Farming.

Started by Family guy, September 13, 2012, 09:58:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Family guy

Is there any farmersr on this???Was chatting to a fella the day and he was telling me to get in2 farming now as it is a good time to get in as theres bad prices for cows.I wouldnt know the front end to the back end of a cow,but is there much till the old farming??

laoislad

It's always a good time to be a farmer.
There is no such thing as a poor farmer,though they will all try their damnedest to convince you they are poor.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Family guy

Quote from: laoislad on September 13, 2012, 10:13:15 PM
It's always a good time to be a farmer.
There is no such thing as a poor farmer,though they will all try their damnedest to convince you they are poor.

Thats what i was thinking,they cry poverty yet they all drive about in new crew cabs and pick ups

Farrandeelin

Earlier on in the year the cattle prices were sky high as exports and haulage seemed to want them. The prices have dropped a fair bit over the past month however. Saying that, it's gone on and there's always jobs to be done. And it didn't crash like the building boom.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Tony Baloney

Nobody poor mouths quite like a farmer. Single farm payment, grants from every Tom, Dick and Harry, driving about on the red, VAT reclaims, full child tax credits... There isn't a stroke farmers don't know.

theticklemister

Quote from: Family guy on September 13, 2012, 09:58:01 PM
Is there any farmersr on this???Was chatting to a fella the day and he was telling me to get in2 farming now as it is a good time to get in as theres bad prices for cows.I wouldnt know the front end to the back end of a cow,but is there much till the old farming??

I don't think ye can 'get into' farming mucker!!!!!!!! I think its one of those things thats in the blood and family.......... and if ye don't know the front or back end of a cow..................what about a sheep............ You see where i'm going here!!

Leave the farming to the farmers; I reckon it is more tricky than meets the eye!!

Syferus

Quote from: theticklemister on September 14, 2012, 12:36:27 AM

I don't think ye can 'get into' farming mucker!!!!!!!! I think its one of those things thats in the blood and family.......... and if ye don't know the front or back end of a cow..................what about a sheep............ You see where i'm going here!!

Leave the farming to the farmers; I reckon it is more tricky than meets the eye!!

Leave the sheep out of this.

cadence

on the fish-out-of-water angle.... does ireland have upper middle class types who'd like nothing as much as a wee plot of land to grow a few pigs, some organic veggies, a la hugh fearnley-whittingstall? i can't see it myself. 

Jonah

How do you grow pigs? Is there special seeds you can get?

johnneycool

Quote from: cadence on September 14, 2012, 08:38:56 AM
on the fish-out-of-water angle.... does ireland have upper middle class types who'd like nothing as much as a wee plot of land to grow a few pigs, some organic veggies, a la hugh fearnley-whittingstall? i can't see it myself.

I think its not as easy as all that now. I think due to farm quality regulations a farmer can't sell you livestock unless you've got your own herd book and they're issued by the department of agriculture (or whatever they're called now), traceability and all that.

cadence

Quote from: Jonah on September 14, 2012, 08:45:12 AM
How do you grow pigs? Is there special seeds you can get?

;D i have obviously no idea, although i do think this sheep needs someone to talk to...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIaFtAKnqBU&feature=player_embedded

cadence

Quote from: johnneycool on September 14, 2012, 08:54:06 AM
Quote from: cadence on September 14, 2012, 08:38:56 AM

I think its not as easy as all that now. I think due to farm quality regulations a farmer can't sell you livestock unless you've got your own herd book and they're issued by the department of agriculture (or whatever they're called now), traceability and all that.

escaping to the country, but not from the bureaucracy. aside from these challenges, it's the know-how to grow pigs etc that a beginner might find they would need brushing up on?

brokencrossbar1

http://www.dalehead.co.uk/about-us/farms/pigs/opportunities/?gclid=CKqg7dPQtLICFeTHtAodeT0Ajg

Contact these boys I reckon and you get a ready made pig-farm!!!

cadence

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on September 14, 2012, 09:18:18 AM

http://www.dalehead.co.uk/about-us/farms/pigs/opportunities/?gclid=CKqg7dPQtLICFeTHtAodeT0Ajg

i will not! animals are too cute and they get grown and sent away to be killed. def not the message that babe, or babe: pig in the city was about.

NAG1

Quote from: cadence on September 14, 2012, 09:52:50 AM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on September 14, 2012, 09:18:18 AM

i will not! animals are too cute and they get grown and sent away to be killed. def not the message that babe, or babe: pig in the city was about.

I think if you watch Babe again, you will find that's exactly what the message was! Only that Babe was such an exceptional pig he was spared the butchers knife.

That'll do pig, that'll do  ;)