Happy 29th Birthday Puckoon - Thursday 5th November

Started by ziggysego, November 05, 2008, 02:15:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

maggie

well have a good one-you have 2 more years to enjoy before you are in the depths of despair like LL

leenie

I'm trying to decide on a really meaningful message..

youngfella

Pull hard and early

magickingdom

Puckoon

THank you sir, I wish I still was in school. Change of plans for the birthday celebrations our entire lab just got sacked this morning. Boss has abandoned us and 8 futures (4students) are up in the air.

thewingedlady

Good man Puck, hard to believe you were only 26 when I ran into you  :D!

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Take Your Points on November 05, 2008, 07:26:41 PM
Happy birthday Puck!

Bad enough turning 50 last month without finding out you're 28, it only seems like yesterday that you were sitting in school.

tell us a couple of stories typ. 
preferably about him wetting himself or crying or getting beat up by girls, anything along those lines.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

ziggysego

Quote from: lynchbhoy on November 05, 2008, 05:29:05 PM
hope to god ziggy isnt stalking you now...hes overloaded with hormones this past couple of weeks it seems !
:o
:D

No amount of hormone overload would turn me.

Sorry Puck  :-*
Testing Accessibility

FL/MAYO

Puckoon

Quote from: DirtyDozen12 on November 05, 2008, 10:29:14 PM
Why is it that everyone wishes everyone a happy brithday??  Im going to do the opposite!!

Puck - have a brutal birthday...i hope you get jumpers and socks for preents  ;D

Jeez - if id known your predictions were going to be right - Id have asked you to wish that I won the lotto or something.

Not lost my feckin job on my birthday - you hewer. :o

Tyrones own

Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

J70

Quote from: Puckoon on November 05, 2008, 07:44:28 PM
THank you sir, I wish I still was in school. Change of plans for the birthday celebrations our entire lab just got sacked this morning. Boss has abandoned us and 8 futures (4students) are up in the air.

f**k!

Are you postdoc now?

If you're still a grad, your university surely has to provide alternative supervision, don't they?

Happy birthday, for what its worth! :(

Puckoon

I wish I was TO - boss has just decided he is through with science, and is leaving for Korea in the morning. Does not know when or if he will be back

Our lab is being taken over by the chairman of the department - and everyone has until early 09 to move on. Not enough time for the students to finish, and the post docs - well they are all out on their ear. The chairman wants none of them to stay on.

My program has to provide some alternative course of action, although Ive been offered a masters degree, and at this juncture it sounds very tempting. That said, Ive come too far to "just" settle for a masters (without in any offending a masters degree).

Ive decided to stay in reno, and the job opportunities are a little more niched if I have a PhD, than just say a masters. Id really hate to be over qualified for something Id like to do, like teach or sell pharmaceuticals.

So Ive to weigh up my options and decide later this week what I want to do.

Ive had a tough ride with my boss, and him and the chairman were good friends - so I dont particularly want to go work for the chairman (if he would even help me, he's never there).

There is another professor who I am very friendly with - but he and my boss have had conflicts of interest (i.e. working on the same projects - my project! for years). He would love to have me, and would help me - Im just not sure why I still feel some sense of allegience to a professor who basically took us all into the lab this morning and told us he was abandoning ship.

J70

To hell with loyalty to your former advisor: he dumped you at a second's notice! If this other guy will take you on and get you finished, then go for it! Put yourself first - your former boss certainly did. I presume the department will have no issue, will they? What about funding? Does that go with your former advisor, or are you on your own grant (assuming you're funded)?

As for the PhD, I wouldn't worry about being overqualified if you want to teach. You'll need it, at a minimum, to teach third level, and most high schools would probably be only too happy to take on a teacher with a doctorate, particularly given the shortage of science teachers in the US. I can't speak to the pharmaceutical option, as I don't know what kind of job you're thinking of. Overqualification can be a problem for certain jobs, but you can make your case in interviews, assuming it doesn't turn a prospective employer off.