Priory Hall - Construction practices

Started by ballela-angel, October 20, 2011, 04:20:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ballela-angel

Folks,
I just watched Prime Time on the internet and was shocked to hear how the inspection/certification of a building like Priory Hall was done - I worked in construction in Ireland, both north and south, through to the mid-1970's and admit that I am totally out of touch with current practices there as I've been in the States since then involved in construction of commercial buildings - And Priory Hall would be classified as a commercial building here as it's a multi-family building - I suspect that regulations differ north to south and possibly city to city, or maybe even county to county and I would be interested to hear from you folks how it works in the different jurisdictions - To start the discussion here's how it's done here in the state of Vermont for the building (The process for the site development is a separate process) - Plans (structural, architectural, mechanical and electrical) are submitted to the state department of public safety by the designer and these are reviewed and approved before any construction of any kind can start, which includes overall site work – Periodically during construction, an inspector from the department of public safety inspects the building progress and ALWAYS conducts a final inspection where fire rated labels on doors, electrical equipment and appliances, life safety systems (fire alarm, sprinkler etc.) are fully inspected and proven to be fully operational before a final certificate of occupancy is granted – If any of the items are not in compliance, the certificate is not issued, unless it is very minor, in which case a conditional certificate of occupancy is granted and a re-inspection is scheduled and is subsequently carried out – Would love to hear your feedback
That awkward moment - Not sure if you do have free time or if you're just forgetting everything!