GAA Integration Survey

Started by Harold Disgracey, December 18, 2007, 04:51:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harold Disgracey

I said on the Maze stadium survey thread a while ago that I was on the same course as stadiumsurvey and would be posting a GAA related survey.

I didn't get round to posting the link, I just emailed it around a few club mates.

The survey itself is not very important for the course, it was more about the process of designing and deploying an online survey.

Have a go and let me know what you think. I borrowed one of the questions from the GAA survey that is on the official site, I had something similar but decided to go with their question.

Here is the link:http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=1xwvzoGEsmm5EgJXET6I7g_3d_3d

TacadoirArdMhacha

Done the survey there Harold. Handy enough done and reasonably interesting subject.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

ziggysego

Did the survey there Harold. You should get the admin to put a sticky on this post.
Testing Accessibility

Lecale2

A bit misleading there Harold. I thought your Integration Survey was about Ladies Football and Camogie joining the GAA.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Good luck with that Harold, a worthwhile exercise.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

gerry

just completed it, hope all goes well
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

Harold Disgracey

Thanks for completing this lads, over 50 of you have done so.

I have done a little summary of the main findings, the results are very interesting!

Survey Results

94% of respondents were male and 6% were female.

35% of respondents were aged 25-34 years, 28% were 35-44, 26% were 16-24, 10% were aged 45-54 years and 2% were aged between 55 and 64 years.

Respondents were then asked whether they agreed or disagreed with a number of statements about the GAA.

The GAA plays an important part in promoting Irish identity and culture
94% of respondents agreed (73% strongly) and 6% neither agreed nor disagreed with the statement.

In a changing world the GAA remains an important part of Ireland's heritage
98% of respondents agreed (69% strongly) and 2% disagreed with the statement.

The GAA has become more dynamic in recent years
92% of respondents agreed (28% strongly) and 8% neither agreed nor disagreed with the statement.

The GAA has a duty to promote the Irish language
66% of respondents agreed (37% strongly), 20% neither agreed nor disagreed and 14% disagreed (8% strongly) with the statement.

The GAA is an example of an organisation that reflects the Irish People and gives them a sense of identity
88% of respondents agreed (51% strongly), 8% neither agreed nor disagreed and 4% disagreed with the statement.

The GAA is an inclusive organisation that welcomes all members of society
57% of respondents agreed (15% strongly), 23% neither agreed nor disagreed and 20% disagreed (8% strongly) with the statement.

The GAA are old fashioned and not in tune with modern Ireland
63% of respondents disagreed (18% strongly), 22% neither agreed nor disagreed and 10% agreed with the statement. Six percent of respondents said they didn't know.

Respondents were then asked whether or not they would personally welcome more Protestants joining their club. 98% of respondents stated they would welcome more Protestants joining their club and 2% said they would not.

65% of respondents thought that the playing of the National Anthem at games was a barrier to more Protestants/Unionists joining the GAA. Equal proportions of respondents (63% in each case) thought that the Nationalist ethos of the organisation and the flying of the tricolour at games were barriers. 59% thought that the naming of clubs/grounds after Nationalist heroes was a barrier and a small proportion of respondents (12%) thought the playing of games on a Sunday was a barrier.

80% of respondents thought the GAA should make more of an effort to encourage more Protestants/Unionists to join the Association, 12% thought the GAA should not and 8% did not know.

Respondents were then asked what steps they thought the GAA should take to try and encourage more Protestants/Unionists to participate in GAA activities. 98% of respondents said the GAA should send coaches into Protestant (State) schools, 94% thought the GAA should stage 'Have a go' days. 39% stated the GAA should change the Nationalist ethos and focus on being a solely sporting body, 37% of respondents stated the practice of naming clubs and grounds after Nationalist heroes should be stopped. .Smaller numbers of respondents said stop playing the National Anthem before games (18%) and establish Protestant only clubs and leagues (4%).

Respondents were then asked what they thought about the media coverage of the GAA in Northern Ireland. More than two-thirds of respondents (69%) thought the coverage was poor or very poor, 12% thought it was neither good nor poor and 10% said the media coverage was good or very good. 9% of respondents did not know. The vast majority of those who stated the media coverage was poor or very poor cited the apparent lack of coverage afforded to the GAA in comparison to other lesser attended sports as the reason for their answer.

Respondents were then asked if they had any further comments or suggestions. A selection of the responses is shown below:

"Encourage the Cumman Na mBunscoil competition in protestant schools"

"The GAA should be promoting Irish culture, Irish heritage, Irish identity and Irish language, but it should not promote Irish Nationalism or Catholicism. Religion should be irrelevant to the GAA, as should political borders. The GAA should build on the fact that we're all Irish, but acknowledge and respect that some also regard themselves as British"

"Every press release, distribution of material etc should make clear that everyone is welcome, even if they are not currently participating"

I feel that the reason many Protestants/Unionists have little to do with the GAA is more to do with how any interest would be perceived in their community rather than any actual gripe with the GAA"

"Perhaps it's time to revisit the preamble to the GAA Official Guide, specifically to update the content to reflect the modern political reality"

"It would be a good idea if the GAA got cross community funding to commission an academic report on its perception and steps needed to make it appear less sectarian. At the same time, it needs to challenge latent sectarianism against it, particularly its omission form NI state schools. Even integrated schools don't give it the level of attention its popularity deserves"

"I think the protestant community perceived the GAA (in the past) as a gathering of potential IRA activists and yet the truth of the matter is that the majority of genuine GAA people were as anti armed struggle as anyone."

"Free tickets for youngsters into top games in Croke Park, etc."

"Any member who abuses a fellow member for their race or religion should have a 2 to 5 year ban"

"The GAA needs to promote itself as an international sports body and not just an Irish sports body"

Rav67

I actually said that the nationalist ethos is a barrier to Protestants playing, as it would be used by bigots to criticise a Protestant from playing and therefore put them off.  However, the lack of participation among Protestants is a societal problem first and foremost, its not really something the GAA should be taking responsibility for.  The GAA should never be 'only' a sporting body, its history is rooted in nationalism and pride in our culture.  This should always be maintained while maintaining an environment where everyone in society feels comfortable in participating.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Thanks for the summary Harold, interesting, and hope you get a fair quota of respondents before it terminates.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...