Previous topic - Next topic

Sean Brady Has Retired.

Are you glad to see him go?
42 (80.8%)
Are you sad to see him go?
10 (19.2%)

Total Members Voted: 52

Lar Naparka

Sean Brady's resignation has been accepted by Pope Francis. (Sound Man, Francis!)
What, if anything, does his departure mean to you?
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

T Fearon

it means another thread is unnecessary

AZOffaly

Holy Shit Tony. *You* are pulling up other people for starting duplicate threads?? :D

seafoid

It's a "lessons have been learnt and it's time to move on" stroke from an institution that wants to draw a curtain over a haplessly managed  episode.   
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Lar Naparka

Quote from: T Fearon on September 08, 2014, 01:09:38 PM
it means another thread is unnecessary
Not really Tony, it marks the end of the line your hero but also I'm more concerned about the future. The Church, aka Sean Brady, has lost the trust of the Irish people.
mylestheslasher started this thread of with the question;  Is there a bigger bollix in Ireland at the moment than Sean Brady?
I think it's fair to say the verdict of the board is a resounding NO.
Now Brady is history, in a manner of speaking, and it's time to move forward.
Church policies in the future concern me more than Brady's actions in its name in the past.

No doubt you'll muck this one up too! ;D
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

magpie seanie

Far too late but the catholic church has a huge way to go to reclaim the trust of many. I doubt it is willing or able to do what has to be done. The new Pope seems to be a step in the right direction but the church needs to run hard in the right direction.

johnneycool

In all fairness to Diarmuid Martin, he's been ploughing a lone furrow within the confines of the Catholic Church in terms of how they've dealt with the child abuse scandals all over Ireland, whereas Sean Brady has been towing the party line right to the end.

The disaffected will probably feel better now with Martin in the local hot seat and with Francis making the right sounds, needing to be backed up with action though, but a step in the right direction.

muppet

Quote from: johnneycool on September 08, 2014, 04:29:15 PM
In all fairness to Diarmuid Martin, he's been ploughing a lone furrow within the confines of the Catholic Church in terms of how they've dealt with the child abuse scandals all over Ireland, whereas Sean Brady has been towing the party line right to the end.

The disaffected will probably feel better now with Martin in the local hot seat and with Francis making the right sounds, needing to be backed up with action though, but a step in the right direction.

One is Diarmuid Martin and the other is Eamon Martin, no?
MWWSI 2017

AZOffaly

johnneycool

Jez, you're right.

Shows how much I know about the Catholic hierarchy in Ireland. Too long away from the sunday stuff.

WT4E

IMO Cardinal Brady done a lot of good work in the church and he shouldn't be hounded by people after his retirement.

There were a lot of wrongs in the church but I was always thought Cardinal Brady was a good sort.

magpie seanie

Quote from: WT4E on September 08, 2014, 04:45:00 PM
IMO Cardinal Brady done a lot of good work in the church and he shouldn't be hounded by people after his retirement.

There were a lot of wrongs in the church but I was always thought Cardinal Brady was a good sort.

So why did he not do anything about these "wrongs" as you mildly put it? If he was such a good sort?

He got where he was because he is/was an establishment guy. The Church is more important than anything or anyone else and must be protected/defended at all costs. Good sort my hole.

WT4E

Its just my opinion - Your right it should been handled better! However I'd say he was under serious pressure from a lot of corners we will never know about - not that I'm saying that's an excuse.

T Fearon

WT don't waste your time on threads like this with articulate reasoned arguments, unless you have a thick skin.

Archbishop is Eamonn interviewed on BBC Radio there spoke very honestly.He said Cardinal Sean was an enormous help to him during his induction and praised the Cardinal for his service and contribution to the peace process but admitted in was scarred owing to the Child Abuse scandal as the whole Church has been and said there was a long way to go,Intimating that Brady going doesn't draw a line under it and spoke also of the enormous hurt of the victims

muppet

Quote from: T Fearon on September 08, 2014, 05:39:32 PM
WT don't waste your time on threads like this with articulate reasoned arguments, unless you have a thick skin.

Archbishop is Eamonn interviewed on BBC Radio there spoke very honestly.He said Cardinal Sean was an enormous help to him during his induction and praised the Cardinal for his service and contribution to the peace process but admitted in was scarred owing to the Child Abuse scandal as the whole Church has been and said there was a long way to go,Intimating that Brady going doesn't draw a line under it and spoke also of the enormous hurt of the victims

That is a start at least.

And a hell of a long way from anything you have said Tony.
MWWSI 2017