Boxing Thread

Started by bennydorano, November 04, 2007, 09:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimStynes

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 01, 2022, 10:31:31 AM
Quote from: JimStynes on May 01, 2022, 10:19:38 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 01, 2022, 09:30:02 AM
Ireland greatest Irish woman boxer. If Katie wasn't boxing how many people will watch it from here?

Btw I think she's amazing but I'm not convinced on the sport being recognised as top class. I watched more of the Irish ladies rugby last night than I did of Katie's fight

It's a defining moment in woman's sport though. She's done a special thing and will go down in history. Great ever Irish sports person? I'm not so sure but she's definitely up there as the most influential ever.

I agree, and would be great if she was making good money to show for her efforts

7 figure payday apparently

bennydorano

Watched the Stevenson v Valdez fight there. Hard to believe them boys are in the same weight division. Stevenson vastly superior as well as a nightmare southpaw, bit of a gobshite tho.

laoislad

Quote from: Captain Scarlet on May 01, 2022, 10:18:14 AM
Ah they have to bring her home to Croke Park.
You'd be looking at over 80,000 and a massive payday for her.
That would be fantastic. Would love to see it.
What a woman. Irelands greatest sportsperson by a mile.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

laoislad

Quote from: screenexile on May 01, 2022, 04:21:59 AM
Quote from: GiveItToTheShooters on May 01, 2022, 04:13:35 AM
If it wasn't already blatantly obvious, she is confirmed as the greatest athlete Ireland has ever produced. What a win! Amazing. Such heart she showed.

Rory tho??!!
She'd box the head off him I'd reckon 😜
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

quit yo jibbajabba

Im no hater of Rory but fcuk id love to see that 😃

Milltown Row2

Quote from: JimStynes on May 01, 2022, 10:50:00 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 01, 2022, 10:31:31 AM
Quote from: JimStynes on May 01, 2022, 10:19:38 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on May 01, 2022, 09:30:02 AM
Ireland greatest Irish woman boxer. If Katie wasn't boxing how many people will watch it from here?

Btw I think she's amazing but I'm not convinced on the sport being recognised as top class. I watched more of the Irish ladies rugby last night than I did of Katie's fight

It's a defining moment in woman's sport though. She's done a special thing and will go down in history. Great ever Irish sports person? I'm not so sure but she's definitely up there as the most influential ever.

I agree, and would be great if she was making good money to show for her efforts

7 figure payday apparently

Take out flights accommodation fees trainers managers nutritionists head coach and whatever else they use comes out of that 7 figures you think she got...

Outside of Katie Taylor I couldn't name another famous boxer other Ali's daughter and I couldn't even remember her first name.

And just because some clampits say she's Irelands greatest sports person doesn't mean she is.

It's a very small sport of which Katie is the best at her weight division nothing else
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

quit yo jibbajabba

Id a fb friend said it was official that she was Irelands best ever, so theres no arguing with that 😃😉

nrico2006

Quote from: bennydorano on May 01, 2022, 11:01:19 AM
Watched the Stevenson v Valdez fight there. Hard to believe them boys are in the same weight division. Stevenson vastly superior as well as a nightmare southpaw, bit of a gobshite tho.

What you mean about the weights?

Stevenson is hard to like. Had to run out mid post-fight press conference as his ma and family started a whole handling.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Hound

Great fight. A fight that lived up to the hype, probably the best women's fight I've seen.

Katie has no power and while Amanda is the smaller woman she did have more power and wasn't too far away from stopping Katie in round 5 and also dominated 6. But Katie showed unbelievable heart to come back and win the last 4 rounds.

The first 4 rounds were very tight and could have been scored 3-1 to either, or 2-2.

In the past Katie got the benefit of at least one poor decision, but a tight win was the right decision this time.

Saffrongael

Quote from: quit yo jibbajabba on May 01, 2022, 11:49:25 AM
Id a fb friend said it was official that she was Irelands best ever, so theres no arguing with that 😃😉

Case closed :D
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

Mikhail Prokhorov

great fight, well deserved for Katie, worked her out after tough middle rounds   :D

as a role model Katie Taylor transcends sport in Ireland

bennydorano

Quote from: nrico2006 on May 01, 2022, 12:01:51 PM
Quote from: bennydorano on May 01, 2022, 11:01:19 AM

What you mean about the weights?

Stevenson is hard to like. Had to run out mid post-fight press conference as his ma and family started a whole handling.
Stevenson just much bigger looking

Blowitupref

World championship gold medals for Lisa O'Rourke from Roscommon and Amy Broadhurst from Louth
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Substandard

I wouldn't be an avid or very knowledgeable boxing fan, but recently started following The Loneliest Sport page on Facebook, if you haven't seen it, it's definitely worth a look.  It just gives a short quote from different fighters, and I usually end up on Wikipedia afterwards reading a bit more about their lives and careers.  Some really fascinating and interesting stories and characters.

nrico2006

There are some boxers out there with very colourful lives, with a lot of them ending up dead in tragic (or not so tragic ways too).  Just think of Gatti's death which is shrouded in controversy.  Add in Corrie Sanders, Edwin Valero (possibly greatest boxer you never heard of), Carlos Monzon, Antonio Cermeno, Hector Camacho, Vernon Forrest, Trevor Berbick, Alexis Arguello, Alejandro Gonzalez Jr (who knocked Frampton down twice), Freddie Mills, Sonny Liston and Pernell Whitaker.  Freddie Mills life story is crazy, even the rumours about how or why he met his end.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'