Promising Players for Mayo 2018

Started by mrhardyannual, September 30, 2017, 12:56:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrhardyannual

Even if we have few retirements from the 2017 Mayo team, there is a need to refresh the wider panel as it is obvious that many currently on it don't enthuse the management. Could those attending championship games over the weekend post names of players who show promise.

mrhardyannual

So far the only players named (not on existing Mayo Panel) are
Peter Naughton            Knockmore
Robert Molloy               Carramore/Hollymount
Conor Keane                Carramore/Hollymount
Kevin Feerick               Carramore/Hollymount
James McCormack        Claremorris
Conor Finnerty             Ballintubber
Jason  Gibbons             Ballintubber
James Durcan              Castlebar
Trevor Nally                 Garrymore
Ciaran Treacy               Ballina
No. 15 ?                       Ardnaree

ballinaman

Quote from: mrhardyannual on October 09, 2017, 02:08:35 PM
John Timlin from Ardnaree. 2 years minimum conditioning required IMO. Good footballer.

mayoman dan

Id say James Carr Fergal Boland and Shane Nally are the most likely to step up for want of a better word.Carr has the potential but may need to play at a higher level club wise.Another winter of strength and conditioning will do Boland the world of good and Nally has impressed with any chance he has got so far.Loftus needs gametime but i think he has already proved his worth.Anyone joining the panel for the first time will take 2 years minimum to get to the level of strength and conditioning required.Regan might be worth another shot but i think that ship might have sailed.

mrhardyannual

John Timlin                       Ardnaree
Caolan Crowe and Shane Nally have been in the panel now for two years. Nally made a few league appearances and kicked two enormous points v Ros when the game was done. Crowe looked to be the understudy for Full back but when it cut to the chase he wasn't involved. Coen and Drake were the "go to" subs on most occasions. Coen had a poor year and confidence looked shot but will probably come good. Drake has looked comfortable at the back but a drake out of water up front. If management don't fancy or trust the Garry boys they are as well to let them go. Otherwise they need to play constantly through the league to be properly assessed.

mayoman dan

[/quote]
Caolan Crowe and Shane Nally have been in the panel now for two years. Nally made a few league appearances and kicked two enormous points v Ros when the game was done. Crowe looked to be the understudy for Full back but when it cut to the chase he wasn't involved. Coen and Drake were the "go to" subs on most occasions. Coen had a poor year and confidence looked shot but will probably come good. Drake has looked comfortable at the back but a drake out of water up front. If management don't fancy or trust the Garry boys they are as well to let them go. Otherwise they need to play constantly through the league to be properly assessed.
[/quote]

I wouldnt judge them by time on the panel i believe Brendan Harrison was 2 years round the panel before he broke through and look how good he is now.I have to disagree with you about Drake.Maybe its just me but i dont see what he offers at all.Coen needs to be played at 6 for the league and let him develop in that role.He has potential but also a habit of giving the ball away needlessly at crucial stages.He gave the ball away very cheaply against Cork which led to their equaliser in normal time and he gave the ball away recklessly against Dublin which ended up with their free to win it.This needs to be worked on.The ideal situation for us is we use the league to find Coen possibly a midfielder and a forward to operate at the level required so we can have a bench including Boyle Andy and Seamus o se for the big games.

rosnarun

why would you put andy and boyle on the bench seamus maybe but only of some one better comes along.
I was very disappointed to see gibbons being let go last year as I thought he was really making a step up an a likely starter . wonder were there complicating factors.
as for andy age seem to the thing peole are using against him , he may or may not have 70 in him he's never been in better shapee in his career and he has improved as a footballer every year ive seen him play . While I don't rate boyle highly as a footballer and a player and a warrior he is unmatched . what he as done with his talents s remarkable
in regard to new players  I was very impressed with some of the Westport player last year and think the deserve a serious shot the like of
Colm Moran
Shane scott
Oisin McLoughlin
and pat lambert
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

mayoman dan

Quote from: rosnarun on October 11, 2017, 11:46:19 AM
why would you put andy and boyle on the bench seamus maybe but only of some one better comes along.
I was very disappointed to see gibbons being let go last year as I thought he was really making a step up an a likely starter . wonder were there complicating factors.
as for andy age seem to the thing peole are using against him , he may or may not have 70 in him he's never been in better shapee in his career and he has improved as a footballer every year ive seen him play . While I don't rate boyle highly as a footballer and a player and a warrior he is unmatched . what he as done with his talents s remarkable
in regard to new players  I was very impressed with some of the Westport player last year and think the deserve a serious shot the like of
Colm Moran
Shane scott
Oisin McLoughlin
and pat lambert

