Not sure
16 (8.9%)

Total Members Voted: 179

Voting closed: July 31, 2018, 12:59:52 PM

Franko

Quote from: Syferus on July 30, 2018, 05:12:22 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on July 30, 2018, 04:04:12 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on July 30, 2018, 03:50:56 PM
70,000 is a massive crowd for a hurling semi final. All the projections I heard during the week were for 60-70,000.

Just for shits and giggles I checked the semi final attendances for AIH semi finals over the last 5 years. Football, especially with the Dubs in it, attracts bigger crowds normally.

2017 Semi Finals - Galway v Tipp 68,184; Cork v Waterford 72,022
2016 Semi Finals - Kilkenny v Waterford 34,432 (replay 30,058); Tipperary v Galway 54,227
2015 Semi Finals - Kilkenny v Waterford 41,112; Tipperary v Galway 58,495
2014 Semi Finals - Kilkenny v Limerick 45,478; Cork v Tipperary 68,728
2013 Semi Finals - Dublin v Cork 62,092; Limerick v Clare 62,962

So only the 2017 Semi Final between Cork and Waterford has had more, and that was by less than a thousand.

The expected attendance was lower than what actually turned up. I don't really know what bearing other games have on that statement, AZ. The hype Limerick generated from beating Kilkenny and Cork has come off winning Munster made this a very attractive tie on paper.

It's impossible to tell but I wouldn't be surprised if some bandwagon fans in Cork decided to stay at home in part because of this shïtshow.

Lol.  State of this.

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

trailer

70,000 is a massive crowd for a hurling semi final. All the projections I heard during the week were for 60-70,000.

Just for shits and giggles I checked the semi final attendances for AIH semi finals over the last 5 years. Football, especially with the Dubs in it, attracts bigger crowds normally.

2016 Semi Finals - Kilkenny v Waterford 34,432 (replay 30,058); Tipperary v Galway 54,227

So only the 2017 Semi Final between Cork and Waterford has had more, and that was by less than a thousand.

The expected attendance was lower than what actually turned up. I don't really know what bearing other games have on that statement, AZ. The hype Limerick generated from beating Kilkenny and Cork has come off winning Munster made this a very attractive tie on paper.

It's impossible to tell but I wouldn't be surprised if some bandwagon fans in Cork decided to stay at home in part because of this shïtshow.

Straws have been clutched.

Jinxy

You wouldn't want to pay too much attention to people on social media who threaten to stop buying things, subscribing to things, going to things etc. on the back of the latest thing they're pretending to be outraged about.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Franko

Just some more numbers for the town clown.  He won't see them  ;) but everyone else will.  And that's all that really matters.  It would seem that the attendances were similar, if not slightly higher than expected.

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/bumper-crowds-expected-at-croke-park-as-hurling-returns-1.3574170

Croke Park is poised for its first properly bumper attendance of the summer - with this weekend's All-Ireland hurling semi-finals set to draw in excess of 120,000 between them.

Sunday's showdown between Munster champions Cork and Limerick (3.30pm) is proving particularly attractive and with 35,000 tickets sold in Limerick already that game now likely to draw over 70,000; All-Ireland champions Galway face Clare in the other semi-final on Saturday evening (5pm) and that game is expected to attract a crowd of over 50,000.

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on July 30, 2018, 03:40:50 PM
What about the rules the GAA agreed with the EU over the funding? You seem to have avoided that

What about them? Largely irrelevant as far as I can see.

Does that mean that any sporting organisation in receipt of EU funds *have* to rent out their stadia to any group for any amount of money at any time that suits them?

I don't see how that can possibly be legally ensconced within any agreement (between any sporting organisation, not just the GAA).
i usse an speelchekor

sid waddell

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on July 30, 2018, 02:15:12 PM
Quote from: sligoman2 on July 30, 2018, 12:37:46 PM
Glad to see the GAA did the right thing, but they do need to be able to make decisions (even if temporary), a little quicker and they do need to shed some of the shackles and mindset of long ago..

Whether they've done the right thing or not will be determined over the next few decades.

The right thing in this instance being disregarding the rules of Congress.
Does this mean the GAA is no longer a democratic organisation?
Does it mean the rules of the GAA are no longer worth the paper they are written on?

