Tipperary v Mayo, Round 2 Qualifier, Semple Stafium. 23/6/18.

Started by Mayo4Sam14, June 11, 2018, 10:50:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shark

Quote from: Gael85 on June 12, 2018, 04:44:49 PM
Quote from: shark on June 12, 2018, 04:40:19 PM
I don't think you'll find anyone who thinks Tipp or Clare are in the top 8 in the country. At least I haven't heard it said. Getting to the last 8, and being top 8 are not the same thing as you can be lucky/unlucky with the draw(s). To say they are both top 16 teams doesn't overrate them in my opinion. But as has been said time and time again, once you get outside the top 4/5 teams there is not much between the next 15 or so.
For the future Tipp seem better placed to become a (consistent) top 8 team, but they will still find it very difficult. As mentioned above hurling is number one in both counties. Kennedy and the McGrath's would make some difference for Tipp (there are no doubt others too). Likewise Podge Collins and Conor Cleary for Clare.

Conor McGrath and Cathal McInerney are probably 2 best club footballers in Clare but hurling is their priority.

Good point. Never thought of them

Gael85

Quote from: larryin89 on June 12, 2018, 04:43:11 PM
Quote from: Blowitupref on June 12, 2018, 04:24:30 PM
Quote from: rosnarun on June 12, 2018, 04:16:41 PM
deep down no one rate clare or tipp as football teams. did anyone in mayo go 'oh damn' when they heard we fot Tipp and dispite theyre good showing  last year against mayo  no one would have been too worried had we got them again.
Like no one will consider this a  a great mayo team until next September no one will realy have any worries about tipp or clare till they beat a proper good team
Tipp beat Galway something Mayo haven't been able to do in their last 3 championship games. Clare biggest win was against Roscommon in 2016 they wouldn't have won that game if the rossies had extra week or two to prepare for that game IMO.

Yeah I suppose that's true or Mayo knocked Kerry out of the championship last year , when did tipp last do that .

larryin89

Quote from: Gael85 on June 12, 2018, 04:47:35 PM
deep down no one rate clare or tipp as football teams. did anyone in mayo go 'oh damn' when they heard we fot Tipp and dispite theyre good showing  last year against mayo  no one would have been too worried had we got them again.
Like no one will consider this a  a great mayo team until next September no one will realy have any worries about tipp or clare till they beat a proper good team
Tipp beat Galway something Mayo haven't been able to do in their last 3 championship games. Clare biggest win was against Roscommon in 2016 they wouldn't have won that game if the rossies had extra week or two to prepare for that game IMO.

Yeah I suppose that's true or Mayo knocked Kerry out of the championship last year , when did tipp last do that .

My point was we all including myself and more Mayo people besides tend to forget the achievements of this present team . Every year since 2013 I've been thinking they are finished and bang they go again , I haven't a clue how capable they are this year of having another crack at it but I'm going to have to stop writing them off and credit them for what they are doing.

I mean if Mayo end up in an all Ireland final again  , wtf like it's unbelievable achievement
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Gael85

Quote from: Jinxy on June 12, 2018, 09:57:52 AM
Tipperary and Clare have to be the two most overrated teams in the country.

Have to disagree especially about Clare. It achievement for them to survive in Division 2 considering that they struggled in D4 up to 5/6 years ago. Some of the best club players in county are involved with hurlers. Others wont commit, Kilmurray Ibrickane the dominant club team for last 15 years only have one panel on county panel. West Clare the heartland of football is struggling with immigration. Kilkee and Kilrush are competing in the intermediate grade,Doonbeg not far behind as have to amalgamate at juvenile level. Unlike Tipp Clare have no success at minor/u21 level. What they do have is a quality manager in Colm Collins who gets the best out what they have. Gary Brennan, Jamie Malone and Eoin Cleary would make any intercounty team.

Tipp have the credentials to be a top team. They have the football and physicality but self belief seems to be their issue. Until they beat a division one team they won't get the recognition.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: Gael85 on June 12, 2018, 04:42:21 PM

Easy to use that excuse now. That was Clare third game in 20 days at the time with a very pool of players. They were promoted against the odds that year against Roscommon who made semi final of Division 1

In fairness it was also Roscommon 3rd game in as many days and they didn't have the momentum of winning instead they were off the back of a 11 point beating.

Extra time for Tipp to prepare and recover from their trimming should be a help for this game but worrying for them is with loads of momentum v Mayo in 2016 they still lost by 5 points

Cunny Funt

Quote from: larryin89 on June 12, 2018, 04:56:55 PM
Quote from: Gael85 on June 12, 2018, 04:47:35 PM

My point was we all including myself and more Mayo people besides tend to forget the achievements of this present team . Every year since 2013 I've been thinking they are finished and bang they go again , I haven't a clue how capable they are this year of having another crack at it but I'm going to have to stop writing them off and credit them for what they are doing.