Because id prefer to have them on the pitch for the last 20 minutes as opposed to the first 20.I just dont think Andy has a full 70/75 minutes in him at the pace needed against the Dublins Kerrys.Maybe Boyle could start hes the greatest warrior ive ever seen in a Mayo jersey but id rather have him nailing anything that moves when the game is there to be won or lost.In an ideal world both of them would be starting but to beat Dublin we have to develop a bench and if Coen and say Loftus can step up and claim a spot who better to bring in for the last 20/25 mins off a tight game than Andy and Boyler.

Syferus

Quote from: mayoman dan on October 11, 2017, 10:04:54 PM
Colm Moran
Shane scott
Oisin McLoughlin
and pat lambert

Because id prefer to have them on the pitch for the last 20 minutes as opposed to the first 20.I just dont think Andy has a full 70/75 minutes in him at the pace needed against the Dublins Kerrys.Maybe Boyle could start hes the greatest warrior ive ever seen in a Mayo jersey but id rather have him nailing anything that moves when the game is there to be won or lost.In an ideal world both of them would be starting but to beat Dublin we have to develop a bench and if Coen and say Loftus can step up and claim a spot who better to bring in for the last 20/25 mins off a tight game than Andy and Boyler.

The game can be lost more easily in the first 50 than the last 20..

mayoman dan

Quote from: Syferus on October 11, 2017, 10:10:49 PM
Colm Moran
Shane scott
Oisin McLoughlin
and pat lambert

I understand that.Im not saying leave Andy and Boyle on the bench for the sake of it.Use to league to develop options and if Coen or Loftus or someone else are good enough start them

mrhardyannual

James Durcan gave a great display until black-carded in the Final. He was very prominent in the semi-final but less so in the replay. I was intrigued to see himself and Patrick standing together after the game. The effect of three years S&C on Patrick compared to his identical twin was remarkable. James may need a couple of years and there is no guarantee that he has the same mentality or dedication but I'd take a chance.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: mayoman dan on October 11, 2017, 10:16:40 PM
Quote from: Syferus on October 11, 2017, 10:10:49 PM
Colm Moran
Shane scott
Oisin McLoughlin
and pat lambert

I understand that.Im not saying leave Andy and Boyle on the bench for the sake of it.Use to league to develop options and if Coen or Loftus or someone else are good enough start them

I may get a wrap on the knuckles for saying this, but Coen to me hasn't been good enough. He appears slow and I can't really remember him improving the team when he came on.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

mayoman dan

I may get a wrap on the knuckles for saying this, but Coen to me hasn't been good enough. He appears slow and I can't really remember him improving the team when he came on.
[/quote]

He was very good when he came on in the 2016 replay.Id be hopeful thats the level he can get too and wait round.Anyways only one way to find out Farr.....roll on the league

mrhardyannual

Quote from: mayoman dan on October 26, 2017, 10:20:24 PM

He was very good when he came on in the 2016 replay.Id be hopeful thats the level he can get too and wait round.Anyways only one way to find out Farr.....roll on the league
[/quote]
I think he needs to be given a marking job in defense like he had on Diarmuid Connolly after Keegan got sent off in 2016. I have been watching him since he was a kid and I've never been fully convinced. He had a poor 2017 but was often brought in at midfield or as sweeper. Put him chb for the league and sink or swim.

bucko

Seen there today about Cian Hanley being released from contract by Brisbane. Could be worth a run next year in the league if he decides to come home?