What TV to Buy

Started by galwayman, September 16, 2008, 05:13:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boycey

Quote from: men in black on December 26, 2017, 07:20:46 PM
TV in the kitchen has passed away. No bad jokes Tony.
Had a look around Tesco today and only seen the Technika and noticed that it would
Work for both free view and Saorview.
Dropped into curries and asked the advisor what he would recommend to receive free view and Saorview, only to be told that he couldn't guarantee that I would pick up Saorveiw.
Have a rte Ariel and an old Sony Bravia in living room but had to get a set top box to get rte because of the spec of the Sony.
Any advice on new tv would be most welcome.

The monitor I use for cctv at work went wallop and I saw bought one of those technikas to replace it from Tesco's for £100. When I saw the quality of picture on it for the price I was astonished and promptly swapped it for one of my working TVs. Top notch for the price, I usually buy LG myself if I was going for a brand.

thewobbler

Get a tv with either Freeview HD (not Freeview +) or saorview on the box.

Saorview uses a HD signal. Freeview in UK doesn't require HD. That's the difference.

men in black

Thank you Boycey.
The thing I liked about it was it give me both of the free view options north and south.

thewobbler
So the tv must be full HD

Any recommendations for under 450mm in height restrictions that I have.

thewobbler

Quote from: men in black on December 26, 2017, 08:03:55 PM
Thank you Boycey.
The thing I liked about it was it give me both of the free view options north and south.

thewobbler

Both the tv and it's freeview antenna must be HD. Some HD TVs don't have HD Freeview which is clean mad but sure anything for Curry's to save a fiver

armaghniac

Quote from: thewobbler on December 26, 2017, 08:28:20 PM
Quote from: men in black on December 26, 2017, 08:03:55 PM
Thank you Boycey.

thewobbler

Both the tv and it's freeview antenna must be HD. Some HD TVs don't have HD Freeview which is clean mad but sure anything for Curry's to save a fiver

There is no such thing as a Freeview HD antenna, the aerial is the same either way.
There do exist non  Freeview HD sets that do Saroview, but the simplest plan is to ensure the set is Freeview HD.

Freeview HD sets also get the Divis RTÉ service.

In fact, anyone buying a non Freeview HD compatible set almost in 2018 is unwise, because even if you lived in England they are going to turn off the Freeview signal in a few years, they are not going to keep on broadcasting the same channel in SD and HD both for ever.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

shantygael

Quote from: men in black on December 26, 2017, 07:20:46 PM
TV in the kitchen has passed away. No bad jokes Tony.
Had a look around Tesco today and only seen the Technika and noticed that it would
Work for both free view and Saorview.
Dropped into curries and asked the advisor what he would recommend to receive free view and Saorview, only to be told that he couldn't guarantee that I would pick up Saorveiw.
Have a rte Ariel and an old Sony Bravia in living room but had to get a set top box to get rte because of the spec of the Sony.
Any advice on new tv would be most welcome.
Most of the larger(32inch and up) Samsung's, Hitachi's and LGS  in Argos have saorview built in .check the specifications on their website.i live in the north and have excellent hd quality on rte.
you've only had enough to drink when you cant hold onto the ground

shantygael

Argos usually have a no quibble returns policy as well ,Curry's are a nightmare and usually will look to send anything away to repair it rather than give you an exchange.learnt this from experience,bought a hob on a Friday,tried to change it on a Sunday as one of the elements wasn't  working and they wanted to send it away.😡
you've only had enough to drink when you cant hold onto the ground

men in black

Some great info.
Thank you all.

bigfrank

Looking tv for a new house I recently purchased,all advice on models and where to buy welcomed.would a 55'-70 inch look too big in living room? Biggest tv I have had was 48' I think

Tony Baloney

Quote from: bigfrank on November 23, 2018, 08:30:24 PM
Looking tv for a new house I recently purchased,all advice on models and where to buy welcomed.would a 55'-70 inch look too big in living room? Biggest tv I have had was 48' I think
Without being facetious it depends on the size of your living room.

There used to be a rule of thumb where your screen size should be viewing distance (in inches) divided by 3 so if you are 10 foot away a 40 incher.

Itchy

If you want iptv make sure you buy a Samsung or LG smart tv or any android tv.

JoG2

LG 60" 4k. Watching the sport is unreal (smartIPTV app built in but you needy send the developers a one off payment of £5 odd quid) , but watching TV shows / films on 4k takes a bit of getting used to.. Just looks too real if that makes any sense. We've a Panasonic  55" HD and prefer to watch TV shows on it tbh.

TVs have such fine borders these days that a 60" today prob has similar dimensions to a 48" from a few years back.

Rois

Just bought a 50 inch one for the wall of our kitchen/dining/living area. Sofa will be quite close but want to be able to see it from the kitchen so it felt about the smallest we could get. The living room one will be smaller.

Of course the new TV is bought but house not signed for yet...

gallsman

Focus more on the screen technology then simply the size of the make. You can of course get LG or Samsung TVs but you should look at OLED or QLED after that, asking with refresh rates, HDR etc rather than just jump to the size.

Bang for your buck, the top models from TCL are hard to beat.

I went all out a few days ago and bought the 65 inch Samsung Q9FN. It's stunning.

bigfrank

Lot of people I had asked about this mentioned Samsung as a quality model.i watch a lot of sport,in fact a lot of tv in general so would like it to be a big smart tv.plan to get broadband and then a chipped sky box or what ever you tech guys call them to see sky sports etc

Any links to models of choices or am I pushing it and being lazy!