I mean if Mayo end up in an all Ireland final again  , wtf like it's unbelievable achievement
As it stands Mayo are expected to reach the super 8 (check odds) and once there the expectation will be to reach another All Ireland final especially if paired in the same group as Dublin and avoid them in the semi final.

Kerry another challenger have gone with youth that might work or backfire as for the rest Donegal,Galway,Tyrone etc I would consider any of them reaching this years AI final as unbelievable achievement .

seafoid

I have the impression that Tipp didn't really kick on from 2016 . They were mediocre enough last year in the qfs.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Captain Obvious

Quote from: seafoid on June 12, 2018, 05:25:00 PM
I have the impression that Tipp didn't really kick on from 2016 . They were mediocre enough last year in the qfs.
They haven't and were real lucky to be playing division 2 football this year at all.

Gael85

Quote from: Cunny Funt on June 12, 2018, 05:12:56 PM
Quote from: Gael85 on June 12, 2018, 04:42:21 PM

Easy to use that excuse now. That was Clare third game in 20 days at the time with a very pool of players. They were promoted against the odds that year against Roscommon who made semi final of Division 1

In fairness it was also Roscommon 3rd game in as many days and they didn't have the momentum of winning instead they were off the back of a 11 point beating.

Extra time for Tipp to prepare and recover from their trimming should be a help for this game but worrying for them is with loads of momentum v Mayo in 2016 they still lost by 5 points

Yeah but Roscommon had a much bigger panel and were able make 3/4 changes for Clare team. Clare had the same 20/21 lads.

Michael Quinlivan will need to be top of his game the next day. He didn't score off Keegan in 2016 game but was fouled 5/6 times by him.

Gael85

They rely on Quinlivan and he wasn't 100% fit against Armagh after getting injured against Cork. Peter Acheson was huge loss too.

Syferus

Quote from: Captain Obvious on June 12, 2018, 05:30:42 PM
They haven't and were real lucky to be playing division 2 football this year at all.

They were a stray kick of a ball away from being promoted to D1 this spring. Your narrative would read very differently but for that.

Some have a constantly moving goalpost as to what 'kicking on' even means. Monaghan, a media darling for supposedly establishing themselves at a high level, own losses to the likes of Down, Longford and Fermanagh in the championship and haven't even been particularly competitive in the AIQFs they have reached. It's all a matter of perspective and how you choose to look at the dataset.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Gael85 on June 12, 2018, 05:36:37 PM

They rely on Quinlivan and he wasn't 100% fit against Armagh after getting injured against Cork. Peter Acheson was huge loss too.

To say they 'rely' on Quinlivan is a bit harsh in that he's probably one of the best forwards in the game, and if we was on any other team in the country he'd be a major cog, in my opinion. But they do have scoring forwards in Conor Sweeney and Liam McGrath too, with a decent supporting cast from the half forward and half back lines. So yes, Quinlivan is very important, and if you shut him down it's a major blow to Tipperary, but they are not a one man band in the forward line.

seafoid

Quote from: Syferus on June 12, 2018, 05:41:59 PM

They were a stray kick of a ball away from being promoted to D1 this spring. Your narrative would read very differently but for that.

Some have a constantly moving goalpost as to what 'kicking on' even means. Monaghan, a media darling for supposedly establishing themselves at a high level, own losses to the likes of Down, Longford and Fermanagh in the championship and haven't even been particularly competitive in the AIQFs they have reached. It's all a matter of perspective and how you choose to look at the dataset.
Monaghan and Tyrone have been disappointing in that regard. Nobody really broke through to the top 4 in the last few years.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Gael85

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 12, 2018, 06:01:52 PM
Quote from: Gael85 on June 12, 2018, 05:36:37 PM

To say they 'rely' on Quinlivan is a bit harsh in that he's probably one of the best forwards in the game, and if we was on any other team in the country he'd be a major cog, in my opinion. But they do have scoring forwards in Conor Sweeney and Liam McGrath too, with a decent supporting cast from the half forward and half back lines. So yes, Quinlivan is very important, and if you shut him down it's a major blow to Tipperary, but they are not a one man band in the forward line.

Quinlivan is vital cog in that he go out to midfield/half forward and win a ball when nothing comes into FF line. He was hampered with that injury last year against Armagh and nobody stood up. The others 5 forwards only scored 0-3 from play between them. Will John McGrath or Seamus Kennedy be called up for Mayo game?

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Syferus on June 12, 2018, 05:41:59 PM

Division 2 was average at best this year Fermanagh would have gained promotion if in it. Monaghan won two provincial titles and I would give them a far chance of beating Mayo than Tipperary who haven't got close to winning a provincial title with this group of players.