Leinster SFC Westmeath V Longford

Started by AN other, May 08, 2007, 09:42:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaurelEye

Quote from: Billys Boots on May 10, 2007, 02:10:09 PM
QuotePerhaps a lesson in humility being dished out to Mrs. Barden's youngest son by Dempsey and Rowley.

I wish them luck.  ;)

Probably a little bit harsh, Billy, although his league performances wouldn't have guaranteed selection anyway.

However, this is a team announced on Wednesday night for the following Sunday. There's no guarantees that there may not be changes due to injuries, etc. So the youngest Barden might yet start.

Having said that, I was talking to someone on Tuesday evening who was talking to someone who is on the team and the 15 named last night were the 15 who were named to me in the event that the appeal was lost. So it's probably a genuine enough team barring unexpected injuries between now and Sunday 2pm.
Leader Cup winners: 1945, 1947, 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 2013, 2016, 2017, 2019, 2021, 2023.

Billys Boots

Does that mean Podgie is starting top-of-right?
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

LaurelEye

Quote from: Billys Boots
Does that mean Podgie is starting top-of-right?

Where did you get that from?

Full -forward line is Dowd, our boy and Kavanagh.
Leader Cup winners: 1945, 1947, 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 2013, 2016, 2017, 2019, 2021, 2023.

Billys Boots

I had assumed we'd have a third midfielder in the mix alright, but wasn't sure if it'd be Dowd or Smullen.  Tension building now, with Michéal making the neighbours favourites!
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

LaurelEye

Quote from: Billys BootsI had assumed we'd have a third midfielder in the mix alright, but wasn't sure if it'd be Dowd or Smullen.  Tension building now, with Michéal making the neighbours favourites!

Good....

Croí na hÉireann

Dolan returns for Westmeath

Dessie Dolan has recovered from a shoulder injury in time to lead Westmeath against Longford in Sunday's Leinster SFC first round clash at Pearse Park.

The former All-Star has carried the injury for the past three weeks, but has been declared fit to take his place in the team at centre forward.

Last year's minor Kieran Gavin is the only championship debutant and has been named at left half back after an impressive National League campaign. The Mullingar Shamrocks youngster was given the nod ahead of Derek Heavin, who is rumoured to have had a falling out with the management.

David O'Shaughnessy has also recovered from a knee injury and the 2004 Leinster championship captain will partner Martin Flanagan at midfield. Flanagan will be starting his first championship since 2003 when, ironically, the current Longford manager Luke Dempsey was in charge.

Overall, it's an experienced Westmeath team with the likes of Gary Connaughton, John Keane, Damien Healy, Michael Ennis, Fergal Wilson and Denis Glennon all expected to figure prominently.

Westmeath (SF v Longford): G Connaughton; F Boyle, D O'Donoghue, J Keane; D Healy, M Ennis, K Gavin; M Flanagan, D O'Shaughnessy; F Wilson, D Dolan, J Smyth; A Mangan, P Bannon, D Glennon.

Jaysus I don't know who to be more angry with, Heavin for playing a club game a week before the championship when everyone was under orders not to or O'Flaherta for imposing with an iron fist. Actually O'Flaherta just shades it by including Smyth in the half forwards. A gobshite once said that "Tyrone will never win an AI with Brian Dooher", well we will win fcuk all this year with Smyth starting. Nothing against the lad, tries hard in patches but he's not intercounty material. He knows he's gonna end up being the first person substituted and that is hardly gonna help the confidence. In his last outing in Cusack Park he was too afraid to go for a score when it was on, a quality in a forward that borders on criminal imho. Jaysus, I was hoping for an impact sub from the bench, I wasn't counting on having three of them on there. Rant over.

Not overly excited at Bannon at full forward either, maybe he will be a third midfielder. No idea how the forwards will actually line out apart from Willo and Smyth who will probably stay on the wings. Relief that Dessie and Shaugho are back anyway. Can't wait to see Heals back in his best position, should run the legs off his man.

C'mon The West!!!
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

turk

Hey Croí - Smyth was Westmeath's most effective forward in their last championship outing. He scored from play and got booked where as Dessie was the only other lad to score from play but didn't get booked!!

Iarmhí Abú

Tension building now!!  Not impressed with the Heavin thing.  I expect a tight game but hope Dessie can make the difference.  I'm worried about the Luke factor.  There is no doubt that '04 was 80% attributable to Dempsey and his ability to motivate a team that is behind him is second to none.

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: turk on May 11, 2007, 12:14:16 PM
Hey Croí - Smyth was Westmeath's most effective forward in their last championship outing. He scored from play and got booked where as Dessie was the only other lad to score from play but didn't get booked!!

Was away for that game (fortunately as it turned out). I believe he's doing well in challenge games at the moment but during the league he was less than abysmal. I hope O'Flaherta is proved right with his team selection.

QuoteThere is no doubt that '04 was 80% attributable to Dempsey and his ability to motivate a team that is behind him is second to none.

80% is a bit high there IA, groundwork 100% yes.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

AN other

I can't believe O'Flaherta has included Smyth. Perhaps he has been doing well in challenge matches, and hopefully he'll prove people wrong, but he didn't do it once during the league, where he had too many chances to impress. I wonder what odds one would get on him being the first player to be substituted on Sunday....
As for the Heavin debacle, if it weren't for O'Flaherta's reputation as a bit of a stubborn/thick sort, I would probably be alot angrier with Heavin than I am, assuming the rumours of him throwing jerseys are ture. Throwing a jersey is nothing but a pettulant, attention seeking exercise. Heavin may be a good solid player, but he's not what one would call a "star", and is not in a position to ignore managerial orders.
I do however think that players should be allowed play in league and championship games for their clubs and it is the county boards responsibility to make this happen. If a manager had the best interests of the countys football at heart, he would try to ensure this happens.
Even before a ball is kicked in this years championship, I predict that O'Flaherta will be gone next year and I don't think I'll be overly disappointed to see his tenure come to an end.
As for the rest of the team....
Alot will depend on Flanagan and O'Shaughnessey in the middle and how they will last the pace. Flanagan is ageing and didn't appear to have the stamina during the league, while O'Shaughnessey can't be fully fit having been out for some time. Winning this area is likely to be vital as the forwards on show are possibly the weakest we've had in quite some time, the inclusion of Smyth says it all in my view...
In contrast though, I think our defence is the strongest it's been in quite some time, and Kieran Gavin isn't a bad replacement for Heavin. He has added a bit more to our defensive options, as Francis Boyle started to do last year, and continued this. In time, Boyle may turn out as valuable to Westmeath as Keane has been the last few years.
It's not an ideal way to approach the championship, with rifts going on between squad members and management, and with rain forecast for Sunday it's not going to help either team...

Shamrock Shore

I always dream the Friday night before a big game about the match and usually I get the actual winner correct.

I'll post my dream results tomorrow morning.

Shamrock Shore

Amazingly I dreamt about a narrow win over Dublin in the Leinster final!

Squeaky bum time with under 2 hours to go.

Maroon Heaven

Well f**king done Westmeath.

f**king joke. A disgrace.
an 8 point lead for f**k sake

Shamrock Shore

armaghniac

QuoteI always dream the Friday night before a big game about the match and usually I get the actual winner correct.

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B