galway

Started by leenie, November 07, 2009, 01:12:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

leenie

myself and maggie  are heading away soon on a well deserved break and we have chosen galway...

neither of us have ever been...

deciding between the Ardilaun Hotel or Clayton Hotel?   any advice?

also where is the best place    to go on fri nite and sat nite....?

what is the shopping like?

is there any talent ?

etc etc.....

cheers................ ;)
I'm trying to decide on a really meaningful message..

Zapatista

Le Paradis for a great night out.

GalwayBayBoy

The Ardilaun is out in Taylor's Hill. The Clayton near Ballybrit I think. Don't know much about either of them to be honest although the Ardilaun has been around for years. Ardiluan is in the west of the city. Clayton in the east but they are probably similiar distances from the city centre.

Just go down Quay Street at the bottom of Shop Street when you're looking to go out. Probably over a dozen bars and pubs within 3 minutes of each other. Front Door, Busker Brown's, King's Head, The Dail, Quays, Kelly's, Dew Drop Inn, Spanish Arch Hotel, Tigh Neachtain's, Townhouse Bar, etc. Some of them have late licenses at weekends. If you want to go clubbing probably Halo on Abbeygate Street.

If you're more into the alternative scene you'd want to go down Dominick Street on the west side (about 5 minute walk from Quay Street) where you have pubs like Roisin Dubh's, Blue Note, Bierhaus, Massimo's and Monroe's.

Shopping and talent I can't help you with. ;)

Rossie11

Both hotels are miles from the action. Clayton is a top hotel but you are looking at
15euro each way in a cab from town.
Should look at staying closer to town like the Harbour or Jurys.

Follows GBBs lead for the pubs... throw in a visit to Taffes mid afternoon on the saturday.
Few pints looking out at the rain cant be beaten...

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Take Your Points on November 07, 2009, 06:43:17 PM
Bad decision. Galway must rank as the rip-off capital of rip-off Ireland.  Lovely place but they charge way over the top for everything!  Bring plenty of yo yos.

Dublin is a lot more expensive than Galway. I should know I've lived in both. Hotels in Galway are not cheap though because they get so many tourists they probably feel they can charge those rates. That said if you look hard enough you can find perfectly reasonable accomodation on the cheap. As for drink well drink is expensive pretty much everywhere these days bar some pubs out the country.

galwayman

GalwayBayBoy has given good advice so far.
Down around Quay Street has some good pubs. Both of the hotels mentioned are nice but are not within walking distance of the city centre. For a similar standard hotel - The Radisson is lovely and much more central. You can walk to and from your nights out if staying here.
Of the 2 mentioned - I would go for the Ardilaun. It is in a nicer area and is close to Salthill which is nice for a visit and a few drinks.
For cheaper options - as Rossie11 said Jurys and the Harbour hotel would be good bets as they are close to the general Quay Street area.
There's plenty of talent around the pubs and Halo is by far the best nightclub in Galway.Lot of hot women in there.
Shopping isn't up to much in Galway I'm afraid - Shop Street is the main street in the centre of the city and has some shopping on it but it has an average enough selection.

leenie

Quote from: galwayman on November 07, 2009, 07:28:34 PM

There's plenty of talent around the pubs and Halo is by far the best nightclub in Galway.Lot of hot women in there.
Shopping isn't up to much in Galway I'm afraid - Shop Street is the main street in the centre of the city and has some shopping on it but it has an average enough selection.

wouldn't be what we are looking for........

thanks for the advice lads

was looking up the harbour it looks a good....

Canalman

Try the Radisson just behind the Railway station. A tad pricey but great location and a great breakfast. They didn't check room no's for the breakfast  when I was there last so you may not need to pay in advance for it (we did by the way). Full of hen parties.

Not a fan of Galway by any means......... Dublin prices and the smuggest of people. You will be told a million times by them  how "great" the place is. A few nice pubs and that's it.
Use it as a base only imo to tour Connemara/The Burren.

Caid

When my country takes her place among the nations of the earth...then may my epitaph be written

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Canalman on November 08, 2009, 02:52:06 PM
Try the Radisson just behind the Railway station. A tad pricey but great location and a great breakfast. They didn't check room no's for the breakfast  when I was there last so you may not need to pay in advance for it (we did by the way). Full of hen parties.

Not a fan of Galway by any means......... Dublin prices and the smuggest of people. You will be told a million times by them  how "great" the place is. A few nice pubs and that's it.
Use it as a base only imo to tour Connemara/The Burren.

So so true about the smugness.

If you see this sign you are going the right direction  ;D

Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

maggie

surprised by the lack of love for galway-thought it was a good place to go.
maybe we should head to mayo instead

leenie

i dunno about mayo... went last yr..

hmmm wonder if we should go elsewhere...

any suggestions?

still think i'd like to check out galway... surely some ppl like it!

The Real Laoislad

You'll Never Walk Alone.

RedandGreenSniper

Ah go to Galway girls. Its a great spot in my opinion. A city I will never tire of going to. So many great pubs and clubs.

Hotel wise the lads are right - Jurys or the Harbour in is your best job. If you really want to treat yourselves then go to the Rad.

There's three good areas in terms of pubs. GBB is right about the Quay Street area - a great spot. Freaney's is a personal favourite of ours. Good, old fashioned place for a few early drinks. Taaffe's is great too but nearly always wedged. Dail Bar, the Quays, Busker Browns, Front Door, Kings Head and Naughton's are all good spots in their own way.

Students will love the area around the Hole in the Wall.McSwiggan's and the Goalposts at Woodquay and then Dominick Street is great for live music - a trip to the Roisin Dubh is a must.

Night club wise there's plenty to pick from. Halo is head and shoulders above all others as far as I'm concerned. But Cuba is good if you're into live acts or alternative music.

Shopping? Can't pretend to know much. But there are two centres - the Eyre Square Centre in the town and then, ten minutes walk away, the Galway Shopping Centre at the Headford Road roundabout.

For food there are plenty of small and homely little cafe's and eateries. I love the Coach Potato on Abbeygate Street (just down from Halo and CP nightclubs). But the best place of the lot is Tamarand at the Spanish Arch (just opposite Jury's Inn). If you love Oriental food, particularly Thai, you've fall head over heels in love with this place. Top class.

And during the day there's loads of lovely walks around the city. But there's a chance it might rain!
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

Denn Forever

Galway is a joke I never got but loads of people think its funny ???
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...