While I agree that *in this instance* the majority of members would have been in favour of PUC opening - that might not always be the case -  yet now there is precedent for ignoring the rules and doing whatever pleases you.

What if, at some point in the future, a soccer club with a "glamour" European fixture asks the local county board to play the game in the county ground - at a generous rent price. County board says yes - and kicks a couple of underage finals that were meant to be held that night off the county pitch. Is that OK?

Or maybe more worryingly - if clubs that are finding it hard to make ends meet start renting out their grounds to local soccer clubs in the evenings and forcing their own teams off the pitch(es)?
What exactly would the problem be with clubs renting out their premises to whoever they want? What is worrying about it? Why should local GAA units be prevented from makng their own decisions by a draconian, broad brush, inflexible rule?

What exactly would be the problem with the Cork County Board renting out Pairc Ui Chaoimh to Cork City for a European tie, for example, if they play Celtic in the next round of the Europa League, as they would do should Celtic lose to Rosenborg?

I'm not taking about whether it will happen - we all know it won't until Rule 42 is abolished.

I'm talking about why these things should be prevented.

Why does this rule remain in place?

What is the case for retaining it?

Can you make a positive case for why such a draconian rule should remain in place?

I see no positive case whatsoever. 

The only rationale I see from anybody is to "stick one" to other sports.

Nobody will be "kicked off" any GAA pitch because a very occasional fixture in another sport takes place.

sid waddell

Quote from: johnnycool on July 30, 2018, 02:32:35 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on July 30, 2018, 01:04:27 PM
Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on July 30, 2018, 12:56:13 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on July 28, 2018, 11:55:19 PM
Quote from: currychip on July 28, 2018, 10:08:11 PM
Which full time officials were incompetent?
Exactly.
It must irritate a lot of critics that the GAA Hierarchy and the Liam Miller Committee sorted things out quietly and amicably in a dignified manner.
Amicible and dignified? Seriously?
The whole thing has been a PR catastrophe for the GAA.

Whilst I don't think you are wrong, what impact going forward will this PR disaster have on the GAA?

Will sponsors pull out?
Will the attendances drop?
Who ever said anything about attendances dropping or sponsors pulling out?

I'm really not sure of your point here.

The Jackson/Olding trial was a PR disaster for Ulster and Irish rugby but sponsors didn't pull out and crowds are not going to drop as a result.

The Newbridge fiasco was a PR disaster for the GAA too - Kildare and Mayo supporters were effectively painted as hooligans by the GAA - but interest in the match only heightened as a result.

sid waddell

Quote from: larryin89 on July 30, 2018, 03:33:15 PM
I'm sound with the one off game going ahead ,no bother .

But I find it bizzare that there is a feeling in here of a want of a free for all . GAA needs to promote GAA not f**king helping rival organisations at every turn. Absolute freaks some of ye.
Were you OK with the Rugby World Cup bid including several GAA stadiums?

Were you OK with Croke Park being opened?

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on July 30, 2018, 06:52:59 PM
Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on July 30, 2018, 03:40:50 PM
What about the rules the GAA agreed with the EU over the funding? You seem to have avoided that

What about them? Largely irrelevant as far as I can see.

Does that mean that any sporting organisation in receipt of EU funds *have* to rent out their stadia to any group for any amount of money at any time that suits them?

I don't see how that can possibly be legally ensconced within any agreement (between any sporting organisation, not just the GAA).
The conditions of funding of PuC are irrelevant?

You really need to do your homework here

sid waddell

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on July 30, 2018, 03:58:45 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on July 30, 2018, 03:47:48 PM
Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on July 30, 2018, 03:07:42 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on July 30, 2018, 02:31:04 PM
I think this is a pretty unique case.
To take the example of the soccer team wanting to use a GAA stadium with a bigger capacity for a competitive game, it wouldn't have anything like the groundswell of support that the Miller charity game has had, and could be easily shot down if necessary.

Who would shoot it down?

If the county board decided to - do you think the social media warriors would wade in supporting the U-14s whose final was that night?

Look at the example below, which is pretty much the scenario you are describing.
https://www.sportsjoe.ie/football/serious-gaa-and-soccer-fall-out-up-north-as-derry-city-are-sent-to-donegal-105692
Plenty of anger on social media, but because it is predominantly coming from Derry City fans, it's not a big story.

