is a disgrace.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

macdanger2

Quote from: armaghniac on September 23, 2015, 07:51:24 PM

I think we should be concerned with all of  frontline countries and they should be assisted in every way. However, a Syrian refugee may well be as well off in a refugee camp in Jordan as one in Roscommon and if the Irish government is to fund such camps then it might well be better value to fund one in Jordan. Many of the Syrians are employable and can make a life in EU, others are not and do not really want to be in the EU, the just want some level of comfort.

The basic point here is that people contend that if the quality of life in one place doesn't suit then you have an unrestricted right to go whereever you wish, regardless of the laws of that place. I do not accept this. So Lebanon is not good enough, nor Greece, Serbia, Croatia, Hungary or even Austria, but Germany might do. But you wouldn't like Leipzig or Bremen, it would really have to be Munich. It is really the EU's job to facilitate everyone living in Munich and anything less is a disgrace.

In fact, you seem to have spectacularly missed the "basic point" here

Itchy

I assume armaghmaniac would be happy if the coffin ships going to America during the famine were all turned away because England was closer and adequate.

armaghniac

Quote from: macdanger2 on September 23, 2015, 07:54:28 PM

Well tell me so.
Are you contending that a refugee has an unlimited right to go whereever they wish regardless of the laws of the places they go to? If you are contending this, does this right also extend to everyone who doesn't like where they are?

Quote from: Itchy on September 23, 2015, 08:06:43 PM
I assume armaghmaniac would be happy if the coffin ships going to America during the famine were all turned away because England was closer and adequate.

This is a lazy analogy, as circumstances in the the New World in the 19th century were quite different. But then lazy analysis is par for the course here. But if I was a posting in 1846 I would probably have said that England should have sorted out the conditions in Ireland so that coffin ships were not needed.

macdanger2

Quote from: armaghniac on September 23, 2015, 08:16:46 PM

Well tell me so.
Are you contending that a refugee has an unlimited right to go whereever they wish regardless of the laws of the places they go to? If you are contending this, does this right also extend to everyone who doesn't like where they are?

I'm not contending any such thing.

The fact of the matter is that these refugees are here whether you like it or not. Now something has to be done to help them, I contend that we and all of Europe have a duty to provide them with refuge

What do you propose that we do with them??

armaghniac

Quote from: macdanger2 on September 23, 2015, 08:24:10 PM
The fact of the matter is that these refugees are here whether you like it or not. Now something has to be done to help them, I contend that we and all of Europe have a duty to provide them with refuge

What do you propose that we do with them??

Define refuge? food and a place  to live, a place to live at a place of their choosing? A job?
Does this apply only to Syrians or also the Pakistanis, Indians etc in the mobs attacking police in Hungary?

Itchy

Quote from: armaghniac on September 23, 2015, 08:16:46 PM

Well tell me so.

Quote from: Itchy on September 23, 2015, 08:06:43 PM

This is a lazy analogy, as circumstances in the the New World in the 19th century were quite different. But then lazy analysis is par for the course here. But if I was a posting in 1846 I would probably have said that England should have sorted out the conditions in Ireland so that coffin ships were not needed.

Yes, that's the point you would have said exactly that and 2 million people would have died instead of 1 million. Might I ask if you consider yourself a Christian?