What TV to Buy

Started by galwayman, September 16, 2008, 05:13:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Main Street

I have had about 3 fridges in my lifetime, just plugged em in and they worked.
What are the chances of that happenning?
I never knew how fortunate I was until now ::)

What has a few people moaning a few years ago, in a moaners website, about a type of Samsung Fridge got to do with the LCD screen quality reputation of Samsung?

Doogie Browser

Thats right MS all threads on here ALWAYS stay on topic  :P

I was just trying to alert people to my concerns about Samsung as a supplier of electrical goods in general if you must know. 

Main Street

I reached the stage where I got seriously fed up with my LCD, a  few years old Toshiba Rezka 37" (now in my daughters room).
I went to have a look at a Phillips 42 lcd
42" Full HD, 1920x1080p, Pixel Precise, HD, Ambilight Spectra, HD Natural Motion, 80.000:1, 3ms,  100Hz Clear LCD.
More bells and whistles than the Rajdani express considering  the price, but alas I was seriously underwhelmed as it still had that pixilated  fuzz in the background.
Fortunately the salesman was a plasma freak and guided me over to a cheaper Panasonic tx-p42s10e
I was quite amazed, beautiful picture, a lovely tv for the money, for the first time  I could see background properly (I brought my own dvd).
There was a s10 model and a cheaper x10, the s10 was clearly better, or else they have you sussed out when you pass by that detector and program the tvs accordingly.
Back in the house,  for the real world test, I am a happy camper.

It took me 5 minutes to put in optimum custom settings, 4 minutes of that was searching the net for someone elses settings.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Main Street on June 29, 2009, 09:58:29 PM
I reached the stage where I got seriously fed up with my LCD, a  few years old Toshiba Rezka 37" (now in my daughters room).
42" Full HD, 1920x1080p, Pixel Precise, HD, Ambilight Spectra, HD Natural Motion, 80.000:1, 3ms,  100Hz Clear LCD.
More bells and whistles than the Rajdani express considering  the price, but alas I was seriously underwhelmed as it still had that pixilated  fuzz in the background.
Fortunately the salesman was a plasma freak and guided me over to a cheaper Panasonic tx-p42s10e
I was quite amazed, beautiful picture, a lovely tv for the money, for the first time  I could see background properly (I brought my own dvd).
There was a s10 model and a cheaper x10, the s10 was clearly better, or else they have you sussed out when you pass by that detector and program the tvs accordingly.

It took me 5 minutes to put in optimum custom settings, 4 minutes of that was searching the net for someone elses settings.

I'll be buying Panasonic next time round. The business.

ziggysego

I've a Panasonic. Great TV.
Testing Accessibility

lynchbhoy

the Panasonic tx-p42s10e s10 model you bought- was that LCD or plasma MS ?
The oul fella will be looking for a large telly (though the 42 "might be a tad large for him)

Also going off topic to fridges - anyone able to recommend the fisher & paykel fridges ?
Am in the market for a new one and she likes the look of these ...

hectorsheroes

Panasonic 32 inch lzd80 - best in the business by a mile. Top rated tv in which magazine as well - bought one at Christmas - simply superb for sound and picture

Tony Baloney

Quote from: lynchbhoy on June 30, 2009, 09:27:27 AM

The oul fella will be looking for a large telly (though the 42 "might be a tad large for him)

Also going off topic to fridges - anyone able to recommend the fisher & paykel fridges ?

Hard to justify paying over a grand for a box to keep the food and drink cold. But that's just me.

Main Street

Fridges would be on topic, thanks to Doggie Browser.

The Panasonic is a plasma, that's what the the P in P42 stands for..
http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/televisions/0,39030219,49302146,00.htm

If your Dad likes his sport, then plasma would be the grandstand premium ticket.
As I wrote, re the Panasonic Plasmas, the  P42X10  is not as good as the P42S10.
Panasonic do a 37" Plasma the  P37X10,
But IMO for a few quid more the  Panasonic TH37PX80  (newer processor) looked better than the P37X.
Other than that I have only had the Plasma for about 2 weeks. it looks better in a shaded room, at least not a room that has the sun coming in on the screen.
For LCDs I don´t know, the usual suspects are the latest from Samsung and Sony.
Best to go to a showroom, even if they have a 100 tvs  just concentrate on a few brands within the price range.
They leading brands all have a latest model within a price range.  
Usually the discounted tvs are the older models being replaced
LCD Samsungs 37"  and 32"  -  LE37A556  LE 32A558  are replaced by LE37B and LE32B
Newer model means newer processor etc

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Main Street on June 30, 2009, 11:20:56 AM

Fridges would be on topic, thanks to Doggie Browser.

The Panasonic is a plasma, that's what the the P in P42 stands for..
http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/televisions/0,39030219,49302146,00.htm

If your Dad likes his sport, then plasma would be the grandstand premium ticket.
As I wrote, re the Panasonic Plasmas, the  P42X10  is not as good as the P42S10.
Panasonic do a 37" Plasma the  P37X10,
But IMO for a few quid more the  Panasonic TH37PX80  (newer processor) looked better than the P37X.
Other than that I have only had the Plasma for about 2 weeks. it looks better in a shaded room, at least not a room that has the sun coming in on the screen.
For LCDs I don´t know, the usual suspects are the latest from Samsung and Sony.
Best to go to a showroom, even if they have a 100 tvs  just concentrate on a few brands within the price range.
They leading brands all have a latest model within a price range.  
Usually the discounted tvs are the older models being replaced
LCD Samsungs 37"  and 32"  -  LE37A556  LE 32A558  are replaced by LE37B and LE32B
Newer model means newer processor etc

Thaks MS
I bought a sony a year and a half ago - Sony bravo W series
Good but if sitting too close tothe TV , the picture is blurry/pixelated

However one great thing that I disdnt think about when buying the telly was that it has a matt screen - therefore the bright sunlight does not affect the picture.
I paid a fair bit for the Telly but would look at a panasonic or samsung for the oul lad now that I know that sony is pob not really worth the extra outlay !

Main Street

There is another option.
Would your Dad take your Sony?
And then you are in the market for a fuzz free  Plasma.
Should there be some rumblings from your Missus, I have a range of cast iron excuses that you can use.

The latest one, the strong EMF emanating from the LCD was giving me serious headaches.
Use a  "the Doctor said"   should it be needed.

Karl Kennedy

I am for buying a 2nd TV for the kitchen. I have decided to go for this TV as it's around £200 and dont want to spend much more. Credit crunch etc

Samsung LE22B450 22-inch Widescreen HD Ready LCD TV with Freeview

I am wondering with the switch over approaching do I need the freeview? or will I just get all the channels come the switch over.
Another thing is the freeview is not much use either because it cant be picked up in my area .

Any advice or help would be appreciated.

Karl Kennedy

I take it there are no TV experts out there to answer my query?? ??? ??? ???

Muzz

You need to have the freeview built in.  If you buy a tv that is not freeview compatible you will receive bugger all come the switch over.  However, by the time the switch over is completed in NI you will probably be buying a newer TV.

Karl Kennedy

Quote from: Muzz on August 05, 2009, 04:21:11 PM
You need to have the freeview built in.  If you buy a tv that is not freeview compatible you will receive bugger all come the switch over.  However, by the time the switch over is completed in NI you will probably be buying a newer TV.

Muzz do u reckon it'l be quite a while before the switch happens here in NI. Do u reckon by dat stage a newer tv will be the answer?