What TV to Buy

Started by galwayman, September 16, 2008, 05:13:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

playwiththewind1st

Argos were flogging HDMI cables for £5-6 just after Xmas. Dunno wot the going rate is at the minute.

Minder

Quote from: playwiththewind1st on February 09, 2009, 11:13:20 AM
Argos were flogging HDMI cables for £5-6 just after Xmas. Dunno wot the going rate is at the minute.

I got this bad boy a few weeks ago. Seems to be a good un......

http://www.play.com/Electronics/Electronics/4-/6014127/-/Product.html?searchstring=synn+hdmi&searchsource=0
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

girt_giggler

Ive bought a couple outa of game just, one was £10, other was £6, both do exact same thing.

Eoghan Mag

It has been determined recently that Plasma TVs take up to 4 more times energy to power over an LCD box. I had a Bush LCD that was very good but my model was known to have flaws in the chasis and this was what went bust with in in the end. It only lasted under 2 years. I replaced it with a Samsung LCD and it is not very good at all. I had a huge struggle getting the picture colour right on it. The stand that it comes with rocks alot when you push a cable into the rear of the set. I will steer well clear of the cheaper TV models after this.

ziggysego

Bought myself a Sony Bravia 40" KDL40V4000 1080P Digital LCD at the weekend for £599. Collecting it in a few weeks.
Testing Accessibility

Minder

Quote from: ziggysego on February 09, 2009, 03:51:03 PM
Bought myself a Sony Bravia 40" KDL40V4000 1080P Digital LCD at the weekend for £599. Collecting it in a few weeks.

Who did you buy it off Ziggy, Arthur Daley?
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

ziggysego

Quote from: Minder on February 09, 2009, 03:56:04 PM
Quote from: ziggysego on February 09, 2009, 03:51:03 PM

Who did you buy it off Ziggy, Arthur Daley?

:D Don't need the telly for a few weeks, so they're holding it for me :P

Testing Accessibility

isourboydownyet

in the tv trade myself and there is a hell of alot of crap out there,imo the sony range from v upwards is good stuff,i also like the panasonic plasma pz range.samsung are very much buget sets,picture ok with pretty poor sound,we brought in 50" samsungs and we had to return them as the sound quality was terrible.

ziggysego

Quote from: isourboydownyet on February 09, 2009, 04:04:24 PM
in the tv trade myself and there is a hell of alot of crap out there,imo the sony range from v upwards is good stuff,i also like the panasonic plasma pz range.samsung are very much buget sets,picture ok with pretty poor sound,we brought in 50" samsungs and we had to return them as the sound quality was terrible.

Aren't plasma's sore on energy and will soon be phased out?
Testing Accessibility

isourboydownyet

yes they can be but not as much as been reported,much top brands focus on LCD but panasonic are the only top brand who continue to develope and improve plasma,panasonic only make LCD up to 37" although after last week panasonic will be scaling down big time.

ziggysego

What about the model I got then? You being in the TV business and that.
Testing Accessibility

Muzz

I bought the same TV before christmas and got a free Sony Cinema System with it.  Brilliant TV Ziggy.  Definitely go for connecting any external devices via HDMI.  You fairly notice the difference.  If you have a sound system to go with it make sure and get an optical cable.  You wont be able to play TV through the sound system without the optical cable.  Also look around the net for calibration settings.  The default settings are decent enough and if I had never seen the calibration settings I would still have thought the quality of the picture was excellent but the calibration settings do make a difference.

ziggysego

Ah good man Muzz. Not getting a Cinema System just yet. Hope to down the line sometime though. Few extra expenses at the moment first.
Testing Accessibility

aontroim

Quote from: girt_giggler on September 18, 2008, 09:29:04 AM
Quote from: ziggysego on September 18, 2008, 08:44:51 AM
Did they leave it on all night?

No they weren't in the house, it was an afternoon & the TV was on standby

Show that post to Sammy Wilson - another good reason to air those TV commercial about switching off electrical appliances  ;D

bennydorano

Rang Sky try and buy a HD box.  Firstly was told by Sky - we only take your details someone will get back to you ???  Then received an e-mail later in the day saying it will be 3 months before they contact me to arrange installation ???  Must be huge demand.

Might try an rustle up something myself in the shed in the meantime.