NFL Fantasy Football - GAABoard Superbowl 2023

Started by AZOffaly, June 03, 2010, 09:49:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Question

Yes
No

eiled in the bushes

i am completely lost as to transfers and waivers,have not got a clue what i am doing.think i picked a few boys but when do i get them and can somebody else steal them from me. is there a picking [or pecking] order?  help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  ???
get some metal in your life

AZOffaly

Howya eiled,

What are you struggling with? I'll try and help out if I can.

Let's start at the beginning. After the draft you have now got a roster with starters and bench players. Obviously you try to put what you think are your best players on the starting team each week to get points from them.

Occasionally, or frequently, throughout the season, you might want to pick up different player because of things like injury or general uselessness.

To do that you basically have 3 options, which I will describe below (in straightforward terms. There are other ways to do all of this, but I'll try to keep it simple).

1) The Trade. - A Trade is basically an agreement to swap one of more players between two managers in the league. If you notice a player on another team that you like the look of, and you have something you think the other manager might be interested in, you can offer a trade. You offer a trade as follows.

a) Go to 'MY TEAM'.
b) On the top bar select 'Trade'
c) Choose the team you want to trade with
d) Tick the box beside the player(s) you want and select 'Continue' at the bottom.
e) Tick the box beside the player(s) you are offering in return and select 'Continue' at the bottom
f)  Add a note for the other manager, and click 'Send Trade Proposal'.

Now the other manager will get a notification that says a trade has been proposed, and they will either accept, refuse or make a counter offer to you. You will be notified either way, (make sure you watch your email).

Assuming the other manager agrees, there is then a 2 day period where the rest of the managers in the league are notified of the trade that is about to happen, and they can object to me about it. If there are enough objections, or I feel it is unfair (one team is getting ripped off either deliberately or accidentally), I can veto (cancel) the trade.

That is trading.

2 - The Waiver Wire

The Waiver wire is another way of picking up players, but in this case NOBODY owns them. The concept of a Waiver Wire (as opposed to immediate pickups) was born in Fantasy to stop unfair advantages. For example, if I lived in Arizona, and was watching a game on Monday night and saw the best running back get injured, it's not fair that I could jump onto Yahoo, and pick up his backup while the lads in Ireland are asleep.

Therefore this concept of a Waiver Wire was enacted. Think of a Waiver Wire as a holding pen, where players are held while managers have a chance to say they are interested in picking them up.

Now, the way it works is as follows.

a) All players not on a fantasy team are placed on the Waiver Wire EVERY WEEK from the moment the first game kicks off, until the day after the last game of the week.
b) Outside of those days, only players dropped by a fantasy team go on the waiver wire. All other players are called 'Free Agents' (see point 3).
c) In order to pick up someone on the waiver wire, select MY TEAM, and then 'ADD' from the top menu.
d) You will be taken to the available players list, and you can filter on various positions, etc.
e) When you see the player you want, you will see that he has his name, team, next opponent and the letter 'W' with a date after it. The 'W' means he is on the waiver wire, and the date is the date he will become a free agent (again, see point 3 below). During the game weekend, as I mentioned above, ALL players will be 'W' with the same end date (which will be the day after the last game).
f) There will also be a green cross beside the player, and this is what you click if you want to submit a 'Waiver Claim', basically saying you are interested in picking him up.
g) When you select the green cross, you will need to tick a player you want to drop to make room for this new guy, unless you have an empty spot, and then click 'Add this player and drop another player'.
h) You will then be presented with a confirmation screen where you click 'Add this player'. (It will tell you the lad you are dropping as well).

How do you know if your claim is successful???? This is the bit some people struggle with. JUST BECAUSE YOU CLAIM A PLAYER DOES NOT MEAN YOU WILL GET HIM. Why not? Read on.

A claim on a player is just that, a claim. It is not a guarantee. On the Waiver wire, every manager has what is called a Waiver Priority. This is a number between 1 and 14 (the number of managers in the league). If two or more managers make a claim on the same player, the manager with the lowest number wins. So if you have a waiver priority of 11, and I have one of 9, then I will win if we both claim the same player.

IMPORTANT NOTE - The Waiver priority is re-set each week, with the person with the best record getting 14, and the worst team getting 1.

