Hurling 2022

Started by Dag Dog, January 17, 2022, 02:42:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: seafoid on August 12, 2022, 10:37:17 AM
Munster is hyper competitive with 5 teams fighting for 3 slots. Margins are thin.
I just remember Tipp collapsing in 2018 and winning the All Ireland the following year.

And that may still happen, just think unless he's changed styles I cant see how he'll improve a decent team like Waterford
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

marty34

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on August 12, 2022, 09:52:51 AM
He's won a host of all Irelands, 2 colleges and a club all Ireland... I said two in reference to something he said to Mullane..

No one is disputing his abilities or records but you said it he's a binlid, that Clare team he managed to win an All Ireland should have won 2 more, they were a great team. But took a replay to beat Cork and I think went out against Wexford next year.

I just don't see how he can improve this team from where they are, all the shouting can get a bit distracting.

Waterford, it was an unlucky year for them and potentially contenders as physicality is good, goal scoring ability and a free taker.. let's see

A lot of the Davy Show is to distract attention from the players I think, for one reason or another.

A lot, in the part to, poor performances on the pitch, he create or say something to distract from on-field goings on.

marty34

Quote from: johnnycool on August 12, 2022, 10:22:27 AM
Quote from: imtommygunn on August 12, 2022, 10:00:01 AM
He has a short lifespan but he may improve Waterford. I think teams get a lot more physical under him as the level of commitment he wants is like Rory Gallagher levels of commitment.

If you read about the Clare win in 2013 you'll see the fingerprints of Paul Kinnerk all over that team and in the replay for once they attacked a poor Cork defence and got the goals that killed the game.
Davy's conservative approach to the game gets teams so far in terms of staying in the game but if they're chasing the game he's shown little signs of being flexible enough to go at teams, the replay in 2013 is the exception, hence why I bring it up.

I pity the poor forward in Waterford who'll be expected to win ball with three defenders around them like McDonald of Wexford and poor Maurice Shanahan during his first stint in Waterford.

Waterford have one of the strongest panels about, had a terrible Munster championship for whatever reason, it's probably the strongest panel Davy has ever managed, so we'll see how he brings them to the next level..

I'd say Davy's biggest disappointment was in 2019 in the semi-final V Tipp and they were 4 or 5 pts up with less than 20 mins left. Mc Grath of Tipp was sent off and Wexford through away a fantastic chance to win an All-Ireland, never mind getting to a final.

That was a major black mark on his CV.

Wexford will never have a better chance.

johnnycool

Quote from: marty34 on August 12, 2022, 02:24:11 PM
He has a short lifespan but he may improve Waterford. I think teams get a lot more physical under him as the level of commitment he wants is like Rory Gallagher levels of commitment.

If you read about the Clare win in 2013 you'll see the fingerprints of Paul Kinnerk all over that team and in the replay for once they attacked a poor Cork defence and got the goals that killed the game.
Davy's conservative approach to the game gets teams so far in terms of staying in the game but if they're chasing the game he's shown little signs of being flexible enough to go at teams, the replay in 2013 is the exception, hence why I bring it up.

I pity the poor forward in Waterford who'll be expected to win ball with three defenders around them like McDonald of Wexford and poor Maurice Shanahan during his first stint in Waterford.

Waterford have one of the strongest panels about, had a terrible Munster championship for whatever reason, it's probably the strongest panel Davy has ever managed, so we'll see how he brings them to the next level..

I'd say Davy's biggest disappointment was in 2019 in the semi-final V Tipp and they were 4 or 5 pts up with less than 20 mins left. Mc Grath of Tipp was sent off and Wexford through away a fantastic chance to win an All-Ireland, never mind getting to a final.

Yip, but they retreated into a very defensive mode and allowed Tipp to pick them off rather than keep the pressure on up the field..

That's Davy.

marty34

Quote from: johnnycool on August 12, 2022, 02:26:41 PM
Quote from: marty34 on August 12, 2022, 02:24:11 PM

Yip, but they retreated into a very defensive mode and allowed Tipp to pick them off rather than keep the pressure on up the field..

That's Davy.

Yeah, if they had to have kept playing the way they were playing, they'd have been in an All-Ireland Final for sure.

A lot of Wexford people unhappy the 'tactics' used in the last 20 mins of that game, 4 or 5 pts up and more importantly, a man up.

Bad decisions on the line or by the players on the pitch. Be interesting to see what was instructions were issued at that time and by whom?

I see Davy's side-kick is now appointed as Meath's manager.

seafoid

https://www.rte.ie/sport/hurling/2022/0730/1313120-plunkett-inter-county-prep-now-at-a-different-level/

Everybody stays involved in the hurling - we're all addicted to the game. I'll be assuming there'll be a Junior C club somewhere looking for a hurling fruitcake to do a bit of work with them or something like that."

Cheddar Plunkett
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

seafoid

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/gaa/antrim/antrim-dominate-joe-mcdonagh-cup-team-of-the-year-selections-after-superb-season-for-county-hurlers-42079073.html
Joe McDonagh Team of the Year: Ryan Elliot (Antrim); Joe Maskey (Antrim), Gerard Walsh (Antrim), Eoin Ross (Kerry); Fionan Mackessy (Kerry), Eoghan Campbell (Antrim), Mikey Boyle (Kerry); Keelan Molloy (Antrim), David Nally (Offaly); Martin Kavanagh (Carlow), Chris Nolan (Carlow), Daithí Sands (Down); Conal Cunning (Antrim), Pádraig Boyle (Kerry), Ciarán Clarke (Antrim).

johnnycool

Tipp club final on TG4 yesterday was a good watch.

Both teams trading the lead in the last 10 minutes, Niall O'Meara with some great scores for Kilruane but their No10 or 12 who was back sweeping slipping and sliding about coughed up a soft goal for Kildangan.

Time to get the aluminium studs in there instead of the slippers.

Replay next Sunday, but alas probably won't be on TG4..

seafoid

Clonoulty didn't make it to the final. Dillon Quirke, their county star, died during a match in the summer.

seafoid

1 Nickie Quaid (Limerick); 2 Mikey Butler (Kilkenny), 3 Huw Lawlor (Kilkenny), 4 Barry Nash (Limerick); 5 Diarmaid Byrnes (Limerick), 6 Declan Hannon (Limerick), 7 Padraic Mannion (Galway); 8 David Fitzgerald (Clare), 9 Adrian Mullen (Kilkenny); 10 Gearoid Hegarty (Limerick), 11 Kyle Hayes (Limerick), 12 Shane O'Donnell (Clare); 13 Aaron Gillane (Limerick), 14 TJ Reid (Kilkenny), 15 Tony Kelly (Clare)

Capt Pat

Limerick 7, Kilkenny 4, Clare 3 and Galway 1. Kilkenny who walloped Clare only got one more all star. Clare who drew with Limerick 3 times over 70 minutes in competitive games got 3 to Limericks 7.

imtommygunn

Not sure Clare deserved three. Corner back tough - Finn one of the best ever. Almost suffered because his reputation precedes him.

seafoid

Quote from: imtommygunn on October 29, 2022, 08:52:33 AM
Not sure Clare deserved three. Corner back tough - Finn one of the best ever. Almost suffered because his reputation precedes him.
I don't think it was a great year for hurling. Limerick are way out in front. All Ireland finalist doesn't really mean much.
A bit like 07 when Limerick were the bridesmaids.
All stars are basically given to provincial winners and all Ireland finalists. Kilkenny are not the finished article. So they aren't going to get 6
What would Jesus do ?