Games on TV this weekend

Started by ck, February 18, 2020, 09:21:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyCake

Quote from: Angelo on May 13, 2020, 04:11:44 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on May 13, 2020, 02:19:02 PM
Quote from: Angelo on May 13, 2020, 11:55:32 AM
Many players get held back and dragged when the whistle has been long blown and they do retaliate and swing their arms back, they can have little complaint if they do get a red card but it happens but I'd say in the vast majority where there is no contact to a flailing arm then the referee just gets on with it.

That's just fact.

Could McMenamin have been sent off for this? Absolutely.
Was it a retaliatory action? Yes
Should McCann have also been yellow carded? Yes

When players are being held back and prevented from taking a quick free, it's natural reaction to swing your arms back to free yourself but one which players need to cognisant of that it could well and truly end up with them being given their marching orders.

Really it's a case where referees need to protect players who are the ones being provoked and this is a thing across the whole spectrum, sinners and sinned against.

Is it natural to do that though? I'm not sure it is.

A player who fouls an opponent, then holds on preventing a free being taken. If the ref stops play to book said player, he still achieves the stoppage as the free can't proceed until opponent is booked.

You do raise an interesting point though. A flailing arm has replaced a dig in the jaw, but I think it's still a striking action. Players always get away with it though, even if it connects with an opponent.

In the same way a forceful push/open hand strike to the neck/face has replaced a punch, as players also know they'd get red for a punch, but they won't get red for a push/open hand strike.

I've long said it, that we should follow soccers rule: any contact with the neck, face or head should be a straight red.

It is fairly common if players want to get on with the game they will want to free themselves and they will swing their arms back to do so.

Of course they have to be careful as doing so could get them sent off and as you said players will adapt and find other ways and means but I think referees certainly give players some leeway with this, if you connect though there is a good chance you'll get the line.

Refs give fouled players far too much leeway. Not even in terms of above, but also, how many times have attacking players kicked the ball against defender who can't get out of the way, to get 14 yards on a free? Or walk into a defender claiming they won't let them take the free?

Angelo

Quote from: BennyCake on May 13, 2020, 05:49:01 PM
Quote from: Angelo on May 13, 2020, 04:11:44 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on May 13, 2020, 02:19:02 PM
Quote from: Angelo on May 13, 2020, 11:55:32 AM
Many players get held back and dragged when the whistle has been long blown and they do retaliate and swing their arms back, they can have little complaint if they do get a red card but it happens but I'd say in the vast majority where there is no contact to a flailing arm then the referee just gets on with it.

That's just fact.

Could McMenamin have been sent off for this? Absolutely.
Was it a retaliatory action? Yes
Should McCann have also been yellow carded? Yes

When players are being held back and prevented from taking a quick free, it's natural reaction to swing your arms back to free yourself but one which players need to cognisant of that it could well and truly end up with them being given their marching orders.

Really it's a case where referees need to protect players who are the ones being provoked and this is a thing across the whole spectrum, sinners and sinned against.

Is it natural to do that though? I'm not sure it is.

A player who fouls an opponent, then holds on preventing a free being taken. If the ref stops play to book said player, he still achieves the stoppage as the free can't proceed until opponent is booked.

You do raise an interesting point though. A flailing arm has replaced a dig in the jaw, but I think it's still a striking action. Players always get away with it though, even if it connects with an opponent.

In the same way a forceful push/open hand strike to the neck/face has replaced a punch, as players also know they'd get red for a punch, but they won't get red for a push/open hand strike.

I've long said it, that we should follow soccers rule: any contact with the neck, face or head should be a straight red.

It is fairly common if players want to get on with the game they will want to free themselves and they will swing their arms back to do so.

Of course they have to be careful as doing so could get them sent off and as you said players will adapt and find other ways and means but I think referees certainly give players some leeway with this, if you connect though there is a good chance you'll get the line.