IMPORTANT NOTE 2 - Each time you have a successful claim, your waiver priority is reset to 14 for that week. So if in our example above, I won that claim, I would then be waiver priority 14, the person that was 10th, would move up to 9, you would move up to 10, and so on.

You know if your claim is successful on the day that the player comes off waivers. Yahoo looks at who (if any) have claimed him, and assigns the player to the owner with the best waiver priority. An email then goes to all owners who tried to claim the player.

3. Free Agents
Free Agency is the easiest way to pick up players, in terms of understanding. Waiver Priority doesn't come into it, and the player immediately joins your roster, so you don't have to wait to see if you are successful.

The important thing to note about Free Agency is that it is NOT AVAILABLE during the times the games are on, as all players go on Waivers for that period (see 2 above).

The rest of the week, most players not owned by someone else will be Free Agents, and only players recently dropped by other managers will go to Waivers.

To pick up a player off Free Agency, do the following.

a) Go to MY TEAM and select 'ADD' from the top menu.
b) Look for a player you like, and if he has his name, team, opponent and the letters 'FA' beside him, then he's available for you to pick up immediately.
c) Click the green cross beside his name.
d) You will then have to select a player to drop to make room for him, unless you have empty spots on your roster.
e) Click 'Add this player and drop another'.
f) You will then get the confirmation screen, click 'Add this Player'.

At this point, congrats, you have successfully added the free agent. If you look at 'MY TEAM' you will see him there straight away.

So, to summarise.

1) TRADE - When you offer to swap one of your players for someone on another team. Takes 2 days after the other manager accepts, assuming no one objects.

2) WAIVER WIRE - When you claim a player on Waivers (W), normally during the weekend as games are being player, or shortly after the player is dropped by someone else. Success or Failure depends on Waiver Priority if other people also claim the same player. Becomes effective when the specified date is reached, e.g. W (21 Sep) would be effective on the 21 Sep.

3) FREE AGENTS - When you immediately pick up an unowned players, who is not on the Waiver Wire. No waiting period, no priorities. First come first served. NOTE - This is NOT available during the Waiver Wire period.

Hope this helps

AZOffaly

I should have said. You can see your current waiver priority if you look at the standings section of the league. Each team's waiver priority is listed in the second last column - titled 'Waiver''

Rossie11

AZ I sent you a trade proposal in Montana. Can you have a look before the weekends games if you get a chance

AZOffaly

Don't forget the predictions Comp everyone...

Rossie, I was thinking about this one, but I want to hold Cooley. Certainly not for Miller or Jones.

turk

Anyone know how to get rid of those yahoo fantasy football live fúckfaces from the "My team" page?

The Iceman

I dont understand why teams are sandbagging players.
Why do you need 5 RB's on your team and 2 on the bench. I have a bunch of solid WR's available to trade and there are RB's on the bench!

I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

mc_grens

Quote from: The Iceman on September 20, 2010, 08:46:24 PM
I dont understand why teams are sandbagging players.
Why do you need 5 RB's on your team and 2 on the bench. I have a bunch of solid WR's available to trade and there are RB's on the bench!

Because people need backups for bye weeks and you never know when an RB could get injured. One that's a backup this week could be next weeks starter with 100 yds and a TD.

Capt Pat

There is no point keeping a load of back up running backs, you will need to trade them for other positions.

mc_grens

Backs are the most injured position on the field. It's well worth holding onto a guy like Johnsthon Stewart, even though he's probably at best a flex starter, in case DeAngelo Williams gets hurt. Likewise if you've three top RB's it's worth holding them unless you've a serious need elsewhere. All it takes is one planted foot leading to an ACL injury, or a concussion from a big hit to make that third RB a vital investment.

The Iceman

I understand the odd backup but holding on to a mid tier RB when you have no WR's doesnt' make sense.
Theres boys out there with 3 starting RB's and 2 on the bench......
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

DrinkingHarp

AZ,
Is there a way you could open up LB's for DL's on the league site?
Gaaboard Predict The World Cup Champion 2014

AZOffaly

I don't think so DH. I didn't exclude anyone. I have noticed some Safeties and LBs missing, but I don't know why.

DrinkingHarp

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 21, 2010, 09:03:08 AM
I don't think so DH. I didn't exclude anyone. I have noticed some Safeties and LBs missing, but I don't know why.

Clay Matthews would look great on my team ::)
Gaaboard Predict The World Cup Champion 2014