Exactly my point.

Derry's a bit of a bad example as most (of the GAA persuasion) wouldn't want to play a game in Celtic Park anyway - but, since its a bit of a theoretical argument right now, lets say they did.

If the county board did decide to rent out the ground to Derry FC - what happens if the gaelic, hurling and camogie finals are f**ked around to suit the fixtures of the LOI? The social media campaign obviously fell on deaf ears. Would it be any different if it were just the few affected clubs up in arms?
League of Ireland fixtures take place on Friday nights and the occasional Monday night from March to October.

Last year's League of Ireland was 33 games so you have either 16 or 17 home games. Throw in a few cup games to bring that to 20.

You think 20 free dates over eight months couldn't have been arranged for one season only?

It's not Brexit they'd have been negotiating.

sid waddell

Quote from: Jinxy on July 30, 2018, 04:13:19 PM
The motion before Congress has to be worded in such a way that leaves delegates in no doubt that we will go 'this far and no further'.
Initially designate a small number of grounds, and then put in place a system whereby provincial/county boards can apply to have a ground added to the list, after canvassing club delegates.
That way, nobody is being forced into anything (I'm looking at you Ulster!)
Why would anybody be forced into anything?

The whole point about abolishing Rule 42 is that local GAA units could make their own decisions about their own premises in their own best interests.

Currently, they can't.

They're being forced to abide by a broad brush, inflexible rule even in situations where it would clearly be in the best interests of both themselves and their local communities.

It's quite similar to the 8th Amendment debate.

Those who advocate the abolition of Rule 42 are proposing choice. Those who advocate it being kept are against choice.

sid waddell

Quote from: Jinxy on July 30, 2018, 05:40:04 PM
You wouldn't want to pay too much attention to people on social media who threaten to stop buying things, subscribing to things, going to things etc. on the back of the latest thing they're pretending to be outraged about.
Was the reaction to Damien Duff's comments here "pretend outrage"?

From the Bunker

Quote from: sid waddell on July 30, 2018, 07:03:31 PM
Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on July 30, 2018, 02:15:12 PM
Quote from: sligoman2 on July 30, 2018, 12:37:46 PM
Glad to see the GAA did the right thing, but they do need to be able to make decisions (even if temporary), a little quicker and they do need to shed some of the shackles and mindset of long ago..

Whether they've done the right thing or not will be determined over the next few decades.

The right thing in this instance being disregarding the rules of Congress.
Does this mean the GAA is no longer a democratic organisation?
Does it mean the rules of the GAA are no longer worth the paper they are written on?

While I agree that *in this instance* the majority of members would have been in favour of PUC opening - that might not always be the case -  yet now there is precedent for ignoring the rules and doing whatever pleases you.

What if, at some point in the future, a soccer club with a "glamour" European fixture asks the local county board to play the game in the county ground - at a generous rent price. County board says yes - and kicks a couple of underage finals that were meant to be held that night off the county pitch. Is that OK?

Or maybe more worryingly - if clubs that are finding it hard to make ends meet start renting out their grounds to local soccer clubs in the evenings and forcing their own teams off the pitch(es)?
What exactly would the problem be with clubs renting out their premises to whoever they want? What is worrying about it? Why should local GAA units be prevented from makng their own decisions by a draconian, broad brush, inflexible rule?

What exactly would be the problem with the Cork County Board renting out Pairc Ui Chaoimh to Cork City for a European tie, for example, if they play Celtic in the next round of the Europa League, as they would do should Celtic lose to Rosenborg?

I'm not taking about whether it will happen - we all know it won't until Rule 42 is abolished.

I'm talking about why these things should be prevented.

Why does this rule remain in place?

What is the case for retaining it?

Can you make a positive case for why such a draconian rule should remain in place?

I see no positive case whatsoever. 

The only rationale I see from anybody is to "stick one" to other sports.

Nobody will be "kicked off" any GAA pitch because a very occasional fixture in another sport takes place.

The rules are there to block two British games Rugby and Soccer! It's a carry over from the ban.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: Jinxy on July 30, 2018, 05:40:04 PM
Were you not outraged by Duffs comments? Let me guess, thats differenr.