Refs give fouled players far too much leeway. Not even in terms of above, but also, how many times have attacking players kicked the ball against defender who can't get out of the way, to get 14 yards on a free? Or walk into a defender claiming they won't let them take the free?

Plenty but GAA refs tend to be suckers who consistently fall for the same old tricks.

You'll have lads lad Maurice Deegan seeing this happen in front of his nose and fall for it and he'll then be able to spot fouls 70 yards away at the other end of the pitch.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

tonto1888

Angelo, as you are finding it hard to follow who said what I suggest you have a look at the conversation between you and Benny at replies 55-57. This is where it being during play and what not was brought up.
I have replies numbers 59 and 61. Read them
Ethan then come son at numbers 66 and 68. He also mentions during play and what not.

My next replies are 76 and 81. Read them. You reply at 82 saying I defended McGrane by saying it was during play, plenty of players tackle with a closed fist, it was mistimed. At this stage I haven't said anything of the sort. We exchange a few more messages 83-86. You double down on what you believe I said. We exchange more messages 95-96, 99, 101 and 103-104, during which we repeat the same thing. Go read through them and you will see you are mistaken. And it's ok to be mistaken. It's even ok to admit it. If I had said those things I would stand by them as I would have believed them. I didn't say those things and nor do I think any of them can be used as an excuse or to defend McGrane. They aren't and they can't.
That said I still stand by my statement that you cannot say for certain that McGrane meant to do Jordan. Maybe he did. Probably he did even. But maybe he didn't. That doesn't matter and it was a red card offence and he should have got the line.
Hope that clears things up for you pal.
And yes, I am bored hahaha.

Angelo

GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

tonto1888

Quote from: Angelo on May 13, 2020, 08:54:07 PM
Ye all look the same to me.

;D

It's the smell. Diesel and buckfast haha

Milltown Row2

Antrim v Offaly I think is on today! Oh to be back at Croker
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

ONeill

Kerry fouled the fcuk outta Roscommon in that second half in 1980.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: ONeill on June 14, 2020, 08:57:21 PM
Kerry fouled the fcuk outta Roscommon in that second half in 1980.

Not the first time they fouled anyone I'd say.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Orior

The 1980 Armagh v Roscommon semi-final was an interesting one too.

Shame on me for not knowing, but who was the Armagh Manager? What was the reason for the collapse?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

kopite

https://www.irishnews.com/sport/gaafootball/2020/05/16/news/from-nowhere-to-croker-how-gerry-o-neill-transformed-armagh-in-the-1970s-1940329/
Good read on Gerry O'Neill ,Armagh manager of that period and older brother of Martin..
On the match itself it's the forgotten  classic semi of 1980..the one where Matt Connor scored 2-9 was entertaining but was never a contest with Kerry leading by double figures for long periods..final score was 2-20 to 3-11..
That Roscommon team scored 2-13 in the second half and were contesting their 4th semi in a row with many fine players especially in defense..they lost to a declining Dublin in '79 semi final which would have given them final experience like Offaly got in '81..that said we missed a great chance v Kerry who were missing the great Eoin Liston through appendicitis operation..that also got involved with Kerry which was a mistake because that great Kerry team could beat you anyway you wanted to play it and were overall physically tougher than us with Tim Keneally outstanding on the day..
We had three thrilling semi finals with Armagh in a 4 season period and there is always a great affinity between the two counties ...in fact in 1982 they played a 3 match series in New York and San Francisco which was a great trip by all accounts..

ONeill

Were there many players on that good Roscommon side of that time who played for the fine Clann na Gael side a few years later?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

kopite

The McManus brothers Eamon and Tony..both gave long service to club and county..

toby47

Have BBC released what league games they will be showing?

Redhand Santa

Quote from: toby47 on January 17, 2023, 08:57:50 AM
Have BBC released what league games they will be showing?

All I've seen so far is they're showing Armagh Monaghan on the I player next week. That game is down for 6.30 and Mayo/Galway on RTE at 7.30, you'd think they could have avoided the overlap and had Monaghan game at 6.